Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

The Literally 'Fake News' Thread

Want to try something different here... Please post examples of news articles that are literally 'fake news'... as in, outright propaganda or maliciously misleading. Not something you think is 'fake'... but provably 'fake'.

I have a sort of content I'm looking for in-mind... and I don't want this to be a place to drop news that you just don't like or disagree with. There are definitely better threads for that sort of discussion.

I'm going to post a few examples. When you contribute, it'd be cool if you fetch the actual headline of the story as you see it, then a brief description about why you think it belongs here. And, by all means, discuss the contributions!

While some examples here will likely be political in nature, all examples of 'fake news' should be included. Let's try to stick to somewhat "reputable" or "prominent" outlets, or we'll hit the page limit in a week!

---

So this is from today, Gardner Harris at the New York Times.

Nikki Haley’s View of New York Is Priceless. Her Curtains? $52,701

What does this headline imply to you? Well, given the reaction to it on Reddit... Nikki Haley is an awful person, something about living rich, blah blah blah.

Well if you look past the headline to, oh, paragraph 6 (before the article was revised)...

A spokesman for Ms. Haley said plans to buy the curtains were made in 2016, during the Obama administration. Ms. Haley had no say in the purchase, he said.
    Oh. So Trump and Haley didn't buy $52k curtains. It was actually ordered for the State Department in 2016, and she had no say in it, and the purchase would have gone forward regardless of who became President.

The NYT has just now revised the article, and included this. See, reviewing an article is supposed to happen before it's published.

So, while the content of the story has truth, even reasonable reasoning... the headline, implications, and intent behind it were 100% fake.

This was perpetuated by other outlets, of course... Including The Hill, and New York Post (which did not mention the 2016 date, or Obama administration.)

Even Jake Tapper of CNN went on to 'fact-check' this.

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/statu...01011247882240
    Last edited by GPIA7R; 09-14-2018 at 14:07.

User Info Menu

Uh... should we have an in-thread rule about only 1 Huffington Post article per hour/day/week? Just not sure they deserve that much of a traffic increase.

Oh, maybe the same for Breitbart.
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    Uh... should we have an in-thread rule about only 1 Huffington Post article per hour/day/week? Just not sure they deserve that much of a traffic increase.

Oh, maybe the same for Breitbart.
    Archive links are preferred, and encouraged. Helps to preserve pages in case they are revised, as a bonus!

Webpage archive is one such archiving site. You can input a URL of an article, and generate an archive link.

This may require some manual editing by us to add the headline into the forum. It won't always fetch it.

Edit: I'm a bit apprehensive to even include ThinkProgress... they've been having a rough week full of literally 'fake news'. I'll have to think on how to include hyper-partisan outlets without making it spammy.
    Last edited by GPIA7R; 09-14-2018 at 14:10.
    Let me remove the Eggplant Curse.

User Info Menu

So this fits.

Guy from The Weather Channel is bracing for his life in the winds... suddenly, two dudes walk right by in the background, obviously not fighting super-strong wind.

https://twitter.com/gourdnibler/stat...78572262916096

Weather Channel reporter goes viral after appearing to fake extreme wind conditions

TWC actually responded to the video, stating:

“It’s important to note that the two individuals in the background are walking on concrete, and Mike Seidel is trying to maintain his footing on wet grass, after reporting on-air until 1:00 a.m. ET this morning and is undoubtedly exhausted,” the network said.
    So... news guy gets caught exaggerating (or lying). Trying to create a story instead of just report on what's going on.

It may be minor, but it's fake.
    Let me remove the Eggplant Curse.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GPIA7R View Post
    So this fits.

Guy from The Weather Channel is bracing for his life in the winds... suddenly, two dudes walk right by in the background, obviously not fighting super-strong wind.

https://twitter.com/gourdnibler/stat...78572262916096

Weather Channel reporter goes viral after appearing to fake extreme wind conditions

TWC actually responded to the video, stating:

So... news guy gets caught exaggerating (or lying). Trying to create a story instead of just report on what's going on.

It may be minor, but it's fake.
    I posted the video in the Hurricane Florence thread.
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

Actaeon - act'-tee-on
    The death of Actaeon - http://www.paleothea.com/Myths/Actaeon.html

User Info Menu

Paris Hilton: Virgin

News at 11

Yes I am for gun control!! A firm grip, steady aim, and a gentle squeeze!!

What comes after your first "infraction"? Double Secret Probation perhaps???

User Info Menu

http://cnn.com

There, all done.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinNFluff View Post
    At a family gathering, my sister was getting ready to leave. She walked up and gave me a hug and said "Your phone is poking me." I smiled and replied simply with "That's not my phone".
    Quote Originally Posted by Leggdpms View Post
    ...he said alright sir and shaked my hard and said he has respect...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow8088 View Post
    I cocked my head to the side a little and was admiring his piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    And seriously, where are those testicles being served? I want to just shove a handful into my mouth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SkinNFluff View Post
    At a family gathering, my sister was getting ready to leave. She walked up and gave me a hug and said "Your phone is poking me." I smiled and replied simply with "That's not my phone".
    Quote Originally Posted by Leggdpms View Post
    ...he said alright sir and shaked my hard and said he has respect...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow8088 View Post
    I cocked my head to the side a little and was admiring his piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    And seriously, where are those testicles being served? I want to just shove a handful into my mouth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by printcraft View Post
    Seems to be popular now. Reporting from a drainage ditch.
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

Actaeon - act'-tee-on
    The death of Actaeon - http://www.paleothea.com/Myths/Actaeon.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by actaeon277 View Post
    Seems to be popular now. Reporting from a drainage ditch.
    No, no, no... they're reporting from "in the trenches".

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast