• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You want Bilstein 5100’s for the front level and I wouldn’t max them at 2.8”. You’re likely to need replacement upper control arms in a 2014 but I wouldn’t buy them until the ball joints pop out, my 2013 has handled the Bilsteins fine so far.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    You want Bilstein 5100’s for the front level and I wouldn’t max them at 2.8”. You’re likely to need replacement upper control arms in a 2014 but I wouldn’t buy them until the ball joints pop out, my 2013 has handled the Bilsteins fine so far.

Didn't read the rest of the thread, but this is what I did on my Toyota FJ. I didn't need any other equipment (other than new strut mounting hardware itself on the front), but my Bilstein 5100's provide a good level and much better ride/less body roll or nose dive, etc than before. Bilstein 5100 struts on the front with the adjustment done (would have to look at which setting I used again) and I did Bilstein 5100 shocks on the back as well just because it was time, but of course the rears don't have the adjustment.

Last edited:

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    On my previous truck(2005 F150) I started off with coil spacers that bolted on top of the coil then after a year or so I switched to the Bilstein 5100's. I didn't have any issues with the spacer but switched to the Bilsteins to better control the large tires I was running (33 x 13 x 18). After adding the Bilsteins the truck felt more stable. I leveled the truck at around 20,000-30,000 miles on the clock and at around 100,000 miles I replaced the ball joints, they had a tiny tiny bit a play in them, I typically replace parts before they get very bad. All of the level kits will increase the angle on the ball joints and axles and they may wear out faster, part of the got to pay to play mantra.

I was going to level my current Silverado but I really don't feel like spending the extra $200-$300 on tires that are already going to cost a grand LOL.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Honestly, we’re just talking about a coil spacer. It’s hard to mess that up. Both my brothers run Rough Country. And right now, 4 Wheel Parts has a sale going on right now.

The problem is the rest if the suspension is designed NOT to have the spacer.

As a guy who had a front-level Dodge diesel for 13 years I’ll say: leave it stock even if you never tow.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I think I’ve decided to do Bilstein 5100s in the front to get to where I want to be. I don’t have the correct tools to do it all myself so I’m gonna take it somewhere I think.

Here it is as it sits right now

6E8B3780-26A7-42A9-B9A9-2AF5A67D3B77.jpg

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Silly question, you're not looking for larger tires or more ground clearance and not planning on hauling or towing, why not lower the back?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    might go larger on rims/tires in the future
    You certainly want to use struts and possibly springs that are designed for the elevated ride height then. I've had many a friend put lowering springs on a car and then have terrible ride issues as the dampers couldn't properly compensate for the reduced travel. I presume that a similar situation would occur if you raise the ride height without having the struts and springs tuned for that resting height. There is a lot of R&D that goes into proper spring/damper configurations on a vehicle.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You certainly want to use struts and possibly springs that are designed for the elevated ride height then. I've had many a friend put lowering springs on a car and then have terrible ride issues as the dampers couldn't properly compensate for the reduced travel. I presume that a similar situation would occur if you raise the ride height without having the struts and springs tuned for that resting height. There is a lot of R&D that goes into proper spring/damper configurations on a vehicle.

which is exactly why I'm looking at doing shocks/springs and not just blocks.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So who has suggestions on Indy area shops to install the Bilstein 5100s on my Ram?

Raymond's in Plainfield installed mine and did a great job. I had originally bought the struts & shocks at 4 Wheel Parts, and was going to have an independent I know do it, but he took a look at the front suspension on my FJ and backed out. Took it over to Raymonds and they knocked it out and did a great alignment as well. Talk to Eric over at Raymond's and he will give you a quote, etc. http://www.raymondsalignment.com/

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I popped into four wheel parts today and they’re gonna do the install for me. They give a lifetime guarantee on parts they install plus they can do the alignment as well. They are having a Black Friday special where there’s no tax so it’s a nice little savings.

Top Bottom