• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Hey all just going thru a old box and found a pocket knife my dad carried.. he had bought me one identical to it for Christmas when I was 10. (mine the ex wife threw out with about 10 other knives I had in a bag years ago..:rolleyes:) Nothing fancy, a Sears Craftsman- 5 function type. Its shows the sharpening he did on the can opener/knife sharpener we had on the kitchen counter...
    So , what do you all still have from pops?? I will post a pic later.. lets hear about them and see them. Merry Christmas!!

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have the 1911 he used as a target pistol in the late 50's and early 60's. The locking lugs had been shot pretty loose, so I acquired a Remington-Rand barrel and slide to match the frame. I also put the correct safety and other parts to make it as it was in 1943. It is now like the one he would have carried on Okinawa.
    I also have his and my father-in-law's dog tags from WWII.
    The greatest generation will never die.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    attachment.php

My 1951 Allis Chalmers B. Dad bought it in '93. It was an impulse buy because it reminded him of his Dad's first new tractor when he started farming.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    For a tractor: I have the 1965 Jim Dandy lawn and garden that my dad bought new (I was with him when he picked it out and spent a lot of time mowing the yard on it) with all the implements, snow plow, cultivator, mowing deck...just can't find blades for it anymore.

For a knife: I have a well used Kabar 3 bladed stockman with antler stocks.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Dad carried a Buck folder on his belt. He ran it razor sharp. As in use it to shave sharp. I remember he would have small bald patches on his forearm from testing its sharpness as he worked the edge. It sits in the vault with his MCSD special deputy badge.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    A brother got the Marbles sheath knife from the 40's, I have an old pearl handled pocket knife used to clean his pipe back in the 60's. Also recently realized I posses a lot of the guttural grunts and gestures that he had.....OMG, am I turning into our Dad?

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Dad's got a Paul knife I like. But I doubt I'm in the will. Probably be lucky if anyone tells me when he passes.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    A small mentioned in another thread, I got my dad’s bowling ball when he passed since his wife couldn’t think of any use for it. I do have an old Camillus Boy Scout knife that my grandpa had as a scout leader.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I have an old Solingen hunting knife my dad inherited from my grandfather. I remember watching him skin rabbits with it nearly sixty years ago.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Between my 2 grandpas and dad I have 28 blades of various heritage and quality. I will not part with any of them because they all have memories attached of hunting, butchering, carving etc.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    My brother got my dads knife. He always carried a 2 blade Old Timer. The longer blade was usually dull from using it as a prybar or screw driver or who knows what else. The shorter blade was always sharp as he could keep it. I got his old cowboy hats. He had one he would wear while working that was about wore out and another "good" one he had for church and weddings.

Top Bottom