• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Bic and Carmex in my pocket. Complete fire kit in my EDB.

Carmex is great for what it is made for but has many other first aid uses and is a fabulous excellerant.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Cotton ball or dryer lint and carmex cath a spark and produce a sustained flame.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Didn't you graduate with that guy's grandfather?

Heh heh heh

That is sweet!

For you guys who carry small, refillable butane torches/lighters: what are some make and models that actually work and are durable? I have not had good luck with propane lighters/torches. Keeping Mr. Zippo fed can be tedious, but they're incredibly reliable.

For the money Vertigo by Lotus is a good line of lighters. Xikar is awesome, but a bit pricier. My Axia was $60. If you buy a decent torch, be sure to use good butane. The cheap Ronson or Clipper fuel has a lot of impurities in it and will clog your jets. Also, make sure to properly purge it before every fill up so it has fuel and not air in it. Finally, the more jets it has the faster it will run through your fuel, but the more heat it puts out. There are a lot of options out there, so you're in for some research to figure out what will best suit your needs.

There are some good videos on maintaining a quality torch on YouTube. If you're looking that direction I highly recommend watching them.

Edited... And on Xikar, their warranty and customer service ranks up there with Benchmade. Best there is.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Bic and Carmex in my pocket. Complete fire kit in my EDB.

Carmex is great for what it is made for but has many other first aid uses and is a fabulous excellerant.

I have Carmex at hand. I had no idea it was an excellerant. It does work in 1st aid.

Cotton ball or dryer lint and carmex cath a spark and produce a sustained flame.

Yes on the lint/cotton balls. They are both stocked in the stores. Vasoline etc.
    The Carmex thing is new.

Carmex (in the jar or squeeze tube) is mostly petroleum jelly. It works as an accelerant/extender just as well as pure petrol jelly.

Antibiotic ointment is also mostly petrol jelly. You can use it for it's intended purpose, or any way that you would use Vaseline including chapped lips and fire starting and starting fire on chapped lips.

Waxy lip balms are a little less versatile, but also very useful.

For the money Vertigo by Lotus is a good line of lighters. Xikar is awesome, but a bit pricier. My Axia was $60. If you buy a decent torch, be sure to use good butane. The cheap Ronson or Clipper fuel has a lot of impurities in it and will clog your jets. Also, make sure to properly purge it before every fill up so it has fuel and not air in it. Finally, the more jets it has the faster it will run through your fuel, but the more heat it puts out. There are a lot of options out there, so you're in for some research to figure out what will best suit your needs.

There are some good videos on maintaining a quality torch on YouTube. If you're looking that direction I highly recommend watching them.

Okay, the comment about good quality butane is helpful. I've only used Ronson and never considered there might be issues with purity. That could explain some of the issues I have experienced. Thank you!

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    For you guys who carry small, refillable butane torches/lighters: what are some make and models that actually work and are durable? I have not had good luck with propane lighters/torches. Keeping Mr. Zippo fed can be tedious, but they're incredibly reliable.

Rhino - I quit smoking 15 years ago, but still caryy my old zippo. Keep carrying yours, but switch the fuel source. No need to refill with zippo fluid once a week. Switch to butane and it will last a year (at the rate I use mine anyway.) Here's a link:

Thunderbird Yellow Flame Insert Lighters Direct - Worldwide Shipping - Authorized Dealer

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I like the dJeep lighters and have several scattered throughout bags and BOBs. Usually wrap the lighter with a length of electrical tape because it is a convenient place to store some.

Is that a Tactical Comb with your EDC? I assume they issue those to spooky Operators to keep their awesome beards in Low Drag mode.

Not a smoker but always carry a BIC Lighter. I don't use it daily but at least 2 times a week. I also carry a pack of them in my BOB along with Flint and Steele.

5A1E3420-77BD-426D-A6FD-D055C7D96C0C_zpscmxzneps.jpg

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I like the dJeep lighters and have several scattered throughout bags and BOBs. Usually wrap the lighter with a length of electrical tape because it is a convenient place to store some.

Is that a Tactical Comb with your EDC? I assume they issue those to spooky Operators to keep their awesome beards in Low Drag mode.
    Yes it is :) it makes great pry bar, file, striker for flint and a comb. It's not easy maintaining a Spook Operators beard :D

C559EC7A-177C-45EF-BA83-0956886F2546_zps0tcqmw0v.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino - I quit smoking 15 years ago, but still caryy my old zippo. Keep carrying yours, but switch the fuel source. No need to refill with zippo fluid once a week. Switch to butane and it will last a year (at the rate I use mine anyway.) Here's a link:

Thunderbird Yellow Flame Insert Lighters Direct - Worldwide Shipping - Authorized Dealer

Thanks! I'll take a look!

I use duct tape, usually Gorilla tape the same way.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Supposed are cool, but they don't seem to want to light if you go more than a few days without lighting or fueling it. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong. If it rides around in my pocket for a week it usually won't work.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Supposed are cool, but they don't seem to want to light if you go more than a few days without lighting or fueling it. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong. If it rides around in my pocket for a week it usually won't work.

Smart phone auto-correct alert!

Yeah, your experience with a Zippo is standard. If I carry it with the intent of using it, I'll refill every few days.

I know some guys put a ranger band or a piece of inner tube around them to slow the rate of evaporation. I tried the same with electrical tape, but the lighter fluid (naptha) dissolves the adhesive and makes a sticky mess (and it doesn't work). I have yet to try to the inner tube/ranger band trick.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

You're doing it right. Zippos aren't airtight, and the fluid evaporates out. If I fill mine today and put them down and don't use them, they will be dry in about a week.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Not a smoker and always carry a BIC. I've also been asked on numerous occasions, why? The same reason I always carry a knife and a gun, just in case.

Top Bottom