• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    First off, I know everyone’s gonna say don’t listen to anyone on here and get a lawyer to double check, but wanted to get a few opinions. So I was either 17 or 18, which was 28 years ago, and I shot myself in the wrist. I was scared to death, and since I was able to move everything with no restrictions. I self treated the gunshot wound. From my research, I was extremely lucky that it did not get infected. Apparently I did a pretty good job. Now, 28 years later, I am starting to have a lot of pain in my wrist. If I go to the doctor, I'm obviously going to have to tell them what happened. Is there any repercussions I could be facing? I don’t know if that’s something the Dr. will still report. Don’t want a police report opened up and a possibility of my stuff being confiscated.
    Had a friend that went the doctor. They did an X-ray. Doc asked, “did you know you have bullets in you”? “Yes, got shot in a bar years ago”. That was about the extent of it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    W5480.jpg

Personally, I feel that sign is racist toward Silhouette-Americans.

I thought it meant no Boris Badnov.

boris.jpg

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Go to the doctor. It'll be fine. Accidentally shooting yourself is not a crime.

I took a piece of jacket to the top of the head off of a steel plate last year. We were about 15 yards away, well beyond the marked minimum distance, but they'd just replaced the brackets on the plate rack so the plates were sitting at an almost perfect 90 degrees instead of having the normal forward lean. The next thing you know there's a stinging sensation on top of my head and blood running down my face. My buddy cleaned it up with stuff out of the med kit in my car, it stopped bleeding, and we went back to shooting (not at that steel!).

A month later and it still wasn't healed completely. Nothing horrible, but it was still kinda tender. I put my hand up there one night and thought I felt something sharp. I had my wife grab a flashlight and a pair of pliers and she pulled a fragment of copper bullet jacket out of my head. I had to put up with her calling me an idiot (again), but she must have got it all because it healed up fine after that.

Lessons learned:

1. Don't shoot the plate rack with jacketed ammo.
    2. Always wear a hat (normally I do. That day I didn't.)
    3. Always wear eye pro (I always do, and was)
    4. Find a different, more observant buddy next time I need patched up/amateur surgery performed
    5. My wife is a bad*** but she clearly cares more about the kids than me because she passed out in the exam room when the Dr. set my daughter's broken arm, but was perfectly ok with pulling chunks of metal out of my head!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Make a necklace out of the piece of copper. decades ago, when I got shot, they would not give me the recovered bullet. Bummed me out.

Very early in my detective career I had a jeweler who was shot in a robbery ask for the recovered bullet. He obviously survived and wanted to make it into jewelry. Once it was no longer required evidence, I released it to him. .44 hardcast, IIRC.

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    Cobra.jpg
    I am not a professional carpenter so there was no workers compensation claim filed. I was inebriated doing some work on my house. I kinda forgot to read the whole instruction manual.
    Sorry!
    The above is a plausible explanation that I could testify to happening at least once.
    Could does not imply "willing ".
    MH

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    You will be fine, even if the doctors reported a three decade old injury what is the police going to do arrest you for shooting your self?

Heck Tex recorded it and went to the hospital just fine too

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    "Hey Doc, I am having trouble with an old bullet wound from 28 years ago." Do you really think that doctor is going to research whether or not it was reported 28 years ago? Jim.

Top Bottom