• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BehindBlueI's again.

You must not use logic.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Changing their pay structure is attacking freedom? I *might* see the argument if they were banning the content. Not paying you [STRIKE]as much[/STRIKE] at ALL if you are talking about the wrong topics? That's a pretty low bar for an attack on freedom.

FIFY

They appear to be saying "post all you want. If you want to monetize your particular topic with ads for a few shekels to even help cover your costs, tough cookies. We wont allow you to make any money on the subject."

They just forced a bunch of posters/topics into the pure hobby category now.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    FIFY

They appear to be saying "post all you want. If you want to monetize your particular topic with ads for a few shekels to even help cover your costs, tough cookies. We wont allow you to make any money on the subject."

They just forced a bunch of posters/topics into the pure hobby category now.

I'm resisting a "free speech" joke, but seriously if someone won't pay you to express your views on their platform that's now an assault on freedom? Remember that's the context of my reply.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    A lot of these guys are making money from channel sponsors. Boycotting youtube will only hurt these creators more. If all of a sudden a bunch of people stop watching their favorite channels on youtube because of the ad policies, these sponsors are going to lose incentive to sponsor at all. If a creator that you sponsor starts getting 100,000 views per video compared to 1,000,000, you're going to rethink your business arrangement. Yeah, full30 is a thing, but nothing compared to youtube. I don't agree with a lot of what's going on, but I think that boycotting youtube will hurt the creators more than it will help them. It's a tricky situation for sure.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm resisting a "free speech" joke, but seriously if someone won't pay you to express your views on their platform that's now an assault on freedom? Remember that's the context of my reply.

And the bear ****s in the woods.
    Look, we get it already: YouTube/Google is a private company, and as such, they are under no obligation to pay anyone for anything he posts or even allow it to be posted.
    Now, with that said, let us not operate under the assumption that YouTube is exactly evenhanded in their selective treatment that penalizes gun channels, especially when they continue to monetize and even artificially promote the likes of such cancer as Buzzfeed and MTV News, because that's mere pretense.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    And the bear ****s in the woods.
    Look, we get it already: YouTube/Google is a private company, and as such, they are under no obligation to pay anyone for anything he posts or even allow it to be posted.
    Now, with that said, let us not operate under the assumption that YouTube is exactly evenhanded in their selective treatment that penalizes gun channels, especially when they continue to monetize and even artificially promote the likes of such cancer as Buzzfeed and MTV News, because that's mere pretense.

People see whatever boogie men they want. Maybe there's some agenda, maybe it's financial. You're the one who brought "fair" into it, and the only thing I've taken issue with is that it's an assault on freedom.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    People see whatever boogie men they want. Maybe there's some agenda, maybe it's financial. You're the one who brought "fair" into it, and the only thing I've taken issue with is that it's an assault on freedom.

The only thing I take issue with is being unnecessarily pedantic.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

LOL.

No, they arent paying you to express your views. They were allowing you to add commercials/ads to your videos and collect a cut of the ad revenue. Now they have decided that only certain topics are allowed to go beyond a hobby and are not allowing you to add commercials. (I dont like you so I will no longer give you the option to share my cut with you) Note the post from Julie Golob upthread. She even tried to give them her cash money to put her ads on other gun related videos. They refused her money as if she was advocating the overthrow of .gov, promoting NAMBLA, or even promoting anti-youtube messages.

Does it suck? yes
    Is it a Freedom of Speech issue?(note the formal use of caps) Hardly.
    Is it unfair and biased? are you really surprised? Based on timing it sounds more like sour grapes; Like the geek in a management position that finds himself above the jock that teased him in high school who is scorned and realizes after losing in the past (2016 election) that he will suddenly start to wield what little power and influence he has over the few he controls and make life hell for him(them/us).

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I thought he already bailed when they "accidentally" banned him twice in as many days for no real reason?

With as many subscribers and views his channel generates, Id say its highly unlikely that he'd bail. Ad revenue alone would be worth it for those guys that generate that type of viewership... I know what ad money I generate on my piddly channel with the views I get, I could only imagine the kind of cash guys like Hickok45, IV8888, and Demo Ranch get from their channels. I just feel bad for the ones that use this as a means for making a living, like those mentioned. With that said its Googles sand box and we're just playing in it....

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    In an era where you cannot possibly offend any person, place or thing without the liberal stampede coming to shut you down, I am surprised that this is being allowed (actually, I am *not* surprised).

Sure, the *can* do what they want with their sandbox, but the question in my mind, is *should* they?

Now if Chik-Fil-A or Hobby Lobby does not want to pay for birth control or wants to close on Sundays for religious reasons, there is a full-scale boycott of those establishments and the world goes nuts.

It is funny to think about which actions incite responses like this. It seems like we are always controlled by the liberal media's whims.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So start going to the lefty video's and flag them.

It's all a big lefty conspiracy. Only guns and conservatives are being targeted.

YouTube's Restricted Mode Is Hiding Some LGBT Content [Update]

Unless you're a liberal, and YouTube is restricting channels focusing on LGBT issues.

Where's LeadEye with his "always follow the money"?

Youtube hasn't always paid for content. It might be interesting for some of you to take a look at the history of how users started to make money, how the program expanded, etc. I *think* it was when Google bought it that some uploaders started to get paid.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It's all a big lefty conspiracy. Only guns and conservatives are being targeted.

Unless you're a liberal, and YouTube is restricting channels focusing on LGBT issues.

Youtube hasn't always paid for content. It might be interesting for some of you to take a look at the history of how users started to make money, how the program expanded, etc. I *think* it was when Google bought it that some uploaders started to get paid.

Bzzt!
    The only LGBT videos being moved to restricted mode are the sexually explicit ones unsuitable for a young audience, all wailing about "discrimination" notwithstanding.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central

Changing their pay structure is attacking freedom? I *might* see the argument if they were banning the content. Not paying you as much? That's a pretty low bar for an attack on freedom.

Your perspective is a valid one...although, it isn`t mine. Even as you seemingly oversimplify the issue, if I`ve understood it correctly. I will always deem any restriction, or constriction of guns and gun related issues/material/information/access, as an attack on freedom. Especially in today`s world, where the attacks can be so subtle, but still, oh so insidious. Guns are not evil, but unfortunately, some who possess guns also possess an evil heart, and are capable of much evil and destruction. For any segment of society to, subtly, or otherwise, suggest guns are an issue is completely unacceptable.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Your perspective is a valid one...although, it isn`t mine. Even as you seemingly oversimplify the issue, if I`ve understood it correctly. I will always deem any restriction, or constriction of guns and gun related issues/material/information/access, as an attack on freedom. Especially in today`s world, where the attacks can be so subtle, but still, oh so insidious. Guns are not evil, but unfortunately, some who possess guns also possess an evil heart, and are capable of much evil and destruction. For any segment of society to, subtly, or otherwise, suggest guns are an issue is completely unacceptable.

Ok, what's the restriction?

Someone has to pay you to express your views?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Perhaps people who value freedom should re-think their over reliance social media. When has business ever failed to exploit monopolistic market power

[STRIKE]Don't Be Evil [/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Do the Right Thing[/STRIKE]

We Own You

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Not LeadEye, but that was post #32.

Top Bottom