• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Have a job interview today via zoom. I’ve had 2 job interviews in 30 years so a little rusty.
    I’m confident in myself and qualifications for the job but doing this remotely is a new challenge for me.
    I know it’s nothing new but seeing if anyone else has went thru something similar.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Have a job interview today via zoom. I’ve had 2 job interviews in 30 years so a little rusty.
    I’m confident in myself and qualifications for the job but doing this remotely is a new challenge for me.
    I know it’s nothing new but seeing if anyone else has went thru something similar.
    It's a little more difficult to convey things through body language on a Zoom interview, so make sure you are very clear in saying everything you intend to convey

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Yes. I would suggest researching the company, and asking questions regarding how long the person in the position you're interviewing for was in that position. Potentially questions about leadership styles, etc.

Another good question is what do they consider their ideal employee, gives you a good indication as to whether they want you to work nonstop with no outside work life.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Be well-lit.

If you can, wear headphones or earbuds to hear and use a separate mic so they can hear you. This will keep audio feedback to a minimum.

Be in a distraction & traffic-free zone. No one else in/out of frame to be seen. No one else should be heard, either.

Have the camera above your nostrils if at all possible.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Be well-lit.

If you can, wear headphones or earbuds to hear and use a separate mic so they can hear you. This will keep audio feedback to a minimum.

Be in a distraction & traffic-free zone. No one else in/out of frame to be seen. No one else should be heard, either.

Have the camera above your nostrils if at all possible.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated! I will be in my office and have a stand for my phone set up. It’s well lit and I have pants on! Just wondering what it will look like. “ hey we’re interviewing a forehead “ is not what I’m going for!;).

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Zoom interviews? That would throw me also.
    I would not sweat it much on a zoom interview as there must be a reason for such a thing. Either they are getting lots of no shows for the positionThey are “branch covidians “ and worries overly about catching the bug. Or they are just going through the we have to interview for this but “Bobby sue” is moving from warehouse for this one.

just be one time and take the above advise which I would not have thought of. I bet it is a quick will call you or can you come on Tuesday for a real interview situation.

I would want to see the mannerisms of those I interview in person. To do that I would need to see them in person.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have conducted a bunch of Zoom interviews in the last few months. Make sure you have a decent camera and mic. I’ll echo the above suggestions.

Know as much as you can about that particular company and have at least three questions that show you know what they do in depth.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Shim the camera or laptop or whatever up so it looks you direct in the face instead of looking up your nose.

My general experience with Zoom interviews has been that because they're cheap and easy, HR departments do a lot more of them and take each one less seriously than a real interview. Or maybe it's just my luck.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    100% remote company. I've interviewed (and hired, and currently manage) remote employees in India, Colombia, and all over the USA. Just spent the last 8 hours on various "calls".

Specific to Zoom, or any video conferencing meeting/interview:
    - good audio is a must. The built-in mic is rarely sufficient. Even wired earbuds w/ mic (like the pre-AirPods ear buds) are better.
    - decent camera. Lighting makes the most difference. To avoid the whole "camera up your nose" vantage point, sit your laptop up on some books or a box so it is more eye level.
    - Nothing distracting in the background. Audio or video.
    - Give slightly longer pauses to avoid talking over each other. No matter what, there may still be that fraction of a second lag that throws you off. Just be aware, and adjust your cadence to accommodate.
    - Eye contact is TOUGH. Try not to get distracted and look around. It is REALLY obvious on camera. Look at the video, look down to take notes (very obviously) and then look BACK at the video. Not out the window, or at your cat.
    - Wear pants! It is still an interview!

Happy to chat about working remote, conferencing etiquette, and the like. Been working this way for about 7 years now. Can't beat the commute!

OH! And good luck!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And dont get TOO close to the camera if you want to convey that body language. Back it off a bit if you talk with your hands. Everything else said upthread is spot on.

Good luck!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would reinforce eldirector's comment on trying not to talk over the other person. You will know very quickly if there is lag or not. Adjust to it if there is.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Use a well lit room.

When they ask if you have any questions ask things like:

What does a successful person on this position look like?

If money, time, and staff was not an issue
    what would you change?

Why have you been here as long as you have?

What is the culture like here?

Good luck!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Shim the camera or laptop or whatever up so it looks you direct in the face instead of looking up your nose.
    I thought you were supposed to hold your camera up over your head. That's what all the "influencers" do with their vids and selfies. I guess it depends on the amount and quality of your cleavage. :):

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I thought you were supposed to hold your camera up over your head. That's what all the "influencers" do with their vids and selfies. I guess it depends on the amount and quality of your cleavage. :):
    Remember to hold it high over your head, push your shoulders together to squeeze your boobs up, and make a face like you're blowing the dust out of a Nintendo cartridge.

Top Bottom