• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The tenant problem may be resolved. She just called DoggyMama in tears and said she would be out by Wednesday. We never suggested that but she did know what was going on with this situation. Thing is, it doesn't do a thing to help the situation with the zoning, but it may help it from being compounded if they found she was living out there.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    First off Prayers for the Treatments! Thats from a Survivor. Be extremely nice to the Code Nazis. Sometime they look for every little nit-picky thing to site you on. This can turn into a Nightmare Quickly.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    First off Prayers for the Treatments! Thats from a Survivor. Be extremely nice to the Code Nazis. Sometime they look for every little nit-picky thing to site you on. This can turn into a Nightmare Quickly.
    So true about Code Nazis, friend made a mod to his drive way, everyone else on the street had done the same. Code Nazis tells him there was a complaint filed and his in violation, he asked why the other driveways was ok, he was told basically comply or I'll make your life misery. Friend could have fought it, but $$$$$ to do it. Best of luck.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Thank you for the prayers! And yes, I will not be doing anything to get on their bad side, and I tried to make that clear in my email, saying that of course I wanted to be in compliance but that I just had some questions to make sure I was legal, and also to see if I could have more than a week to get it done.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Just to throw it out there, and I understand this doesn't fix the truck and trailer problem, but why not offer to let so and so continue to use the RV, in an RV park, if they can cough up for the park fees? This would temporarily solve some of your problems and also remove a questionable use of an RV on your property. I don't even want to think what would happen if the RV caught fire because someone was living in it and it set your house off...

Also just to throw it out there, I had about a dozen cars worth of gravel parking lot properly installed at my last house and the cost to have about 2/3 of it professionally done was about $4k (I moved and hauled most of the dirt with a rented dump trailer and a compact tractor... that was a huge mistake... should have just paid to have it all done). Pay a guy with a Bobcat to do it and it's a 1-2 day job.

Anyhow... Good luck.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    We used to store our RV at Lake Haven Retreat. Edgewood & US 37. They have full hookups if needed on occasion or just dry storage. It's been a few years, but they were very nice people to deal with.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I spoke to the code guy that sent me the letter today and he was actually pretty cool about the whole thing. He apologized for not having replied to my email yet (he knew he had received it though). He gave me an extension to December 7, so that helps. He also gave me some "hints" about temporary work arounds (parking in the back yard is apparently fine - hard surface or not). But I do want to go ahead and gravel the area (which he said was fine as a hard surface). Hate losing a tree to do it, but that's really the only way to do it.

I'm hoping to be able to have a tri-axle to get back there and kinda spread as he dumps and then I would do the final leveling out. Renting a compact tractor does sound attractive though. I've always wanted to drive one of those little bobcats. :):

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I spoke to the code guy that sent me the letter today and he was actually pretty cool about the whole thing. He apologized for not having replied to my email yet (he knew he had received it though). He gave me an extension to December 7, so that helps. He also gave me some "hints" about temporary work arounds (parking in the back yard is apparently fine - hard surface or not). But I do want to go ahead and gravel the area (which he said was fine as a hard surface). Hate losing a tree to do it, but that's really the only way to do it.

I'm hoping to be able to have a tri-axle to get back there and kinda spread as he dumps and then I would do the final leveling out. Renting a compact tractor does sound attractive though. I've always wanted to drive one of those little bobcats. :):
    For the love of all that is good and holy, don’t plan on the leveling out that gravel by hand. Trust me, what you spend to have someone do it or to rent a small skid steer is money unbelievably well spent.

Gravel pads are one of those projects where you can really easily spend way more money doing it yourself then it would have just cost to have someone who already has the equipment come in and do it cleanly.

This time of year, you could probably find a smaller concrete outfit willing to do it pretty dang cheap.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For the love of all that is good and holy, don’t plan on the leveling out that gravel by hand. Trust me, what you spend to have someone do it or to rent a small skid steer is money unbelievably well spent.

Gravel pads are one of those projects where you can really easily spend way more money doing it yourself then it would have just cost to have someone who already has the equipment come in and do it cleanly.

This time of year, you could probably find a smaller concrete outfit willing to do it pretty dang cheap.

Exactly.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Oh yeah, been there, done that spreading a new layer of gravel on a driveway where I used to live. We had overhanging branches, so they couldn't get a tri-axle dump truck back there to do any of the spreading, so they dumped it in a big pile and I spread it with a wheelbarrow and shovel. Not fun! And I was about 30 years younger back then too! :): That's a good point about a small concrete outfit. I'll have to do some calling around.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

No experience with this stuff, other than I might ask him to either send you a letter stating what he told you, or an email at least with the info. I'd hate to do all this and then get someone else with a different opinion on it from a code standpoint.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

I know this is a couple of days late, but I have to affirm what Fargo says about not leveling it out by hand. This is from a recent project:

pile.jpeg

cartload.jpeg

completed.jpeg

Doing just that much by hand beat me to death. And I'm only about 1/3 done.

Attachments

• pile.jpeg
      pile.jpeg
      73.6 KB · Views: 5
    • completed.jpeg
      completed.jpeg
      90.3 KB · Views: 7
    • cartload.jpeg
      cartload.jpeg
      71.8 KB · Views: 5
    Last edited:

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    I came home one day to a tri-axle load of gravel dumped in my driveway, blocking my access to the garage. Wife didn't even have the driver spread it slowly on his way out. She says to me, well you have the "tractor". I have a riding mower with a snow blade attachment. I was not pleased.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    This may not be what you want to do. But Shelby concrete sells 2 types of gravel (base and some bigger stuff) for $20 a pickup load.

They were gentle with my Dodge. None the less, it certainly tested the springs. And it is a chore to spread. Shelby Address: 2701 S Emerson Ave.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This may not be what you want to do. But Shelby concrete sells 2 types of gravel (base and some bigger stuff) for $20 a pickup load.

They were gentle with my Dodge. None the less, it certainly tested the springs. And it is a chore to spread. Shelby Address: 2701 S Emerson Ave.

Thanks Dave. Do you know offhand if they would deliver or just do the job themselves, or are they more of a supply place?

ETA: Looks like they do deliver. :yesway:

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Also - if you do get gravel - get the gravel with the "fines" included.

And if you need a concrete guy - let me know. My neighbor is one and seems to do pretty good work.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Also - if you do get gravel - get the gravel with the "fines" included.

And if you need a concrete guy - let me know. My neighbor is one and seems to do pretty good work.

I didn't see that as an option on the site BGDave gave me. It will just be a gravel pad, so I was thinking crushed limestone... about 1/2 - 3/4", whatever size that is.

Top Bottom