Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    This reminds me. IF you havent done so already, reinforce your doors. At the very least replace the exterior door strike screws with 3" screws, as well as the screws that hold the hinge to the frame. At the very least. That is like an $8 box of screws and 5 minutes of your time. The normal 1" screws only go into your frame, which is really weak. The longer screws secure the hardware to the sturdy 2x4 roughed in frame.

If you can, add a Door Devil or similar anti kick device.

EDIT: This is what happens when you dont use one. (or at least add longer screws)

It is a simple matter to pull the trim off the jamb. Get a couple of shim packs. 98 cents a pack. Use them to fill the empty space in several locations all along the casing 1X. Drill a pilot hole through into the house frame. Run a 3" screw into it but try not to pull the jamb in. That is what the shims are for. Do this behind the striker and the dead bolt as well. I used sheet metal on the entry doors wrapping the jamb. Once you paint it you will not see it and you have effectively made the door a force to be reckoned with. It takes about an hour to do the 1st one but then it is much easier.
    I used a router to bury an aluminum angle in the jambs of the back door and the garage entry door. The striker and dead bolt register in the angle.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I'll be honest and say it'd most likely depend on my proximity to the assailant's point of entry. If I'm downstairs near the doors, time to process the situation and act wouldn't be in my favor. Hate to say it. If upstairs with a bit more time to collect my senses, odds are better. To this day I recall 30+ years ago when somebody broke a window in my apartment just as I had gone to bed. The adrenaline rush was such that I probably couldn't have thrown a grenade through the open bedroom door let alone manipulate a weapon with any proficiency.

User Info Menu

Realistically, its a tossup. Sure I have a gun on me, but a motivated assailant with a shotgun getting the jump is not an ideal situation. Training and preparation are great, but they can only go so far when you have violence of action stacked against you. There are special ops guys with years upon years of training who get ambushed and killed overseas by untrained teenagers and goat herders because occasionally our guys have surprise, speed, or strength working against them. Being much less proficient than any operator on his worst day, it seems presumptuous to say I would fare well in this analogous circumstance.

User Info Menu

Honestly, I have no idea. But, this did lead to a conversation with my wife, and confirmed not only why the house is set up like it is, but how we should react if something goes sideways, and what else we could be doing now.

From my wife, who is active in the "missing persons" community: If you fight, you might die or you might survive. If you surrender, odds are you are dead. This little girl is only alive because SHE was the prize. In nearly all other cases, the victim is dead within hours. You have one opportunity to fend off the attack. After that, your survival is not in youe hands.
    Ryan "ElDirector"

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

I need to go back and really read the thing. Was this late at night. Everyone asleep. Or evening with normal family activity's. That would make a difference. Pulling up from a dead sleep to an activity of this level.......

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    I need to go back and really read the thing. Was this late at night. Everyone asleep. Or evening with normal family activity's. That would make a difference. Pulling up from a dead sleep to an activity of this level.......
    1am. Iím lucky in the respect my early warning system wouldnít allow a car door to shut on my property before going ape****. Iím of the firm belief you continue entry with that large German Shepherd trying to tear down the door youíre not there to bring me cookies.

Wife would sleep through it but it but I donít. Our bedroom is across the house from the front door and 1911 and a shotgun are both close at hand. Youíre not getting far. At least I hope. This is all armchair QB the day after.

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
    1am. Iím lucky in the respect my early warning system wouldnít allow a car door to shut on my property before going ape****. Iím of the firm belief you continue entry with that large German Shepherd trying to tear down the door youíre not there to bring me cookies.

Wife would sleep through it but it but I donít. Our bedroom is across the house from the front door and 1911 and a shotgun are both close at hand. Youíre not getting far. At least I hope. This is all armchair QB the day after.
    I remember the lay put of your place.
    I also remember the dog.....

1 AM, being torn from a deep sleep, that is the true test of your ability to defend. My spouse would be up possibly in front of me. She knows the drill. 911 and take armed cover is her job. Mine is to confront the situation.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Are we learning anything from this or is everyone pretty much thinking they are as good (or bad) as they will be, if this happened to them?
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

Gunfire=on switch=fights on. I can always deescalate if it turns out to be benign. I'm with CM on the cameras and the other CM on fortified doors.
    Thor himself has spoken, mere mortals must make it so. - bradmedic04

User Info Menu

Learning... Never prepared enough for stupid, but need to improve my education and lesson plan for the future.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    Objective standards are meaningless if people are not held to them.
    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36 NIV

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast