Your favorite Survival/Post-apoc/Disaster movies?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Two season TV series from BBC called Survivors. About what happens after a virus wipes out most of mankind.

Wish they continued it. No big super heroes, just a group of people that find each other and what happens along the way.

Haven't watched it in a few years, maybe I should spool it up again to be sure it is as good as I remember.

Yes it is. It still holds up well... assuming youre talking about the re-imagined series

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Two season TV series from BBC called Survivors. About what happens after a virus wipes out most of mankind.

Wish they continued it. No big super heroes, just a group of people that find each other and what happens along the way.

Haven't watched it in a few years, maybe I should spool it up again to be sure it is as good as I remember.

Found it on Netflix. Have to check it out!

Thanks.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yes it is. It still holds up well... assuming youre talking about the re-imagined series

Re-imagined? So one before 2008?

I am intrigued

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors_(2008_TV_series)
    According to the producers, the series is not a remake of the 1970s BBC television series Survivors (1975–1977), created by Terry Nation, but rather is loosely based on the novel of the same name that Nation wrote following the first series of the 1970s programme

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    I liked the movie "Defiance" ...it is a movie about the true story of the Bielske brothers whom during the German invasion/occupation of Poland in WW2, successfully defied the Nazis and effectively led a resistance against them. Not your typical EOTW/disaster film, but for those people at that point in history it was TEOTW for them! ...and yet they had the will to survive and so they did.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I liked the movie "Defiance" ...it is a movie about the true story of the Bielske brothers whom during the German invasion/occupation of Poland in WW2, successfully defied the Nazis and effectively led a resistance against them. Not your typical EOTW/disaster film, but for those people at that point in history it was TEOTW for them! ...and yet they had the will to survive and so they did.

:yesway:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Mycroft

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis area
    Hands down, most enjoyable survival/disaster flick: Blast From The Past
    Christopher Walken as a brilliant scientist builds the ultimate bomb shelter in the early 1960's. Because of the Cuban Missile Crisis, he ushers his pregnant wife (Sissy Spacek) into the shelter where they live for 30 years (time lock) and raise their son (Brenden Frasier).
    If you haven't seen it, I don't want to provide anymore details - that would spoil the fun.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Some of them are more realistic and unsettling than others. I still enjoy the genre but I look at them much different than I did 15 years or so ago. Stay away from The Day After.

Yes, watching The Day After reminded me that no one even seems to worry about nuclear war anymore. We should remember what governments do when they get desperate: they start a war to fuel patriotism.

I'm not sure how much we can do for ourselves though if numerous nuclear weapons start flying.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    51_box_348x490_original.jpg

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Not a movie, but I love The Walking Dead.
    The list that I have seen:
    The Book of Eli
    The Postman
    Waterworld
    I am Legend
    Children of Men
    The Day After Tomorrow
    Red Dawn (original)
    Mad Max (both)
    Volcano
    San Andreas
    Deep Impact
    Armageddon
    Independence Day (would be a huge disaster of aliens invaded)
    The Stand

Not a true disaster film, that's 31 less Democrat electoral votes.

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    Leaving out zombie movies.....
    The original Mad Max does NOT hold up well. Avoid it unless you absolutely have to see it.

Seriously, Dude? Cats screaming around on vintage Kawasaki bikes? HOW does that not hold up well? (Or do I just miss my old KZ 650 too much?)

Also, I haven't clicked through the whole thread but did anyone mention Omega Man?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Seriously, Dude? Cats screaming around on vintage Kawasaki bikes? HOW does that not hold up well? (Or do I just miss my old KZ 650 too much?)

Also, I haven't clicked through the whole thread but did anyone mention Omega Man?

I like Mad Max, but BOY it's dated. Road Warrior, and after, hold up well because you can't really put your finger on the era.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I like Mad Max, but BOY it's dated. Road Warrior, and after, hold up well because you can't really put your finger on the era.

I just watched the Mad Max movies over the last few weeks. I actually liked the first one best as there was some contrast between society normalcy and "gone all crazy". The most odd thing IMO was that those at home or in restaurants had a plentiful supply of food. It was like the writers just decided not to deal with that as a potential problem.

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    Netflix (and the title shown in the movie) is Tomorrow When the War Began. Unless there's another movie about a bunch of Aussie teens fighting an invasion?

No, that's the one. I was typing the title off the top of my head. They're supposed to have made a sequel in 2015, but I can't find much info about it.

The Professor

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I just watched the Mad Max movies over the last few weeks. I actually liked the first one best as there was some contrast between society normalcy and "gone all crazy". The most odd thing IMO was that those at home or in restaurants had a plentiful supply of food. It was like the writers just decided not to deal with that as a potential problem.
    The original Mad Max was to have taken place on the tipping edge of the disaster that ruined it all.

That is why the people are either semi-normal or bonkers.

When The Road Warrior came out it was after the fall. Society had collapsed and all that.

Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome was a mistake to grab ratings from Tina and Mel. I guess I should watch it again this decade to see if I still agree, but that movie was a poke in the eye to the series.

Newest release was pretty good, for what it was. I don't think it followed the original series as far as what, when and how. But as a stand alone it was decent.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Is anyone else watching 'Occupied' on Netflix? The first season was released a couple weeks ago and I am already through it all. Its a foreign film, set in Norway. When the Norwegians are speaking to each other its subtitled, but when any other nationality is speaking, its in English.

To set the stage, in the near future the US is reverted to a more isolationist country and is completely energy independent, the middle east is in turmoil and isn't exporting oil like it used to. Norway has invented a new technology, Thorium Reaction, as an alternative clean energy to nuclear. As a result they have cut production of oil and gas to Europe. The EU is pissed and bends the prime minister of Norway over the table threatening war if they don't re-start oil production. As an insurance policy, the EU teams up with Russia to 'provide strategic "assistance" to help Norway hit their production goals faster'. So Russia comes in and basically they just never leave. I think the proper term is a 'soft-invasion'. By the time the Norwegian government realizes the Russians are never going to leave, its pretty much too late.

The first season is very political thriller/law enforcement type with a touch of underground resistance movement and spy games thrown in. It appears that season two will be focused on the resistance movement/all out war with the Russians.

I also have to mention that I feel the cinematic quality is quite good. On par with a HBO or Showtime series here in the States. And if nothing else, watch it just to **** of the Russians, who denounced the whole project!

Top Bottom