Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tcause17 View Post
    It's always great to have more. But if you get into a situation where you need more than 5-8 rounds you're already pretty screwed and much more ammo probably won't make a difference.
    Maybe. Maybe not. Either way, I'd like to have more ammo so I could find out.
    Medium speed. Moderate drag.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KJW View Post
    "The most important decisions in life are often a matter of probability." Pierre-Simon Laplace (mathematician).

Individuals differ in terms of what level of uncertainty they are comfortable living with. As others have said, the fact is that you are very, very unlikely to ever have to shoot your gun in self defense. And among that tiny fraction of people who do have to shoot their gun in self defense a tiny fraction will need more than a few rounds. The probability that YOU will have to BOTH shoot your gun in self defense AND need more than a few rounds is the product of the individual probabilities. Just picking random probabilities to illustrate this point, let's say there's a 1 in 10,000 chance that you will have to shoot your gun in self defense and that among those who have to shoot their gun in self defense 3% need more than a few rounds. That means there's a 0.000003 percent chance that you'll need to shoot your gun in a defensive shooting and need more than a few rounds. (0.0001 x 0.03= 0.000003). A similar probability could be calculated for the likelihood of a magazine induced malfunction occurring. Again, I just made up those probabilities, but the point would still remain even if you made the probabilities much higher, the product is a FREAKING SMALL number.

Those of you who espouse high capacity and multiple magazines are seriously risk averse, which is fine, but I just hope you all have life insurance, because that probability is 100%.

Its NOT because of the odds that I carry, its because of what is at Stake,
    NRA lifetime; USCCA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    Why would you assume this?

All it would take is to be corned in a convenient or drug store with a couple nothing to lose thug robbers carrying normal capacity modern polymer guns.
    Or someone who is intent on harming you that refuses to extend the courtesy of stopping after being shot half a dozen times and continues to harm you before they eventually minutes later.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

I carried a full-size 1911 and two spare mags for 15 years. I carried a J frame in my pocket with two spares speedloaders for 10 years. I now carry a Ruger subcompact pocket carry 9 + 1 with two spare mags.
    I've never needed them.
    You can make excuses or you can make ready.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BillD View Post
    I carried a full-size 1911 and two spare mags for 15 years. I carried a J frame in my pocket with two spares speedloaders for 10 years. I now carry a Ruger subcompact pocket carry 9 + 1 with two spare mags.
    I've never needed them.
    YET...

1. Pray you never do.
    2. Pray you have them if you do.
    You know what I like best about most people? Their dogs.

User Info Menu

What does everyone perceive the costs of extra ammo to be? If Iím carrying a spare mag in a good carrier on a good belt, the cost to me is convenience and issues when driving. I drive a little car with bucket seats and that spare mag makes driving uncomfortable. If I go with larger mags or 2 mags, then itís paid for in back pain at the end of the day. This is with quality gun belts and good quality spare mag carriers.

For those of us that donít religiously carry a spare, what if the reason? For those that do, is there any cost to spare mag carry that you are fine with accepting?
    Ď88 (aka Ď88, the mad scientist)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 88E30M50 View Post
    What does everyone perceive the costs of extra ammo to be? If Iím carrying a spare mag in a good carrier on a good belt, the cost to me is convenience and issues when driving. I drive a little car with bucket seats and that spare mag makes driving uncomfortable. If I go with larger mags or 2 mags, then itís paid for in back pain at the end of the day. This is with quality gun belts and good quality spare mag carriers.

For those of us that donít religiously carry a spare, what if the reason? For those that do, is there any cost to spare mag carry that you are fine with accepting?

I run a ~25$ safariland horizontal mag wrap that looks like a cell phone, sits with belt line below and top and is ultimate comfort. Itís velcro so easy on and off I run a full size spare so... for me there more of a cost to not have it. Mainly it offsets (alittle) of the gun weight.
    http://s6.postimg.org/q3wk2jfe9/Sulu_Shields.jpg

01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01100100 01101111 01101101 00100000 01000110 01101001 01110010 01110011 01110100 00101100 00100000 01000011 01101111 01101110 01100100 01100101 01101101 01101110 00100000 01000011 01101111 01101110 01100110 01101111 01110010 01101101 01101001 01110100 01111001

User Info Menu

I chose the gear, then adapted how to carry it, in that order. It's unlikely that anyone else on INGO (including police officers with duty gear) outside of the military carries more weight in gear than I do. I have reasons for all of it and the weight and comfort issues are far less important to me than having what I choose to have with me all the time.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Don't know if it will help you, my friend, but a single spare in a carrier is often way more difficult than a double carrier for me. Single often gets hooked or banged on stuff, when the double doesn't. The double feels as if the wider more rigid platform pulls the mags into you. Double covers easier also, without a bulge.

The single mag carrier I use (in the boat or hiking the bank) is a Multi Holsters clip on. I've used it for years without a failure other than the double is always better, except when swimming. The belt clip might work to go on and off in and out of the car?

I've always carried the gun IWB @ 3:00, 2 mags @ 9:00 OWB balances the load. My little car with buckets, the same as the Explorer with buckets treats my back back well with this setup.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ashby koss View Post
    I run a ~25$ safariland horizontal mag wrap that looks like a cell phone, sits with belt line below and top and is ultimate comfort. Itís velcro so easy on and off I run a full size spare so... for me there more of a cost to not have it. Mainly it offsets (alittle) of the gun weight.
    I need to give that a shot. One of the things that makes double spare mags uncomfortable is that when I sit, they put sideway pressure on my back and after a full day, I feel it for the rest of the night. Horizontal would eliminate that part.
    Ď88 (aka Ď88, the mad scientist)

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast