Would you have lived through the attack?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Bedside AR? Damn you are kidding around.

I felt my bedside Rossi ranch hand was excessive so I switched to my 1911 with extended mag.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    "Blowing the hinges off the door" is not going to be a one-shot deal but it's not like everybody sits around gun-in-hand. Even if it takes three or more shots, the element of surprise is still on the side of the intruder but the WTF moment will almost always result in an armed response by most folks here, I'd like to think. Somebody trying to shoot down your door has set the table and is "paid for"! Hell, the doorbell ringing gets an armed person and we NEVER both go to the door. The wife has a gun IWB until we go to bed and mine is on a table next to my chair. At night, there is a gun in each nightstand and a shotgun one step away.

That said, I can only hope my response would be appropriate and hereby resurrect my former sig line. "What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bedside AR? Damn you are kidding around.

I felt my bedside Rossi ranch hand was excessive so I switched to my 1911 with extended mag.

Nope. Not in the least. (2) 1911's and a CZ in reach. The spouse takes up the CZ and gets under cover with cell phone. 911 on speed dial (I kid about speed dial but hey). AR is at the ready as well. Things have gone bump in the night round here. Gun fights on the street behind us were a fairly regular thing a few years ago. We have caught idiots in the yard at night. Neighbor caught some douche nozzles breaking into his van. He used a Louisville slugger. I prefer something a bit more final. Just s few examples.
    Thanks to the LEO in our area (2 are Ingo people) it has calmed down a lot. We get the drunk Mexican popping off rounds on occasion. There are still a few houses full of idiots and dirt bags back behind us but they are getting fewer.

As this the situation we are discussing it was a neighbor. Complete wack job. In these days you really are not aware of the people around you.

As to answering the door....If you are knocking I do not know you. Anyone welcome here calls/texts on arrival. They are on the cameras anyway.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Nope I don't sit around with a gun in my hand. It's in my holster and on me :):
    In the shower I keep it on a fast magnet. I'm ready. I wont be a victim easily. I'm not perfect but I live to protect my family. It is one specific thing that is my absolute responsibility as the father and husband. Its biblical. And if someone chooses to harm my family they will feel like God himself has come from heaven to smite them. I will not die until I stop them.

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    Not long ago someone tried to break in my front door at 6:30 pm with lights and tv on. From then on I carry at home. I’m not sure anyone can say for sure if we would be ready. None of us want to be in that situation but preparation is key.

Always remember 100% of home invasions occur at home. Lol.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nope I don't sit around with a gun in my hand. It's in my holster and on me :):
    In the shower I keep it on a fast magnet. I'm ready. I wont be a victim easily. I'm not perfect but I live to protect my family. It is one specific thing that is my absolute responsibility as the father and husband. Its biblical. And if someone chooses to harm my family they will feel like God himself has come from heaven to smite them. I will not die until I stop them.

There is not one of us that has not openly talked about what we have/build/shoot/buy and sell. It is what this place is about. It is also not very hard to fins any one of us that has been active in meeting people and sharing at events. Who is watching/listening. We stop and see friends at the LGS. One of my favorite stops happens to be a Pawn shop. It is hard not to be spotted. Marked.
    If some douche water drinker knows there is a score to be had, who is to say. Drugs and other abuses tend to soften the grey matter and some of these people just do not care.

Be ready. Have a plan. Yes relax and live but just know what to do when the SHTF at the front door.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Nope. Not in the least. (2) 1911's and a CZ in reach. The spouse takes up the CZ and gets under cover with cell phone. 911 on speed dial (I kid about speed dial but hey). AR is at the ready as well. Things have gone bump in the night round here. Gun fights on the street behind us were a fairly regular thing a few years ago. We have caught idiots in the yard at night. Neighbor caught some douche nozzles breaking into his van. He used a Louisville slugger. I prefer something a bit more final. Just s few examples.
    Thanks to the LEO in our area (2 are Ingo people) it has calmed down a lot. We get the drunk Mexican popping off rounds on occasion. There are still a few houses full of idiots and dirt bags back behind us but they are getting fewer.

As this the situation we are discussing it was a neighbor. Complete wack job. In these days you really are not aware of the people around you.

As to answering the door....If you are knocking I do not know you. Anyone welcome here calls/texts on arrival. They are on the cameras anyway.

What side of town do you live on? I joke I live "hood adjacent ". But sounds like you're in deeper than I.

ryanprivate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2018
    San Jose
    I would’ve blown this heathen away after the first round from his shotgun. I have my Glock 19 on me at all times when I’m at home and I also have a 12ga in my coat closet by the front door. I also have an AR pistol in my bedroom closet.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I Live down a long lane with one other house most people think one house(the neighbors) and the addresses are flip flopped. Compound the fact that I live at the junction of three counties. I would be waiting for law enforcement for a bit. I am prepared to make the best of the situation In my favor.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Very interesting thread. Hard to say what one would REALLY do in that situation once the adrenaline starts flowing. In my case, I reinforced all the entry doors years ago. It would take more than a few load minutes to actually get thru them and gain access into my home. My belief is prevention then protection. And should some POS actually get thru them, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson and I will have no problem showing them the error of their ways. At that point, I would have to test the ballistics of a .357 against against what ever fashion statement they were trying to make. Simple equation. Their soul might belong to Jesus (since they no doubt just stayed late at choir practice that particular night), but their a$$ is mine.

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I don't go past "would I have a chance?" in these hypotheticals. Anyone can be killed/beaten/get unlucky and acting otherwise is fantasy IMO. I once was training with one of the baddest dudes I've met and he related the story of one of the times he got shot in Iraq. To paraphrase "One minute I'm walking around a badass SEAL with my Interceptor on,and before I know it I'm screaming like a little girl with blood gushing out my armpit". A 7.62 round fired from over 400yds away had skipped off a rock and entered his chest from his armpit bypassing his armor.

I reinforce my doors, I carry pretty much constantly, I try to keep my head up and eyes open, but I am under no illusion I can't lose. Mitigating your risks and weaknesses can carry you far, but nothing is certain.

Violent confrontations are inherently chaotic, plans go to **** and defenses fail. Murphy rules. IMO understanding that is essential to having a fighting chance.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I don't go past "would I have a chance?" in these hypotheticals. Anyone can be killed/beaten/get unlucky and acting otherwise is fantasy IMO. I once was training with one of the baddest dudes I've met and he related the story of one of the times he got shot in Iraq. To paraphrase "One minute I'm walking around a badass SEAL with my Interceptor on,and before I know it I'm screaming like a little girl with blood gushing out my armpit". A 7.62 round fired from over 400yds away had skipped off a rock and entered his chest from his armpit bypassing his armor.

I reinforce my doors, I carry pretty much constantly, I try to keep my head up and eyes open, but I am under no illusion I can't lose. Mitigating your risks and weaknesses can carry you far, but nothing is certain.

Violent confrontations are inherently chaotic, plans go to **** and defenses fail. Murphy rules. IMO understanding that is essential to having a fighting chance.
    This! I carry at home, have reinforced doors/frames, and my “living”area is at the back of the house, not the front, so shotgun shells to the door would be met with force rather quickly. The big deal is reorientation of the OODA loop after the first blast, recognizing and reacting. My training schedule has been blown to hell this year because of work, but next year...

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    That'd be a tough one. Sudden, violent action is tough to beat. Buying time can tip things back in your favor.

Opening my doors with a shotgun won't be a terribly fast process. All the wood in my house is oak or red elm, that I swear, only gets harder with age. I have added 3-1/2" construction screws under the hinges and striker plates, plus longer screws into the solid oak door. The 1940s vintage hardware and oak door jamb is probably tough enough. But I thought about doing this...

Hardening a Door Frame

If you got through the door, you'd have a 110 pound snarling beast of dog, with his two little, antisocial Jack Russell buddies, gnawing on your extremities. That would buy some more time.

I had a run in many years ago at home that convinced me a big dog and carrying my 1911 around the house just made good sense. If my daughter was upstairs, or the wife was in the kitchen (yeah, right:rolleyes:) that 1911 is all I'd have at arms reach and would have to do, as I'd be between the attack and them. With no rugrats running around, I should maybe consider a long gun stashed somewhere closer. If the wife, daughter, and me were together in the living room, we'd just have to jump into our bedroom, where the gun safe lives, and any would be attacker's problems would increase dramatically.

Of course in the immortal words of Mike Tyson, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.:dunno:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Tenacity and aggression will go a long way to winning many fights...but you have to be mentally prepared to be that beast at every moments notice. I've got training and more than a bit of experience, but many folks can never get there.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy

Of course in the immortal words of Mike Tyson, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.:dunno:

I like this and, regardless of what we hope or say we'd do, most of us don't know how we'd actually react. My hope is that none of us ever have to find out.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For those who keep a gun "within arms' reach" rather than carry on your person at home, I hope you also keep it in the exact same spot and orientation with respect to you body all the time. Another benefit of a holster is that the gun is always in the same place and oriented the sa have ie way. When you practice enough, you won't have to spend much time thinking about how to grab it quickly and not have a negligent discharge.

For those who keep it within arms' reach, how often do you practice table top pickups? Or the equivalent for how you have it stashed? Do you even know how to pick up a loaded gun from a table top as quickly and efficiently as possible while also minimizing the risk of negligent disharge? Can you do it under stress? Have you tried it on a timer, or do you just assume that it's so simple and easy that you'll just be able to do it on demand?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    According to the account here - https://www.foxnews.com/us/jayme-cl...seeing-her-get-on-a-school-bus-complaint-says

Dog provided adequate warning (good).

Dad went to check it out unprepared (sounds like). Here's where the fail started.

Mom was totally ineffective. Should have been armed (ample opportunity for her) and confronted the guy when he came in thus limiting the murder to 1 and avoiding the kidnapping all together.

As is often the case, the police cannot respond fast enough. Jayme heard the sirens as her abductor drove away (with her in the trunk).

You are your own first responder.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    For those who keep a gun "within arms' reach" rather than carry on your person at home, I hope you also keep it in the exact same spot and orientation with respect to you body all the time. Another benefit of a holster is that the gun is always in the same place and oriented the sa have ie way. When you practice enough, you won't have to spend much time thinking about how to grab it quickly and not have a negligent discharge.

For those who keep it within arms' reach, how often do you practice table top pickups? Or the equivalent for how you have it stashed? Do you even know how to pick up a loaded gun from a table top as quickly and efficiently as possible while also minimizing the risk of negligent disharge? Can you do it under stress? Have you tried it on a timer, or do you just assume that it's so simple and easy that you'll just be able to do it on demand?
    Ive had FBI training on picking up a firearm from a flat surface. It involves a back flip.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That'd be a tough one. Sudden, violent action is tough to beat. Buying time can tip things back in your favor.

Opening my doors with a shotgun won't be a terribly fast process. All the wood in my house is oak or red elm, that I swear, only gets harder with age. I have added 3-1/2" construction screws under the hinges and striker plates, plus longer screws into the solid oak door. The 1940s vintage hardware and oak door jamb is probably tough enough. But I thought about doing this...

Hardening a Door Frame

If you got through the door, you'd have a 110 pound snarling beast of dog, with his two little, antisocial Jack Russell buddies, gnawing on your extremities. That would buy some more time.

I had a run in many years ago at home that convinced me a big dog and carrying my 1911 around the house just made good sense. If my daughter was upstairs, or the wife was in the kitchen (yeah, right:rolleyes:) that 1911 is all I'd have at arms reach and would have to do, as I'd be between the attack and them. With no rugrats running around, I should maybe consider a long gun stashed somewhere closer. If the wife, daughter, and me were together in the living room, we'd just have to jump into our bedroom, where the gun safe lives, and any would be attacker's problems would increase dramatically.

This is close to what I did with mine but I knocked a 90 in the metal and it ties into the frame of the house. The rear door and shop door are done with aluminum angle. I am sure that they could be breached with enough time/effort but no way you sleep through that.

Top Bottom