You're carrying and you get in your car... now what?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    When you're carrying and you get in your car, what happens to your sidearm? Does it stay holstered? Do you deholster it? Glove box? Under your seat? Door compartment? Is it out in the open? Do you leave it loaded? Would love to hear your comments.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    my car has a spot where the tape player goes, it is perfect for my handgun in a pocket holster. get into car, put gun + holster in slot, go about my business. put in pocket, climb out.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Mine stays holstered on my right hip, but I move the seatbelt so it's not across it. I also free up my cover jacket/vest/shirt so it's still concealed, but accessible.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Somebody text me when Scutter drives off...
    I need a few things to complete my private arsenal.

For the record, I have never done that. I see that in the paper from time to time though. Not sure how you can be that careless.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Just strap the seat belt to the side of it and it stays the same as when I got in the car. Wide open for easy access and fresh air!

Don't think it would be to easy of access if the weapon was covered in any way with a car-jack in progress! just my 2/100 of a dollar!

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I keep a plain old uncle mikes holster in between my drivers seat, and center console. When I get in my truck I remove my weapon from my holster, and stick it in the Uncle Mikes. Works well enough for me, and prevents me from having to reach very far if needed.

picture.php

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I keep a plain old uncle mikes holster in between my drivers seat, and center console. When I get in my truck I remove my weapon from my holster, and stick it in the Uncle Mikes. Works well enough for me, and prevents me from having to reach very far if needed.

picture.php

:+1:This is what I do.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    i move mine so i can cross draw...the buckle is now out of the way since im right handed and if i have to pull it quick there is no chance of accidentally having it go off into my leg since it will already be facing the door. I learned this from our stroll downtown...dont know from who i didnt ask his name :ugh:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    *whistles*

Tailgate? No, I don't think there has ever, ever been an incident like that.

(It wasn't a tailgate. I left it, Ruger 22/45, on the trailer hitch platform and drove from my house to a coffee shop downtown. No dispute, I did it, it was moronic, I hope someone learns from me.

Just so everyone knows, I got out, saw it, had a mini-stroke and scooped it up and put it in the range bag).

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    *whistles*

Tailgate? No, I don't think there has ever, ever been an incident like that.

(It wasn't a tailgate. I left it, Ruger 22/45, on the trailer hitch platform and drove from my house to a coffee shop downtown. No dispute, I did it, it was moronic, I hope someone learns from me.

Just so everyone knows, I got out, saw it, had a mini-stroke and scooped it up and put it in the range bag).

That's it!!! :D I knew my memory hadn't completely failed me yet!

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I maintain the same carry mode in the vehicle. Think about it, how long does it take to unbuckle the seat belt?

Switching sides so to speak as in a crossdraw situation may potentially pose a gun grab hazard if you're operating with an open driver's window.

I prefer to keep it simple, carry the same way all of the time. That reinforces muscle memory, not to mention brain memory. Besides, I am accustomed to carrying on my right side.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    It stays in the holster from the time I put my pants on to the time I take them off, that means in the house car everywhere, the nice part is I know where it is if I need it.

Top Bottom