Would you have lived through the attack?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This reminds me. IF you havent done so already, reinforce your doors. At the very least replace the exterior door strike screws with 3" screws, as well as the screws that hold the hinge to the frame. At the very least. That is like an $8 box of screws and 5 minutes of your time. The normal 1" screws only go into your frame, which is really weak. The longer screws secure the hardware to the sturdy 2x4 roughed in frame.

If you can, add a Door Devil or similar anti kick device.

EDIT: This is what happens when you dont use one. (or at least add longer screws)

iu

It is a simple matter to pull the trim off the jamb. Get a couple of shim packs. 98 cents a pack. Use them to fill the empty space in several locations all along the casing 1X. Drill a pilot hole through into the house frame. Run a 3" screw into it but try not to pull the jamb in. That is what the shims are for. Do this behind the striker and the dead bolt as well. I used sheet metal on the entry doors wrapping the jamb. Once you paint it you will not see it and you have effectively made the door a force to be reckoned with. It takes about an hour to do the 1st one but then it is much easier.
    I used a router to bury an aluminum angle in the jambs of the back door and the garage entry door. The striker and dead bolt register in the angle.

AdventureTeamJoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 10, 2018
    Indy Northside
    I'll be honest and say it'd most likely depend on my proximity to the assailant's point of entry. If I'm downstairs near the doors, time to process the situation and act wouldn't be in my favor. Hate to say it. If upstairs with a bit more time to collect my senses, odds are better. To this day I recall 30+ years ago when somebody broke a window in my apartment just as I had gone to bed. The adrenaline rush was such that I probably couldn't have thrown a grenade through the open bedroom door let alone manipulate a weapon with any proficiency.

nwihiker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2018
    Lake County
    Realistically, its a tossup. Sure I have a gun on me, but a motivated assailant with a shotgun getting the jump is not an ideal situation. Training and preparation are great, but they can only go so far when you have violence of action stacked against you. There are special ops guys with years upon years of training who get ambushed and killed overseas by untrained teenagers and goat herders because occasionally our guys have surprise, speed, or strength working against them. Being much less proficient than any operator on his worst day, it seems presumptuous to say I would fare well in this analogous circumstance.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Honestly, I have no idea. But, this did lead to a conversation with my wife, and confirmed not only why the house is set up like it is, but how we should react if something goes sideways, and what else we could be doing now.

From my wife, who is active in the "missing persons" community: If you fight, you might die or you might survive. If you surrender, odds are you are dead. This little girl is only alive because SHE was the prize. In nearly all other cases, the victim is dead within hours. You have one opportunity to fend off the attack. After that, your survival is not in youe hands.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I need to go back and really read the thing. Was this late at night. Everyone asleep. Or evening with normal family activity's. That would make a difference. Pulling up from a dead sleep to an activity of this level.......:dunno:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I need to go back and really read the thing. Was this late at night. Everyone asleep. Or evening with normal family activity's. That would make a difference. Pulling up from a dead sleep to an activity of this level.......:dunno:

1am. I’m lucky in the respect my early warning system wouldn’t allow a car door to shut on my property before going ape****. I’m of the firm belief you continue entry with that large German Shepherd trying to tear down the door you’re not there to bring me cookies.

Wife would sleep through it but it but I don’t. Our bedroom is across the house from the front door and 1911 and a shotgun are both close at hand. You’re not getting far. At least I hope. This is all armchair QB the day after.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1am. I’m lucky in the respect my early warning system wouldn’t allow a car door to shut on my property before going ape****. I’m of the firm belief you continue entry with that large German Shepherd trying to tear down the door you’re not there to bring me cookies.

Wife would sleep through it but it but I don’t. Our bedroom is across the house from the front door and 1911 and a shotgun are both close at hand. You’re not getting far. At least I hope. This is all armchair QB the day after.

I remember the lay put of your place.
    I also remember the dog.....:):

1 AM, being torn from a deep sleep, that is the true test of your ability to defend. My spouse would be up possibly in front of me. She knows the drill. 911 and take armed cover is her job. Mine is to confront the situation.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Are we learning anything from this or is everyone pretty much thinking they are as good (or bad) as they will be, if this happened to them?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Gunfire=on switch=fights on. I can always deescalate if it turns out to be benign. I'm with CM on the cameras and the other CM on fortified doors.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Learning... Never prepared enough for stupid, but need to improve my education and lesson plan for the future.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My biggest concern about home invasion is a group of criminals dressing in faux tactical gear and trying to kick in the door while yelling "police, search warrant." I can't see through the door and don't want to be in front of it anyway, not sure if real police would turn on their car lights if asked.

I still think my best defense is people just not knowing what's behind door #1, Monty.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Jayme Closs' parents were killed because they were 'barrier' to her kidnapping, sheriff says

Wonder what tools (weapons) the parents had at hand.

I generally have a handgun at arms reach but don't carry to the kitchen to grab a snack or the bathroom. Ideally if both my wife and I were armed we double the firepower. But to be truly effective that would require significant training to coordinate planning and not shoot each other inadvertently and I am still working on getting her to carry.

I'd like to think I am a step ahead of my sheep neighbors but am far from being a bearded operator.

If both Jayme's parents were armed results may have been different but maybe not. Remember with a young kid in the house secure storage and immediate access becomes an issue. That being said not sure I would want to be alive if my kid was taken. I would second guess myself every remaining day of my life.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I am a Firefighter/Paramedic by trade I have reinforced my doors to grossly slow intruders. I always carry at home, whether outside working or reading my kids a book. I will unleash a large amount of bad idea on someone if they attempt to harm my family.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My biggest concern about home invasion is a group of criminals dressing in faux tactical gear and trying to kick in the door while yelling "police, search warrant." I can't see through the door and don't want to be in front of it anyway, not sure if real police would turn on their car lights if asked.

I still think my best defense is people just not knowing what's behind door #1, Monty.

There's absolutely no reason for law enforcement to come through my door. Anyone that forces their way through my door will incur the wrath of my defense and training.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Man, I'm an out lyer here. If someone kicked in my front door. They would be between me and the stairs that I would need to take to acquire a firearm.

Perhaps, I need to keep something closer by.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Man, I'm an out lyer here. If someone kicked in my front door. They would be between me and the stairs that I would need to take to acquire a firearm.

Perhaps, I need to keep something closer by.

If you are standing by me about anywhere in the house there is something close by. No more than a step or 2.
    I am not paranoid (:nailbite:) but life's lessons are all around us.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    If you are standing by me bout anywhere in the house there is something close by. No more than a step or 2.

Life's lessons can be unforgiving. Be prepared. Anything can become a weapon but a picture frame against a 12ga isn't my idea of evening the odds.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    If you are standing by me about anywhere in the house there is something close by. No more than a step or 2.
    Don't you regularly have small kids skittering around? How do you balance keeping weapons out of little hands and keeping weapons readily available?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Life's lessons can be unforgiving. Be prepared. Anything can become a weapon but a picture frame against a 12ga isn't my idea of evening the odds.

With the noise and effort required at my place to get the door un-A$$ed I would hope to be "On Time" sending my own version of hell his way.

But, we have no prize as in a 13 year old female to abduct. We do not deal drugs or hang with those who do. That cuts well back on someone being that dedicated to come in on my antique butt.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Don't you regularly have small kids skittering around? How do you balance keeping weapons out of little hands and keeping weapons readily available?

1st, our skittering little ones are well aware of firearms. The twins often sit with me at the bench while I am working on mine. Their dad and mom carry. We could leave one on the table and they would not touch it. They would come and get one of us and tell us. Being exposed is the key.

2nd, nothing is visible or within their reach. The nightstand pieces are moved to high ground every morning. I will move the bedside AR when they come over but even at that they are not in the least interested.

We would never put any child at risk. Never.

Top Bottom