Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Best midlife crisis car?

Statistically speaking, I'm within a few months of being at the 50% mark of US male life expectancy. I figure that's midlife crisis time. Nothing furrin. No motorcycles until I retire and get out of the city. Then maybe I'll get an Indian. For now, I'm thinking sports car. Something that you can get in and out of without a lot of stress on the knees (ie, no C3 Corvettes, been there). Nothing furrin. Preferably under $20k. Nothing furrin. I'm thinking a stick shift. Nothing furrin.

Domestic preferred.

Options so far:
    2011+ Mustang (motors were upgraded in 2011 pretty dramatically)
    New body style Camaro. I've had 3 Camaros over the years when I was young, with the '97 Z28 with 6-speed stick being the newest and bestest.
    MAYBE an C5 Corvette. I've always liked 'Vettes. I had a C3 when I was a childish...sorry, childless soldier with no other bills to pay. I know the C5s are ay faster and more capable.
    Challenger, but it'd have to be a V8 and they are kinda pricey. Sweet road trip car, though.

I'm not sure how serious I am, but I have been looking at what insurance costs for various options. $40/mo for a 2000-ish Corvette. $70/mo for a 2014 V8 Mustang. You know, just in case.
    My nuts are the great uniter.

If $20k was my budget and I was considering a C5 I'd be getting a Z06. Starting in 2002 they had 405hp. I look at these cars all the time and they're a steal in my opinion as long as you're ok with the C5 body style and horsepower.

2002 z06 in Cars & Trucks | eBay
    Busse Combat. Unchallenged. Unmatched. No regrets.

I am a fan of the newer Mustangs outfitted with the Coyote 5.0 motor for sure. Easy to enter and exit and super fun to drive. Easy to mod as well. Personally, not a MOPAR fan as I've had a couple of their trucks with nothing but problems and currently drive a 2012 Charger for work that has been nothing but headaches for all my guys who drive them. Truly not a lot of quality and workmanship in the police models, but maybe the higher end Challengers are better.
    Do yourself a favor and look into what services and recalls have been done on your C5 and C6 Corvettes.. Many have had issues with the tops delaminating, shifters rendering the car immobile, harmonic balancers coming apart (causing wobble - $2000 repair), valve train in the 2001-2003 ZO6s and computer issues. Very nice cars, but if you purchase one that has any of these issues, it's big money to repair.
    Last edited by Snipercop; 11-14-2016 at 18:39.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I think the newer Camaros are pretty bad arse. I know it's beyond the budget, but the 2016 Mustangs look awesome too.
    A Burly man drinks Spiked Soda from a Dented can.

My Son sold his 2005 Corvette a Month ago, $20,000. The guy came from West of Peoria Ill. To Ft Wayne to buy it. I've had older Vettes, but this was Way better than any of the old ones. Great on the highway & 29 mpg. I hated to see that car go, I had access.......
    "If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
    Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.
    And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind."
    Major Michael Davis O'Donnell KIA 7 Feb 1978

I Care...Really

Quote Originally Posted by jd4320t View Post
    If $20k was my budget and I was considering a C5 I'd be getting a Z06. Starting in 2002 they had 405hp. I look at these cars all the time and they're a steal in my opinion as long as you're ok with the C5 body style and horsepower.

2002 z06 in Cars & Trucks | eBay
    Yeah if it is a Mid-Life thing screw the Horse man and get the Vette.

Mine will be 03-04 Mustang. Terminator. If I could figure out how to post a video of one of them I would. Ohhhhh the supercharger whine when it goes by.

You said no motorcycles.

Well, I still vote motorcycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by db1959 View Post
    Jagee for king mod!
    Quote Originally Posted by db1959 View Post
    all hail king jagee

I had a 97Z 6 speed also. Really liked that car. Met my wife in it. Alot happened in that car. Somethings are on my permanent record.

Out of what you mentioned, Vette. That's what all the other old men do. You can then meet up with them at the golf courses and go out for tea.

Personally, I prefer not being like everyone else...

Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast