• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Which manufacture of the 1911 do you prefer and why do you feel that way? What experiances have you had with that particular manufacture for you to be loyal to them?

This thread is purely to see which manufactures are liked more then others and why. And for fun.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I'll start it, I would buy a Springfield 1911 over any other manufacture simply because I have had two of them, a loaded full size, and a loaded stainless champion. I have never had any issues from either, and I think you get the best gun for the money with Springfield.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Kimber, Colt, Springfield, Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Wilson, & Brown

I've owned 3 Kimbers and have had zero problems with any of them. The rest all have models I would love to own!!!!!

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I think you should make this into two categories....stock and custom

Stock- Colt, Springfield, Sig, Smith, Ruger

Custom-Wilson, Brown, Baer, Nighthawk

These opinions and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at MacDonalds:dunno:

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I've owned Kimber, Colt, Springfield, and Para. I guess I have been lucky because I never had any real issues with any of them. The Para was a little ammo picky. Wouldn't hesitate to buy any of them again. Would like to step to Ed Brown, Wilson, Baer, or Nighthawk but haven't made it there yet.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Some are not telling why they like what they like. Thats the whole reason for the thread. Come on guys and gals.

And shurely you who list more then one that you like have a single favorite for some specific reason. I don't want a list of all the ones that you like, I want to know which one is your absolute go to gun (1911) and why.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I like my metro arms american classic II. It's half the price of a lot of the models (but that price keeps going up).

I got the hard chrome model and it's awesome! Only thing I'm going to change is the sights to night sights.

This gun has all the bells and whistles. Would prefer to have a standard slide stop instead of the extended.

Tossed the ACT mag and got 47d's. 100% reliable with all ammo I've tried.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Some are not telling why they like what they like. Thats the whole reason for the thread. Come on guys and gals.

And shurely you who list more then one that you like have a single favorite for some specific reason. I don't want a list of all the ones that you like, I want to know which one is your absolute go to gun (1911) and why.

I prefer the fit and finish of my Kimbers over my Colts, Springers, and Paras. I shoot them the most. Of my Kimbers, if I had to choose one, it would be my Classic with a Clackamas roll mark. I like the looks of my Eclipse models and Tacticals, but there is just something about a basic black gun, with black on black sights. All are accurate and reliable, so I guess it comes down to favorite asthetics.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    My go to gun would be my custom colt commander that I have carried for the majority of the time. Reason = it goes bang every time no matter what.

IMAG0015-1.jpg

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've only got one 1911--a Kimber crimson carry. When i picked it, it was btween it and a Colt. Why? People i trust, that had them, helped me narrow down my choices based on their experiences (some if those people are here, on INGO BTW). I finally picked the Kimber because i liked it slightly better. I liked the feel, fit, finish, and it just looked cool and I havent been sorry.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Ok, I like Wilson. I have two of them; one a Wilson CQB with a few extra options and one is a older Wilson "full house" gun (similar to what their CQB Elite is now) that was built on a stainless Colt 1991A1 frame and slide. What I like about them is the superb fit of the components, the quality of the standard parts on the CQB and the parts that were used in the customizing of the Colt, the accuracy of the pistols themselves, and the incredibly good customer service, should you need it. This last one requires some explanation, because I think ideally one would want to never have to experience customer service (and I've even seen some people post that customer service doesn't matter if you don't need it, and if you do that means you chose the wrong manufacturer), but in my case I bought both of my Wilson's second-hand and when the Colt sent half a magazine downrange due to a worn sear (or someone else's attempt to lighten the trigger pull) I called Wilson who immediately had me send it in to be looked at. Within 48hrs my pistol had a brand new sear, a trigger pull tuned to 3 1/2 lb pull and would've been on it's way back to me if I didn't take advantage of the opportunity to have some additional custom work done on it. No charge whatsoever for the new sear and trigger job, and they picked up the shipping as well. Now, I hope I don't have to use Wilson's exemplary customer service again, but I know what I can expect if I do, and I know that any Wilson I acquire will be covered by the same service policy, whether I buy it new or used.

Last edited:

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I really enjoy reading the "I love this gun, and this is why" from all the different types of people on here. Good post's guys, keep them comming.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have a Kimber, Colt, and American Classic.
    Love all 3. The Colt and Kimber would be my 2 top choices out of the 3 only because they have rails...

Top Bottom