• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Mmkay. It's been a while but I don't recall noticing much of a difference in taste. Then again again I generally don't smoke "good" cigars.

As long as they burn evenly, can hold a decent ash, and put out decent smoke, they're generally good cigars. Everything else, especially taste, is subjective. I used to light mine with a Zippo too, but one day I noticed a little bit of a lighter fluid taste coming through early on, and haven't since. Butane just burns much more cleanly.

Wooden matches work, as do cedar spills if you're into that. I just prefer my torches.

Edited: unless we're talking about cigars filled with floor sweeping, like some of the ultra cheap and fake Cuban cigars sometimes are. Those suck and shouldn't ever be smoked.

Last edited:

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    As long as they burn evenly, can hold a decent ash, and put out decent smoke, they're generally good cigars. Everything else, especially taste, is subjective. I used to light mine with a Zippo too, but one day I noticed a little bit of a lighter fluid taste coming through early on, and haven't since. Butane just burns much more cleanly.

Wooden matches work, as do cedar spills if you're into that. I just prefer my torches.

Edited: unless we're talking about cigars filled with floor sweeping, like some of the ultra cheap and fake Cuban cigars sometimes are. Those suck and shouldn't ever be smoked.

Most of the time, i use a torch lighter. I had an amazing Bugatti 3 torch lighter, but it rolled across the dash of my jeep and fell out through where the door should have been. It was dark, i just heard the thud and realized what it was the next day. Now i can't find them anywhere.

but to answer the question at hand.

I almost always have a lighter or two in my jeep. I smoke a pipe and obviously cigars so i always have a means of fire handy.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Not a smoker, carry a couple Bics in my GHB. Actually have a military pistol belt: 2 canteens, 2 M16 Ammo Pouches, Kabar knife, and a compass pouch. Easier to throw over a shoulder, or belt upThe Bics are in a NBC plastic box. Also a Fero rod, soaked cotton w/ petro jelly, button compass, strike anywhere matches, whistle. (1 M16 pouch will work) Never had a leak from the Bics. Always work fine. other pouch holds a cheap poncho, and space blanket, basic FAK. The above NBC box has an O ring seal to stay dry. Some Bics I have seen rusted and the wheel falls apart from humidity. Mine are dry, like showroom new, and like above work everytime. With a little care yours will do fine.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Lost my first Zippo near 20 years ago.Wife bought me a new one and I carry it almost always.I save the Flint's from the Bics because they are better flints than the Ronson or the Zippos.I still got a Ronson with the fishing fly inside it in the dresser somewhere

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I use a rechargeable plasma. I can charge it off a solar panel [video=youtube_share;tUKHY7OHIRc]http://youtu.be/tUKHY7OHIRc[/video]

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I use a rechargeable plasma. I can charge it off a solar panel [video=youtube_share;tUKHY7OHIRc]http://youtu.be/tUKHY7OHIRc[/video]

Do you find that the higher temperature of this lighter is damaging to materials you intend to heat up but not necessarily burn? A small tube of glass for example? Asking for a friend.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    It is an issue, but if you use a metal pipe with a significant amount of chor boy... Go for a significant length of pipe and less fire duration or you may burn some sensitive parts.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Do you find that the higher temperature of this lighter is damaging to materials you intend to heat up but not necessarily burn? A small tube of glass for example? Asking for a friend.

It is an issue, but if you use a metal pipe with a significant amount of chor boy... Go for a significant length of pipe and less fire duration or you may burn some sensitive parts.

That thing would burn right through a sheet of aluminum foil!

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    In the apocalypse the question isn’t, how am I going to light what may or may not be in my glass tube or car antenna, but where am I going to find what I might put in my glass tube/antenna.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I used to carry a small disposable lighter in my pocket, even though I've never smoked. Handy to have. Saying "Yes" when someone asks for a light is a good icebreaker, too.

Now, I just have one in my go-bag. Got one of those little plastic sealed cases for it. Has a full load of fuel 2 years later. Used it the other day to start the fire pit.

I heard on INGO that being asked for a light was a precursor to getting robbed. I always pull my sidearm instead. Am I wrong? :dunno:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Proper response is supposed to be a loud command to "Back OFF #$^&*^ %^^&*&^%"!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I heard on INGO that being asked for a light was a precursor to getting robbed. I always pull my sidearm instead. Am I wrong? :dunno:

41SVzFixTRL._SX355_.jpg

Top Bottom