• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Soooooo I think I'd like to get my Ram 1500 leveled out. I have the tow package and so the front sits a decent amount lower than the rear, which I want to rectify. I've looked online but I don't have any practical experience with such things so I'm looking for advice. I just want to lift the front so that it sits level with the rear. Help me INGO, what do I need?

The truck is a 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7L

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Since you have a tow package what do you plan on towing? How much tongue weight? How much weight do you put in the bed? I would consider my towing and payload requirements before deciding how to play with the suspension

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I put a 2" leveling kit on the front of my Silverado, but didn't like how it sat when I had my boat hooked up. Ended up putting a 2" on the back also. If you don't tow much, doing just the front will probably be fine.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I had a 2.5" leveling kit put on my 2015 Ram, turned out well and not having the rake is nice. I don't plan on towing but that was one thing that always came up looking into leveling kits, that if you tow or haul a lot, that it might look weird when towing or hauling heavy loads

If you do go with the leveling kit, get one with bump stops. Was recommended to me over and over again by a couple mechanics

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Since you have a tow package what do you plan on towing? How much tongue weight? How much weight do you put in the bed? I would consider my towing and payload requirements before deciding how to play with the suspension

yup, they are taller in the rear for a reason.
    If all you haul is golf clubs or groceries or you plan to play in the mud/offroad, go for it. but you'll look even sillier if you use it, well, like a truck.

I don't know about dodge, but I know ford cautions against this. The computer looks at truck angle for things like skid control. just something to look into before jumping in to a lift.

2c
    -rvb

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Friends with a landscaping company pull trailers with everything from mowers to bobcats. They went with a Firestone airbag system that auto levels the truck and can be adjusted from inside the cab.... not sure on cost, but they really don’t care since it was a business expense.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    yup, they are taller in the rear for a reason.
    If all you haul is golf clubs or groceries or you plan to play in the mud/offroad, go for it. but you'll look even sillier if you use it, well, like a truck.

I don't know about dodge, but I know ford cautions against this. The computer looks at truck angle for things like skid control. just something to look into before jumping in to a lift.

2c
    -rvb

oh.
    ps. If you do level it, adjust your headlights back to original angle so you aren't high-beaming everyone even w/ your low beams on.

-rvb

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    As far as towing with a nose up attitude, if it's a heavy load you should consider a load equalizing hitch anyway. Much safer towing that way, it doesn't blind oncoming drivers by jacking up the front end when loaded, keeps weight on your front tires so steering/braking aren't negatively impacted, etc, etc, etc.

No experience with the leveling kits but my '17 GMC is factory leveled.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    As far as towing with a nose up attitude, if it's a heavy load you should consider a load equalizing hitch anyway. Much safer towing that way, it doesn't blind oncoming drivers by jacking up the front end when loaded, keeps weight on your front tires so steering/braking aren't negatively impacted, etc, etc, etc.

absolutely agree! except that a properly set up weight distributing hitch will still leave most of the load on the rear axle where it belongs; they don't apply the weight to the axles evenly. They just keep the front from getting lighter. so if you start level and drop a half ton on the hitch, you'll still end up low in the rear even w/ a WDH (unless airbags are used).

-rvb

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I don’t tow or haul much of anything that’s heavy. I don’t really work it like a truck all that much. I do haul things but rarely ever tow, so that’s not much of a consideration.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Just put a bunch of weight in the back so it is as low as the front.

Let some air out of the rear tires to bring the overall height down.

It will also help with trying to save weight.
    60 lbs. up front with 20 lbs. in the rear is 80 lbs. off of your unsprung weight, unless it's a dually then you save 160 lbs.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    So seriously, I see a bunch of different leveling kits and types out there. Which are the preferred method and which should be avoided? I'm not interested in spending the money that would be required for airbags or anything self-leveling...I just want to get the rake out of it.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Its OP's money, he can spend it how he wants...

...but leveling kits on tow vehicles are stupid.

Put a block in the front to make it level with the rear, but if its anything other than a mall truck, the rear sags whenever you put a load in the bed or have a trailer with any tongue weight...now you're installing airbags to raise the bed when under load to fix the issue you induced by leveling in the first place.

That's a lot of dollars fixing self-induced "problems".

But again, its yo' truck and yo' money.

#SaveTheRake

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So seriously, I see a bunch of different leveling kits and types out there. Which are the preferred method and which should be avoided? I'm not interested in spending the money that would be required for airbags or anything self-leveling...I just want to get the rake out of it.

Honestly, we’re just talking about a coil spacer. It’s hard to mess that up. Both my brothers run Rough Country. And right now, 4 Wheel Parts has a sale going on right now.

Top Bottom