• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I’ve been asked to slow down at Greenwood. Just a double tap here and there. I thought any rapid fire was against the rules and am surprised full auto was an option there.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I've shot Parabellum a lot, and I like them. Though most of the time I go out to Proteq and shoot. Parabellum for me is for winter shooting.

Thats mostly true for me as well (in fact I’m planning on going to ProTEQ tomorrow).

However, it’s nice to have something closer when I can’t commit to a full afternoon of shooting or just need to test something.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Have never been there. It's a lot closer than the DNR ranges to me, that might come in handy on occasion. But unless time and weather conditions make it necessary, probably won't be going there very often if at all.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thats mostly true for me as well (in fact I’m planning on going to ProTEQ tomorrow).

However, it’s nice to have something closer when I can’t commit to a full afternoon of shooting or just need to test something.

MCF&G is just to close for me in decent weather. Past that I can roll to Avon and shoot there.
    Thing is I always double tap. Train like you intend to shoot. Shoot like you intend to......well, shoot.
    RO's should regulate the dumb butt's and allow those who exhibit some skills to run their guns. If you can shoot then be allowed. If you can not then get some trigger time and then you can run with the rest of the crowd.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    MCF&G is just to close for me in decent weather. Past that I can roll to Avon and shoot there.
    Thing is I always double tap. Train like you intend to shoot. Shoot like you intend to......well, shoot.
    RO's should regulate the dumb butt's and allow those who exhibit some skills to run their guns. If you can shoot then be allowed. If you can not then get some trigger time and then you can run with the rest of the crowd.

I shoot double taps and Mozambique drills every other week or so and have never had anyone say anything to me. I have always assumed the rapid fire rule is for people running a mag or more that way where it is obviously not being controlled. Of course, I go to PB often enough that I know more of the RO's pretty well. I do agree though, that it's amazing that some people manage to make it out of the range alive with all the stupid they manage to do. I'm frankly amazed we have as many ranges that we do that stay open and that there aren't even more restrictive rules due to all the morons... :rolleyes:

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010

Only in a perfect world and unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world so rules are made for the lowest common denominator. It is fair, maybe, maybe not, but that's the way it is, too many dumb people and not enough people to watch them. As the saying goes, their house their rules.

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    I’ve been asked to slow down at Greenwood. Just a double tap here and there. I thought any rapid fire was against the rules and am surprised full auto was an option there.

I shoot at the Carmel range. I too thought that it was odd that full auto was permitted but not even a controlled double tap.

Either way, as an MG owner, I'm unhappy with the policy switch, though I totally get it.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I was at Parabellum last year and was shocked how shot up it was. Indoor public ranges can be scary. I never go to one on the weekends.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm stunned every time I work at the lack of knowledge at least 90% of the people in the range have of basics of firearms safety and pistol shooting.

The vast majority of gun owners are just that, owners. Collectors and hobbyists, with little to no interest in being good at shooting. As long as it makes smoke and noise and the occasional hole appears somewhere they can see, that's good enough for them.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    And at that point you're spittin distance of AllenM's shop. How convenient ;)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I was at Parabellum last year and was shocked how shot up it was. Indoor public ranges can be scary. I never go to one on the weekends.

You mean those bullet holes that are about 25 yards closer than they should be? When I'm there with family I always point them out, and then point to where they should be.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The vast majority of gun owners are just that, owners. Collectors and hobbyists, with little to no interest in being good at shooting. As long as it makes smoke and noise and the occasional hole appears somewhere they can see, that's good enough for them.

I think that is an excellent point. And, I think in large part those are the folks who are shooting the roofs/walls/ baffling etc. I don't get to get out and shoot every week but I do go run some rounds through my edc at least monthly.
    My mom as an example enjoys an occasional trip to the range to burn up some .22lr (every year or so). Last time we went she tried to shoot dads bearcat...wow I was sooo glad its single action. I watched as 2 consecutive rnds fired caused dust from the baffling to fly. I walked up had her put the gun down and we went over how to properly aim again and then she was ok.
    I had some concern this would happen so I tried to be johnny on the spot. I knew if the A-hole RO walked over to address it we would have been leaving. That was at Atterbury. Whoever the RO was that day was either having a bad day or needed a vacation as he was a prick to many people that day. Chewed some womans tail during a cease fire for not having a chamber flag. She didn't even know what a chamber flag was. Come to think of it thats the last time I was there

I think ROs have a tougher job than it looks. On one hand they have to keep things safe and watch out for stupid mistakes and poor gun handling. Yet, at the same time they need to balance in helping educate new/ occasional shooters while trying not to be discouraging or rude (to a point).

As for the OPs info...sucks but most public ranges have issue with rapid fire or double tab drills etc. Just like they don't allow drawing from a holster..heck many don't allow a holstered gun on the firing line.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    PB has never said anything to me about double taps. I don't do them much. Maybe once every 3rd range trip.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Is Point Blank run by, Moms who need some Action?

They lost me at, "show us your tax papers". They might have changed the policy, but, obviously the mindset is still there. Screw them!

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Public range in affluent-ish well traveled areas in order to drum up enough business to stay afloat. Yea, there's a lot of stupid out there and they usually go to the bright, public ranges that are easily accessible. Been there once, yes it's just as crowded and scary.

Yea, I wouldn't want to RO a public range. I'm pretty patient but I'd be done telling people to follow the same basic safety rules and teaching them how to aim at a target 5 yards off in about 3 days.

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    This.

I don't blame the range for trying to restrict damage to their range. And some of the stuff you see at a public range...
    The RSOs get reprimanded for restricting or ejecting unsafe customers, even after those customers repeatedly shoot the baffles and walls. It's not about maintenance costs, it's a PR move. Tom Willingham is a businessman and this is right in line with his MO.

Top Bottom