Your first license to carry, what state and what first carry piece.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2019
    Nashville
    I got my first carry permit in 1988 in Indiana. My first carry was a stainless Ruger Security Six. It is still one that I carry from time to time. It also shoots as well as it did in the early years.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Indiana, 2014. I didn't have much money at the time, so I purchased a cheap EAA Windicator... foolishly thinking that it would be a decent carry gun. I quickly realized how heavy the gun was for the size, and the fact that .357 mag out of the 2 inch barrel was a little too much too handle for my young, inexperienced hands. Now I switch between the S&W M&P 2.0C in 9mm, and the Walther PPS M2 depending on the clothes that I'm wearing.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Late 90's in Michigan. Got the permit when you had to set in front of the board, that consisted of the MI State Police, County Sherriff, and County Prosecutor. At that time MI State Police did not want anyone to have a permit. I got mine when I was allowed to ask questions at the end of my interview. My question was a rhetorical one, " On patrol cars back in the days prior, it use to say "SERVE AND PROTECT". My question was SERVE AND PROTECT who? I then answered my question with TO SERVE AND PROTECT THE COMMUNITY. So question was to the board, Who's responsibility is it to protect the individual? The county sheriff and prosecutor signed my license. Both the county sheriff and prosecutor were pro 2nd amendment.

NQ9G

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2018
    Crawfordsville
    My first license was Ohio in '14 (where I grew up, and the state I was a legal resident of throughout my college years at Purdue) and my first carry gun was a Sig P250 subcompact in 9mm. Obtained my license and purchased that firearm very shortly after my 21st birthday when I was eligible to do so. A few years after that, got my Indiana license when I graduated and started working full time. Still have both that license as a souvenir as well as the P250, although I don't carry it frequently anymore (Alternate between a G43 and a P365 now).

Ed B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2015
    Grant Co.
    Indiana, Jan. 2014, took about 10 days to get lifetime permit. Started with Glock 19, now usually Sig 938 or Glock 26. Happy New Year!

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Indiana. 1986.
    did not carry but had to get either hunting or personal protection petmit in order to hunt deer with a handgun.
    Don's Guns had an article on a display case telling customers "how to" apply and that Indiana is a Shall Issue state ;however, they did not use that tetm from what I remember.

I stll don't since it is generally uncomfortable.
    I just want to have the permit to travel to the range & if I carry concealed in the yard.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    1996 here in Indiana, started off with a Glock 27. Had a job that took me into some pretty shady areas on a regular basis.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Late 90's in Michigan. Got the permit when you had to set in front of the board, that consisted of the MI State Police, County Sherriff, and County Prosecutor. At that time MI State Police did not want anyone to have a permit. I got mine when I was allowed to ask questions at the end of my interview. My question was a rhetorical one, " On patrol cars back in the days prior, it use to say "SERVE AND PROTECT". My question was SERVE AND PROTECT who? I then answered my question with TO SERVE AND PROTECT THE COMMUNITY. So question was to the board, Who's responsibility is it to protect the individual? The county sheriff and prosecutor signed my license. Both the county sheriff and prosecutor were pro 2nd amendment.

Yep, the state boy tried to nix mine too but was overuled and even chastised by the other two.

Top Bottom