You Want to Build Your Own Range? Hints and Tips. (Pic Heavy)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I was lucky enough to be there for NFA day in 2012...the property is even more beautiful than the pictures make it seem. OP and his family are amazing hosts and a credit to this community. :ingo:

One of these days I'll buy a house with enough land to build a range.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    To paraphrase John Denver "Almost Heaven, So. Central Indiana...." Truly beautiful and inspiring. Thanks for sharing and likely giving form to many peoples dreams. If I may ask, was the house already squared away or did you have to put work into that? Here in Ohio, when I look at similar property in the country, the house always seems to be a money pit if the package is reasonably priced.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    To paraphrase John Denver "Almost Heaven, So. Central Indiana...." Truly beautiful and inspiring. Thanks for sharing and likely giving form to many peoples dreams. If I may ask, was the house already squared away or did you have to put work into that? Here in Ohio, when I look at similar property in the country, the house always seems to be a money pit if the package is reasonably priced.

I think the answer to your question would be "mostly yes." A fairly well-off couple owned the house for two years with the intention of making it a weekend home. They remodeled the kitchen. Other areas had been poorly painted. There were some electrical issues that we fixed. We've had many smaller fix-it projects to improve the house since we've been here. The barn/garage was a pit. I spent a fair amount of time there.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Very nice write up! I have to agree range setup seems to never be done. I have found myself changing things each year. Although a lot of work, it makes for a very nice time when friends come over to shoot.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Very nice report, and nice also seeing all the green and trees and ridges makes me miss Brown County. (But not enough to move back, at least in winter. I just opened my living room window to let some warmer air in the house.)

Have you ever had any problems with people unexpectedly encroaching on the range while it's hot, i.e. hikers passing through? Do you have the property line marked?

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Very nice report, and nice also seeing all the green and trees and ridges makes me miss Brown County. (But not enough to move back, at least in winter. I just opened my living room window to let some warmer air in the house.)

Have you ever had any problems with people unexpectedly encroaching on the range while it's hot, i.e. hikers passing through? Do you have the property line marked?

Interesting question.

The property lines are not marked. None of the property sits on a county road. There are neighboring parcels all around it so it's not easy for someone to just wonder onto our place.

Haven't had any people come onto the range while we're shooting. Had a dog one time that wouldn't leave the target area while we wanted to shoot. And have occasionally had deer wonder around.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Interesting question.

The property lines are not marked. None of the property sits on a county road. There are neighboring parcels all around it so it's not easy for someone to just wonder onto our place.

Haven't had any people come onto the range while we're shooting. Had a dog one time that wouldn't leave the target area while we wanted to shoot. And have occasionally had deer wonder around.

Boy that was one dumb dog!

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

. Had a dog one time that wouldn't leave the target area while we wanted to shoot. And have occasionally had deer wonder around.

Heh. Well, you're in good company as far as ranges go. When I was stationed in California, I used to go shoot at Lake Piru in the Los Padres forest, I guess it was Wes Thompson's range. It was a big flat valley with very tall ridges on each side that allowed multiple ranges on both sides. You just had to watch out for the cows -- they ran cattle in the valley, and often I had to slowly edge through the herd as I drove to one of the bays. Occasionally we had to stop shooting if a cow decided to "play through," they didn't seem to be too awed by the noise. Watch where you step, too.

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Excellent write up! Thank you for sharing your experiences and pictures of your beautiful property. My wife and I are about to that point where it is time to move to a newer home and If I have the chance I will be looking for some property with natural hills etc. I am sure I will be back reading through this thread again and again, especially if I am in a position to put in my own range.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Excellent write up and beautiful range! Thank you for taking the time to share that. Rep sent. As DB said, worth more than +10 but that is all I have to give. :)

Top Bottom