• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Not having a place to shoot FA is getting tiresome. I'll need to buy/find some private land I guess.

I think if the PB RO sees you put rounds into the same hole at 7 yards they leave you alone. I've never had any trouble there practicing controlled pair / double taps @ PB Carmel.

PB has the nicest indoor range I've been to aside from Top Gun Terre Haute. The smoke filters, lighting, noise suppression of the other ranges in central iN are just not as good. The fact that PB Carmel is across the parking lot from my office, making it ultra convenient, is beside the point.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    For the most part, I've had no problems with the Merriville PB. My buddies shoot fairly fast but I think once the RO sees that they are obviously trained, they walked away and didn't bother them.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    So I tried to contact them on Facebook to see how they would respond:

Beowulf: So, I’ve heard on INGO that Point Blank corporate has now issue a blanket ban on the shooting of machine guns at all locations. Is that correct?

Shoot Point Blank – Indy North: Hi Beowulf - Our policy prohibits rapid fire. You can learn more about our range rules here: https://shootpointblank.com/range/range-rules/

Beowulf: That doesn’t answer my question. As late as last month, you were allow registered machine guns on the range. I’ve personally shot there dozens of times with my machine guns since you opened. So what I’m asking is if the policy has recently changed to explicitly disallow machine guns?

Beowulf: I’m trying to figure out if I need to take my business elsewhere. I don’t want to waste my time loading up for a range trip and driving over to Carmel only to be turned away

Shoot Point Blank – Indy North: <no response, but message showed as seen>

That was yesterday and it's been about 24 hours since that last message was sent. I'm not sure what the big deal is, it's a pretty simple question with a "yes" or "no" answer. I guess I just have to assume the answer is "No" full auto is not allowed and "No" they don't want my business anymore (which is their prerogative).

Oh well. In the meantime, I have ProTEQ which seems to be open to just about anything including small artillery, as long as you are safe (though, before touching off anything than .50 BMG, you might just run it by Don and ask where exactly he wants you to be doing so).

When the weather gets nasty, I'll have to see what my options are locally again (probably Parabellum unless they've changed their policies since I was last there).

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'll walk over tomorrow and talk to the store GM. We had a corporate "team building" event there not long ago and we shot FA.

I've had other Indy area ranges tell me "no" but if I wanted to come after hours and let them shot too that it would be fine. :):

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    The range is sick and tired of the ceiling being shot?
    Being one responsible for taking care of a range - yes. that is one reason. Some people shoot the ceiling and walls with just revolvers and semis... secondarily - depending on the backstop construction, full auto + billyjoejimbob ammo dump; does an inordinate amount of damage compared to normal target shooting. Sure, it's fun but at an indoor range people don't understand the wear involved and it costs a lot to repair.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    So employees at the Carmel store did not know the reason. They only got a policy change email from corp ~2 days ago. They did give me the corp ph# and I called to leave a vm asking why. If anyone else would like to pile on and ask please be my guest. Corp PB ph# = 513-766-0830.

[edit] Ooh... a quickly returned phone call from the Point Blank Mgr of Biz Analytics Greg! It's pretty much what we've been speculating. They are growing quickly and need to cater to the novice shooter. Carmel hasn't had any damage by full auto shooters (pretty much only me & Beowulf) but their other ranges have had; inability to stay on target, damage to the lights & the target trolleys. They try to keep spare parts in stock but there are apparently only a couple big companies making the replacement parts & sometimes they can't get spare parts quickly. This means a down lane & no revenue. They also had a full auto shooter on one end of a range and a novice at the other. The novice thought it was ok to do rapid fire and as the RO approached, somehow the novice shot his hand.

Last edited:

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    For the most part, I've had no problems with the Merriville PB. My buddies shoot fairly fast but I think once the RO sees that they are obviously trained, they walked away and didn't bother them.

ive shot at point blank a few times in the past month, havent been "reprimanded" in merrillville for double tapping or a fast 1st shot from a low ready position. (sighting in and function firing a new 22 rifle) but i have seen target holders bouncing around in other lanes while i was there. it's actually kinda scary to see when someone cant hit a target hanging there at 7 yards....

:cheers:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    So employees at the Carmel store did not know the reason. They only got a policy change email from corp ~2 days ago. They did give me the corp ph# and I called to leave a vm asking why. If anyone else would like to pile on and ask please be my guest. Corp PB ph# = 513-766-0830.

[edit] Ooh... a quickly returned phone call from the Point Blank Mgr of Biz Analytics Greg! It's pretty much what we've been speculating. They are growing quickly and need to cater to the novice shooter. Carmel hasn't had any damage by full auto shooters (pretty much only me & Beowulf) but their other ranges have had; inability to stay on target, damage to the lights & the target trolleys. They try to keep spare parts in stock but there are apparently only a couple big companies making the replacement parts & sometimes they can't get spare parts quickly. This means a down lane & no revenue. They also had a full auto shooter on one end of a range and a novice at the other. The novice thought it was ok to do rapid fire and as the RO approached, somehow the novice shot his hand.

I told you all that and I wasn't speculating. :draw:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    The vast majority of gun owners are just that, owners. Collectors and hobbyists, with little to no interest in being good at shooting. As long as it makes smoke and noise and the occasional hole appears somewhere they can see, that's good enough for them.
    You are spot on BBIs but for the life of me I don't understand that mentality.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana

NRA Life Member / Basic Pistol instructor / RSO

"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard"
    Unnamed Navy Seal
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

Aron Bright
    I unfortunately see it a lot with family and friends too. Some people I know also only shoot maybe twice a year. Shooting is a perishable skill. I try to go every single week.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

It falls in the same boat as driving. Majority of drivers are just car owners with very little interest in being good at it. People want to have the toys, but most are indifferent to using them proficienctly.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    It falls in the same boat as driving. Majority of drivers are just car owners with very little interest in being good at it. People want to have the toys, but most are indifferent to using them proficienctly.

Disagree. Most people drive every single day at some point. I wish most people would shoot every single day, the world would be a better place. People are just idiots and don’t pay attention when they drive, too busy on the phone or doing their makeup or reading the newspaper (seriously, I’ve seen it on 465). And like BBI said, most gun owners hardly shoot, hell for that matter most don’t even carry. Most of my friends own guns but never leave the house with it... I have 1 friend I shoot with about every month at some point, the rest I’m not sure if they’ve went to the range other than when they first bought it. Sad

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Disagree. Most people drive every single day at some point. I wish most people would shoot every single day, the world would be a better place. People are just idiots and don’t pay attention when they drive, too busy on the phone or doing their makeup or reading the newspaper (seriously, I’ve seen it on 465). And like BBI said, most gun owners hardly shoot, hell for that matter most don’t even carry. Most of my friends own guns but never leave the house with it... I have 1 friend I shoot with about every month at some point, the rest I’m not sure if they’ve went to the range other than when they first bought it. Sad

Most people may operate a vehicle on a daily basis, but few of them actually drive one. The fact they are too busy doing other things shows that.

How many people still slow for a yellow compared to rushing through it? How many times have you watched cars run a red light, particularly getting those last three cars through a turn light? How many slow well below the marked speed to make a corner? How many can’t maintain a constant speed? There aren’t high level driving skills, these are basics. If they do these, they can’t drive.

Top Bottom