• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raye7r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2009
    Parke County
    My grandson who we raised took his life here at home. He had just broke up with his girl. He came home, did laundry, cut up and stacked a tree that had blew down in the back yard. We had plans to go deer hunting in the morning. Both officers on the scene indicated i could get the firearm back when things settled down. I went to get it today, it is an old Helwan Beretta clone, no particular significance except it was ours. We were his guardians. I was told they were keeping it. No doubt it was a suicide. Does that sound right. Wife and I would rather have it here. Just curious what the law is regarding it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm not a lawyer.

But seems to me, police can only take things for evidence.
    If there is no crime, there shouldn't need to be evidence.

But... better to hear that from a lawyer than me.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I am very sorry for your loss. My son did the same with a handgun I had given him back before he went to Iraq. I don't want it back and the NCPD never offered.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm not a lawyer.

But seems to me, police can only take things for evidence.
    If there is no crime, there shouldn't need to be evidence.

But... better to hear that from a lawyer than me.

Thats my thinking. Under what authority are they holding it unless waiting for the final word.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Man, I am very sorry to hear this. From you too wolfhound. I hope you guys can handle it well on a daily basis, it's got to be tough.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My grandson who we raised took his life here at home. He had just broke up with his girl. He came home, did laundry, cut up and stacked a tree that had blew down in the back yard. We had plans to go deer hunting in the morning. Both officers on the scene indicated i could get the firearm back when things settled down. I went to get it today, it is an old Helwan Beretta clone, no particular significance except it was ours. We were his guardians. I was told they were keeping it. No doubt it was a suicide. Does that sound right. Wife and I would rather have it here. Just curious what the law is regarding it.

So sorry to hear this.
    I had a friend go through this last year.
    Her grandson shot himself the day before deer season opened.
    She got the gun back after the initial investigation.
    Bartholomew County. I would think the law is the law but different jurisdictions may hold different answers.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Signs of Suicide: How to Help | Military.com

Signs of Suicide: How to Help

30,000 Americans commit the act each year and an additional 500,000 Americans attempt suicide annually

suicide is the third leading cause of death for young people ages 15 to 24, and the fourth leading cause of death among 25 to 44-year-olds in the United States. On average, 22 veterans die by suicide each day

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I would think the gun should be returned to you as the rightful owner.

I am very sorry to hear you are going through this. I have many friends/family who have been through this. Reach out for help if needed...there are counselors and groups that can help if you need it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I know of one gun that was used in a suicide in Indiana and it was returned to the family. So I would not say that it's a absolute loss of firearms. Kirk or Guy should be able to shed some light.

So sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your family. A friend of mine did the same thing over a girl back in high school. So sad.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I know of one gun that was used in a suicide in Indiana and it was returned to the family. So I would not say that it's a absolute loss of firearms. Kirk or Guy should be able to shed some light.

So sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your family. A friend of mine did the same thing over a girl back in high school. So sad.

Same. Aunt got her firearm back.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This is all to often the case. Over a girl. There are lots and lots of girls. This is indicative of a deeper issue that often goes overlooked. A friends son (I knew the young man since he was 10 or so) did this. Attempted suicide over a girl friend. During the counseling after this attempt it came to light he had deeper issues.
    Not seen the young man for a few years now but I understand he does see a councilor regularly.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    First, prayers for you and your family.

Second, you should be able to receive the firearm back. I also know of an individual who had been in the same situation, and he was able to get the shotgun back.

Top Bottom