• ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I am considering getting 2 Kel-Tec products soon -
    Sub 2000 for Baretta (will modify my Ruger magazines to fit)
    P11 for concealed

I've used the search function and read much, but some more recent opinions and those from new people would be helpful. I already have a PC9 and am considering a Kahr CM9 also.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I can only speak concerning the P11. It's inexpensive, shoots well, reliable, but it isn't the prettiest belle at the ball. I did take some time to clean the flashing off of the frame when I got mine. I could carry it IWB pretty easily. YMMV

deanr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Kendallville, Indiana
    I have a P3AT. It is a nice little weapon. The one thing I noticed is that the P3AT machining seem a little on the rough side. I did have to send the pistol back to Kel-Tec as the trigger bar broke on it. Kel-Tech customer service is great. They paid for shipping both ways, fixed the pistol, and polished the feed ramp.

I have not checked out any of Kel-Tec's other items, so I can not comment on what you are thinking of getting. But if Kel-Tec's other products are like the P3AT I have you should be happy.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I started out with a P3AT and then got the PLR16 (.223 pistol) then got the RFB and about 9 months ago I picked up the PMR30. I sent the PMR30 back in for an update on the slide and a magazine update. Their customer service is top notch and they seem to care about their customers.

As long as you're not getting a weapon that has just been released for production and shipping, you should be fine. I bought one of the first PMR30s knowing there might be some issues, but Kel-Tec is standing behind their products.

redbeard28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    the new kel-tec shotgun looks pretty sweet with its two under barrels 14+1 capacity short design pump shotgun they said it would retail for like 800

Hookfish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a P11 that I carry IWB. It is easy conceal, shoots well, and is expensive. Plus, they have a great warranty. I am really happy I purchased mine.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    If you gave me a KelTec, any KelTec I would sell it before putting one round thru it.

Terrible example of an American made product. Do we sell a lot of them? Heck yes we do.

Would I own one personally? Not me.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I have a sub-2000 that takes glock 22 mags. Had a problem with it, sent it back and they fixed it. Their customer service is hit and miss. If you email, it's generally a miss, if you call or just stop in, it's usually pretty good.

Their guns are inexpensive but work well for what they are.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I can only speak from my experiences. I had two P40s and one P11. All three were terrible. All three went back to Kel-Tec twice for re-everythings and never functioned correctly even with good factory ammunition. The folks at Kel-Tec were real nice, but all three of the guns I had were awful.

After the last re-everything trips to the factory, I dumped them for Glocks and have no regrets at all. But, again, those were my experiences.

Some people say they are well-pleased with Kel-Tec guns and have never had any problems. That's great, and I'm happy for them, but I'll not have another.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My wife bought a P11 and I put 300 trouble free rounds through it. Zero failures of any kind with a variety of ammo. She had too hard of a time with the slide, so we sold it. It was a great carry piece, and I would have kept it, but I put the money toward a SP101.

I also have the SU-16A which if you have good magazines (I use Brownell's and love them) it runs flawlessly. I had a "gun show" magazine that was nothing but trouble. I love it for it's light weight and portability, and it's half the price of an AR, which is OK with me, I'm not an AR fan.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Can't help with the Kel Tec Sub Gun, but have about 850 rounds thru my P-11 and it still runs like a champ. I ordered, and replaced, the polymer guide rod with a steel one from Kel Tec. Other than that it is great. By the way, the new guide rod and an extra set of springs was only around 16 dollars. Couldn't beat that with a stick.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've had 3 kel tec products. PF9 (traded away) and sub2000 and SU16 (still have).

I'll probably get another PF9.

In my opinion, they're a good value for the price.

They're not family heirloom quality, of course. But anymore nowadays, even some all-steel pistols are not either.

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    I have the Sub2K 9mm with Glock mags and a couple of P3ATs. One of the P3ATs had to go back for fluff and buff. The Sub2K has had no issues at all and is fairly faily accurate, but don't put your cheek against the buttstock unless you add some padding.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I had a P11 and sold it to buy a P3AT
    So, you can see the company is not the problem for me.
    My P11 was basically flawless.
    No jams, no failures.
    I just HATED that trigger.
    It is looooong and heavy.
    My P3AT has been similarly flawless and the trigger is much better than the P11.
    The PF9 does NOT compare with the P11 because it has more of a P3AT style trigger.
    I may even buy a PF9 someday if I can find a chrome one at a decent price.
    The P11 is also about as thick as a baby Glock, O I would definitely recommend the baby Glock over the P11 and the PF9 over the baby Glock (for concealability)

casselmb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    If you gave me a KelTec, any KelTec I would sell it before putting one round thru it.

Terrible example of an American made product. Do we sell a lot of them? Heck yes we do.

Would I own one personally? Not me.

^ This cracked me up. :):

I'd have to agree.

I've had a chance to shoot a P3AT a few times. It's not pretty (or fun). But they seem fairly reliable, and I guess they have their place, if you really feel like you need a mousegun.

Top Bottom