You Want to Build Your Own Range? Hints and Tips. (Pic Heavy)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    How do you ever get any work done!? I would be out there all day! Beautiful property, very nice set up! Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

It surprises many people to learn that I don't shoot all the time. I far more enjoy sharing the range with others. The main time I shoot alone is if I'm doing load development.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It surprises many people to learn that I don't shoot all the time. I far more enjoy sharing the range with others. The main time I shoot alone is if I'm doing load development.
    Funny, I find the same thing. The vast majority of my shooting is when someone else is visiting and shooting.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

The last year you had the NFA (noob) shoot there, I was selected. But, my boss wouldn't let me have the time off.
    He's no longer employed where I work.
    Karma.

I'm keeping an eye out in case someone decides to start them back up.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    This was great! Thank you for all of the ideas and pictures! I am planning a build in my backyard this Spring.. you just helped me out a ton!
    I only wish I was closer to you to come over and try out all of your ideas.
    Thanks again!!

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Went to my first appleseed at your place. Wonderful location. I always wanted to ask you if you weren't concerned about all the lead you were putting in the water of your pond?

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Went to my first appleseed at your place. Wonderful location. I always wanted to ask you if you weren't concerned about all the lead you were putting in the water of your pond?

Good question.

The lead represented by rounds in backstop soils is fairly stable. The leaching rate would be very slow.

As for the pond, very few rounds hit the water and many of those rounds were full metal jacketed rounds so the total amount of exposed lead is likely to be small. The pond has about 7 million gallons of water in it at any one time. The watershed feeding the pond is about 64 acres and there are springs supplying water to the pond so there is a robust turnover of water during much of the year.

So, no, I don't worry about lead in the pond.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    All you need now is a shot cam for the long range shots. (VIEW 720P HD video on a phone or tablet)

Going to try setting one up at the INGO shoot in April. I built one, but havent had time to try it out.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Figured I post a pic of my little home range it's been a work in progress lots of tree clearing but about got it finished
    Need more steel will be visiting bobcat steel next week lol

2hgd9qb.jpg

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    All you need now is a shot cam for the long range shots. (VIEW 720P HD video on a phone or tablet)

Going to try setting one up at the INGO shoot in April. I built one, but havent had time to try it out.

That has the potential to be very cool! I look forward to your thread showing everyone how it worked out. :yesway:

Figured I post a pic of my little home range it's been a work in progress lots of tree clearing but about got it finished
    Need more steel will be visiting bobcat steel next week lol

Thanks for the picture. You put in a lot of work. It looks nice. Being wide, you can do some interesting practice exercises. The hill is a great backstop!

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I only looked at the main post. So if this has come up already, forgive me. If that dam is holding in the pond, you may want to consider the erosion and damage to the outside surface. Some dams are regulated by the DNR and there are inspection criteria and guidelines for that sort of thing. Indiana is pretty lenient about most of those things, and I'm not sure they make all the regular inspections like they would in some states, but it could be a consideration.
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/water/2458.htm

Last edited:
    Top Bottom