Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

User Info Menu

I see why this guy's actions were ill-advised, but I'm not among those who automatically condemn open carry of long guns in public any more than I am going to automatically condemn someone for carrying a handgun openly. There may exist different social constructs around the two actions, but on a fundamental level, they are the same in principle.

I'm glad no one got hurt.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamil View Post
    "Just to show I can" isn't a great reason to OC a loaded rifle in a Walmart. No one knew what his motives were. It shows enough disregard for rational behavior that it would be reasonable for people to think he was there to shoot people. If I see someone in a walmart OC'ing a Glock on his hip, going about his own business, shopping for stuff, behaving like any other normal person, body language, etcetera, I mean, I might think he's got really poor taste in firearms. But I'm not going to be all that suspicious to think I need to take action. But, especially given the events of the past few weeks, California, Texas, Ohio, some dude walks in with body armor, OC'ing a rifle, acting like he want's to be the center of attention, and yes. My spidy senses are gonna tingle.
    Oh I agree the guy was an idiot. I had to stop in Walmart to pick up some targets on the way to the range today. I normally OC, but given the events of the last few days I untucked my shirt and covered up. Now it was in Martinsville, so probably nobody would've cared, but I figured it would be better to be proactive. And as for body armor, it didn't look like armor in the pics I've seen. Just a "tactical vest". Which is still pretty gooberish to wear just to go shopping.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    Oh I agree the guy was an idiot. I had to stop in Walmart to pick up some targets on the way to the range today. I normally OC, but given the events of the last few days I untucked my shirt and covered up. Now it was in Martinsville, so probably nobody would've cared, but I figured it would be better to be proactive. And as for body armor, it didn't look like armor in the pics I've seen. Just a "tactical vest". Which is still pretty gooberish to wear just to go shopping.
    I had read somewhere that he wore body armor and was dressed in “tactical” clothing. But anyway, he wasn’t broadcasting a harmless intent. It’s pretty weird to do what he did.
    -spreading the word to end the r-word is retarded
    -activism is retarded because, what if you’re full of ****?

User Info Menu

Calling his actions ill advised is giving him the benefit of the doubt. Everything he did was probably legal but as others have said, just because it's legal doesn't make it the intelligent thing to do. Guy came in the range one day with body armor on. He was what most would picture a Navy Seal to look like but the body armor made him look like the goober he proved himself to be. He was training his girlfriend and struggled to keep shots in a 6" circle at 5 yards..
    Better to be thought a goober than to prove it by putting on your body armor and AR before heading to wally world for your weekly shopping. Even if there weren't a recent shooting at Wal Mart it's an exceeding stupid idea that unfortunately reflects poorly on all gun owners.

NRA Life Member / Basic Pistol instructor / RSO

"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard"
    Unnamed Navy Seal

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

Aron Bright
    Any man can make mistakes but only and idiot persists in his error.. Cicero 200 BC

User Info Menu

I see low ready as a fighting position, although I don't think it's low ready until you've got hands on the rifle. That said- If the guys hand so much as brushed that rifle, I could easily articulate what I did and why to the police and the judicial system.

If it was slung over his back, he'd just be an idiot but arguably (by a good defense lawyer) within his rights. Low ready has become so popular (and unless you are in a disaster zone [hurricane, earthquake, man-made such as 90s Los Angeles or 2014/15 MO] or hunting, it shouldn't be), and yet no one has tried to popularize carrying a handgun IN YOUR HAND as an acceptable method of carrying.

Not knowing what the firefighter saw, I think it's plausible he could justify it. It's also quite likely he couldn't but due to recent events and the other guy being an idiot, I doubt the FF gets any charges.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I was buying a couple ARs today. Messaging back and forth, I suggested we meet up a local Walmart parking lot. Then said maybe that wasn’t such a good idea.

Lowe’s was fine :/

Plinker

User Info Menu

I’m not a deep thinker like a lot of people on here but I believe it’s 50/50 this guy could have got shot. I also believe a jury of non ingo members would let guy who stopped the second Walmart shooting in as many days walk. I think I would have..

Grandmaster DeadeyeChrista'sdad's Avatar

User Info Menu

Just wondering what his user name is....
    I hear They call him Flipper. Yes... yes, I'm serious.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Yep, he was lucky. I could easily some guy seeing him and thinking, bad guy, cap his ass.
    If someone engaged him, right at the moment he was walking into Walmart, and killed him, how likely would it be that the shooter would face charges? I'm betting slim to none.
    I Have the Worst Crew Ever

Expert

User Info Menu

The crazy thing is, in this situation, you have to either support the Fireman, or the Moron... It's a catch 22 for many of us.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast