• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    8's look great but will sink in without a base. I used 4's for a base & 8's for the top but got tired of spending the $$'s to look nice. I gave in to 53's as suggested by my Gravel guy. We were doing a drive. ALL gravel disappears to CHINA :rolleyes:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Thanks Dave. Do you know offhand if they would deliver or just do the job themselves, or are they more of a supply place?

ETA: Looks like they do deliver. :yesway:
    I didn't even think to ask if they delivered. (strong back, weak mind). That is good to know though. Thanks.:thumbsup:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    53's sounds like it may be the way to go unless it's a lot more expensive than the 8's. This is going to be strictly a parking pad, so it's not like a driveway that will be driven on repeatedly. Basically just something for the boat, pickup and RV to sit on.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Look in to putting a geotextile fabric on the ground before you spread the stone. It provides a filter that lets water pass thru without letting the stone sink into the dirt. It will make your stone last much longer and help keep weeds from growing thru. I'd suggest a #5 or #8 stone for a parking area.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Renting a compact tractor does sound attractive though. I've always wanted to drive one of those little bobcats. :):

Just to be clear... DO NOT rent a compact tractor to do any amount of real work. DO rent a Bobcat/skid steer. A compact tractor job is what the fellow above with the UTV and small trailer has going on and it would have been great for him. That's not laying a parking lot for an RV. You will hate life with anything under 40hp, and the nearer to 100hp, the better. BIG Bobcat. A lot of places will let you do a late Friday night through Monday at 7am deal for just the cost of Saturday (because they're closed Sundays). Call around. It's well worth the money. As a side note, a buddy of mine put 40 hours on a Bobcat on one of those deals. All day and most of the night all weekend.

This may not be what you want to do. But Shelby concrete sells 2 types of gravel (base and some bigger stuff) for $20 a pickup load.

Respectfully, do not do this. It will take you approximately 8,000 trips to get enough gravel for what you're doing. When I bought mine, a tri-axle of whatever I wanted, plus I'm sure the mark-up through the contractor I hired to do it, was about $280 for whatever I wanted. It took 5 trucks, which in my time is an infinity amount of messing around with pick up bed sized loads.

---

I did have mine laid big on the bottom and fine on top, and a full 8" deep. I didn't bother with any matting since it really was just a "parking" lot and not a driveway. It really didn't take any wear and tear with stuff just sitting on it most of the time.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks for all the tips guys. Not overly concerned with weeds because the area is heavily shaded and grass barely grows there. Full sized Bobcat sounds like the way to go. There's a rental place near me (Bluff and Troy) that has those weekend deals too.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Just to be clear... DO NOT rent a compact tractor to do any amount of real work. DO rent a Bobcat/skid steer. A compact tractor job is what the fellow above with the UTV and small trailer has going on and it would have been great for him. That's not laying a parking lot for an RV. You will hate life with anything under 40hp, and the nearer to 100hp, the better. BIG Bobcat. A lot of places will let you do a late Friday night through Monday at 7am deal for just the cost of Saturday (because they're closed Sundays). Call around. It's well worth the money. As a side note, a buddy of mine put 40 hours on a Bobcat on one of those deals. All day and most of the night all weekend.

Respectfully, do not do this. It will take you approximately 8,000 trips to get enough gravel for what you're doing. When I bought mine, a tri-axle of whatever I wanted, plus I'm sure the mark-up through the contractor I hired to do it, was about $280 for whatever I wanted. It took 5 trucks, which in my time is an infinity amount of messing around with pick up bed sized loads.

---

I did have mine laid big on the bottom and fine on top, and a full 8" deep. I didn't bother with any matting since it really was just a "parking" lot and not a driveway. It really didn't take any wear and tear with stuff just sitting on it most of the time.

Yes, this. Moving just that much by hand was more than I wanted to do, and I'm only about 1/3 done. I've used the small Bobcat before for landscaping jobs, and it would have made this much easier. For the size of job you need, a full size skid steer (Bobcat) is what you need.

On the other hand, when I had more serious work done, I hired a guy who used a Bobcat and a small excavator. His skill and knowledge made the job go quickly, and was well worth the $$ spent.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Thanks for all the tips guys. Not overly concerned with weeds because the area is heavily shaded and grass barely grows there. Full sized Bobcat sounds like the way to go. There's a rental place near me (Bluff and Troy) that has those weekend deals too.
    Jim, playing with a skid steer might look like fun, but they can beat the hell out of you! If you can, pay someone who knows what they’re doing! Also, you’ll need at least twice as much gravel as you think! It doesn’t go nearly as far as you might think.

I might have a guy if you need. Let me know.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Yes, this. Moving just that much by hand was more than I wanted to do, and I'm only about 1/3 done. I've used the small Bobcat before for landscaping jobs, and it would have made this much easier. For the size of job you need, a full size skid steer (Bobcat) is what you need.

On the other hand, when I had more serious work done, I hired a guy who used a Bobcat and a small excavator. His skill and knowledge made the job go quickly, and was well worth the $$ spent.

To put it out there... It's not too late to take your own advice and rent something yourself. Or ask around at work or where ever you know people to see if someone with a compact tractor would help you out. They're nearly ubiquitous on any property bigger than a couple acres these days. It might even be worth it offer the owner 50% of the cost of a grader box, in exchange for help now and then, if they don't already have one. A quick glance at TSC shows that to be $300 for the entry level unit.

I do agree that a pro is worth the cost sometimes. The guy I hired was so old he started on steam shovels and he drove a giant Bobcat like an ace. I swear he could have put a single pebble or a giant bolder exactly where you wanted it within 1/2", all at full speed. He charged, getting near 10 years ago now, $90/hr for skid steer work. Very fair, IMO.

Jim, playing with a skid steer might look like fun, but they can beat the hell out of you! If you can, pay someone who knows what they’re doing! Also, you’ll need at least twice as much gravel as you think! It doesn’t go nearly as far as you might think.

For digging, that's absolutely true. However, just about any fool should be able to spread gravel without taking too much of a beating. I've even managed to do it and I fit the description of "fool" more accurately than I'll admit on most days.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks to Dirtebiker, I'm all set. :ingo: His guy has given me a price and is coming by Monday to take a look at the project. The price was right about what I though it was going to be, and it's one-stop shopping. He's handling the gravel delivery as well as spreading and leveling (two tri-ax loads). I measured this morning and the area will be roughly 1336 square feet (148.5 square yards). I figured 6 inches deep would be about 25 cubic yards. Two tri-ax loads would be 30 yards, so that ought to get me a little closer to 8" deep. I'll be glad to have it off my plate!

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. The contractor also thought that 53's would be the way to go for the gravel since I don't have an established base.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Have you looked into the legal times to shoot off fireworks?

There really quite broad. Don’t “fence you in” much at all. Is the roof of the RV rated for an adult weight?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, after fighting Mother Nature tooth and nail for the past couple of weeks, I finally have my gravel parking area! Pretty slick the way they put it in, and the best part was that the dump trucks used the complaining neighbor's driveway to do it. :D (I got the hubby's permission - he's a reasonable man.) Very happy with the way it came out and it will be better for the vehicles to be parked on gravel instead of the bare ground too. Thanks again to Dirtebiker for the recommendation of the landscaping business! :ingo:

Before:

qH41AS2.jpg

During:

0ij7WYY.jpg

TcFZowM.jpg

And the finished product:

ave6u5X.jpg

Rp4Y6ow.jpg

Top Bottom