• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My first reaction to the Walmart shooting was that I needed to start carrying more ammo. Then, as I thought it through, I realized that if I chose to go head to head with a guy with an AK/AR using a pistol, the matter would be decided in 3 rounds, if that. Either I made my shot or died trying.

I truly believe we give these **** bags far more credit than they are deserving as to actual ability's beyond spraying into a crowd of defenseless woman and kids. Given any tactical advantage even as small as returning fire throws them off the intended game they are playing. JMHO.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    What fits me and what I shoot well dictates what I carry (Glock 19C) more than the caliber or number of rounds. It's normal for me to have a spare mag, not because I think I'll need more than 15 rounds but because mags are the heart of your pistol. Every malfunction I've had while competing has been mag or ammo related so in my mind a spare mag equals increased reliability.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]
    As usual you said it exactly right, also in your other comment in this thread. I completely agree with both.

Ill admit that in the last year or two I have been carrying smaller sized pistols (glock43, shield, bodyguard, g26) simply because of the way they dont cause me as much discomfort on my back or hips due to the lower weight, and also ability to ankle carry.
    Ive sacrificed capacity though and keep a spare mag mostly for the reason cited by NHT3. Malfunctions happen and you need to vet back in the fight fast.

I do sometimes carry 2 pistols though. Also I regularly dryfire at home and practice drawing my pistols from where I carry them. I need to get back to the range more. Ive had a busy year so far more than a normal year so things will get back on track soon.
    But ive shot all of the guns I carry a minimum of 250 rounds (much more usually) before they become a carry gun. No way will i buy one off the shelf and carry it and trust my life to it without proving it works.
    Also a gunfight isnt the time to figure out you dont know how to draw your pistol from your cool ankle holster. You had bettter figure that stuff out beforehand.

So, as it relates to the thread, im willing to compromise on capacity if other factors are met. This is a huge step for me to admit that lol.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I would like to train more but matches and time available limit what I can do. Do you guys listing 3 or 4 guns train with all of them on a regular basis? Anyone that can transition between a single/double action pistol, revolver and a striker fired pistol while getting A zone hits must be training more than I am and I'm jealous.
    [FONT=&amp][/FONT]

You and I both know the real answer to this.

IMO: The more you switch things up, the more prone you'll be to "vapor lock" if there's ever a literal split second when you'll need your firearm.

As far as my thoughts on capacity: I carry what I can most comfortably carry for what it is that I'm doing. For now, most of the time that's 8+1 and another 8 on my belt. That'll soon be 10+1 plus another 10 on my belt. "Soon", though, I'll be working on carrying a full-sized gun more often (now that I have more room in my britches)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    As is with me, I'm an outlier in most things and it probably carries over into this subject. For me, I look at the entire package: how I take care of my physical body for instance. Statistics say I will die by some health related issue than from a bullet. So if I'm not taking care of my health, eating good, maintaining my weight, engaging in rigorous exercise multiple times per week, then I am disregarding that which will most likely kill me.

Next up for me is being safe in what I do. Wearing my seatbelt, wearing protective eyewear when I work with power tools or head out into our plants. Keeping the safeguards on tools, etc. functional.

Locking my home at most times, keeping a low profile and not flaunting what I own or not own.

I was carrying a Shield with an 8 round mag until just recently. Now I am switching to a M&P 2.0 Compact. I shoot it better than the Shield and I am now practicing and training with the gun I carry. With my Shield, I shot a mag or two each range trip but never used it for training classes and would not use it if I was to shoot any competitions.

Whether I have 8 rounds or 15 (or 5 for that matter) if I don't get it done, well then, game over for me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have had to remind myself from time to time that if I find myself in a shooting situation, then I am already on the outside of the ‘what to expect’ odds for that day. If I’m already that far out of the norm, who’s to say that it won’t go even more sideways at the situation progresses.

Good thinking!

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I carry a Colt Officer's ACP with two mags on the belt. Mag capacity 6 per mag. Hi capacity is OK if that is your thing. I desire less bulk, and larger caliber. I carry the spare mags not for the ammunition capacity, but should I have a magazine failure of some sort I have a couple of replacements.

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Someone asked about revolvers, I live in the country and carry a Ruger SP101 with five rounds of .38 SP CCI shot shells for varmint protection (non-two legged kind) when working in the yard/woods. I do carry two speed strips in a pocket loaded with .357 Mag Hornady Critical Defense rounds.

If I need to go to town for something, I stop in the garage, dump the shot shells out and reload with five more .357 Mag Hornady CD rounds.

Most other times I am carrying a Shield .40 (7+1) with a spare 7-round mag.

Either way I have fifteen rounds total on me. I guess my logic is, if I can't solve a problem with 15 rounds, I'm probably screwed anyway.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    My first reaction to the Walmart shooting was that I needed to start carrying more ammo. Then, as I thought it through, I realized that if I chose to go head to head with a guy with an AK/AR using a pistol, the matter would be decided in 3 rounds, if that. Either I made my shot or died trying.
    I don’t buy that. He was a coward punk kid who most likely had minimal training. Perhaps the average CCWer would be outgunned, but I think those who train seriously and regularly would stand a very good chance against him.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Anymore, I consider 12 rounds to be the bare minimum, and 15 rounds to be the happy place. From my experience, 15 round 9mm firearms usually have a reasonable grip length and dimension, while higher capacity starts getting awkward.

If you want to know how much capacity you need, start running plate racks as fast as possible and don't count rounds, you'll find in short order that 10 or less is gone in the blink of an eye.

Even at 15 rounds, it'd be a smart idea to carry a spare magazine. Trying to guess how much you want to handicap yourself when you're already the one at a disadvantage seems like a rather poor idea. In this state, it doesn't matter if you print a little, and the only people who are going to notice that aren't going to be people you need to be concerned about.

I also find that it's more comfortable to carry a full sized gun in a nice holster than it is trying to wear a maximum concealment holster with a sub-compact. The downside is if the wind blows, or you twist, it will print. But how big of a deal is that, really? People who don't know guns aren't going to assume anything about it.

Last edited:

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I've always thought at least 1 extra mag. By the time you adrenaline dump the first one and load the second, HOPEFULLY you'll slow down and use the second more wisely. I've said this for years rather jokingly but always wonder if there is any truth to it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don’t buy that. He was a coward punk kid who most likely had minimal training. Perhaps the average CCWer would be outgunned, but I think those who train seriously and regularly would stand a very good chance against him.

I hope that I f that were true, I’d hope that I’d be able to put him down with 11 rounds of .45. A punk kid would vaporize with the mighty .45 and a single hit to his pinky.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Anymore, I consider 12 rounds to be the bare minimum, and 15 rounds to be the happy place. From my experience, 15 round 9mm firearms usually have a reasonable grip length and dimension, while higher capacity starts getting awkward.

If you want to know how much capacity you need, start running plate racks as fast as possible and don't count rounds, you'll find in short order that 10 or less is gone in the blink of an eye.

Even at 15 rounds, it'd be a smart idea to carry a spare magazine. Trying to guess how much you want to handicap yourself when you're already the one at a disadvantage seems like a rather poor idea. In this state, it doesn't matter if you print a little, and the only people who are going to notice that aren't going to be people you need to be concerned about.

I also find that it's more comfortable to carry a full sized gun in a nice holster than it is trying to wear a maximum concealment holster with a sub-compact. The downside is if the wind blows, or you twist, it will print. But how big of a deal is that, really? People who don't know guns aren't going to assume anything about it.

I like the plate rack idea. I have been up against a plate rack that somehow managed to avoid most of an 18 round mag and it was not even shooting back at me at the time.

A plate rack and timer does tend to highlight just how good a shot you are much more so than a paper silhouette does.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I haven't been in any gunfights in my whole life. I don't know anyone who has.

Guess that means I don't have to worry about round count at all. Or even a gun for that matter...

:dunno:

;)

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Back to the topic.

Looking at the stats, the likely hood of ever needing to pull your pistol in self defense is pretty slim. Going one step further, most people who do pull it out don't fire a shot. If they do shoot, the fight is over in less than 4 (don't remember BBI's number) shots.

So the chance of needing 10, 11, 12 etc is pretty dang slim. Does it happen? Yes it does. But people get hit by lightning too.

I'm NOT saying a person can't/shouldn't carry X number of rounds. They absolutely should. Heck, one of my EDC pistols is 19+1 XDm. Plus an extra mag. Plus a 6 shot Rosco in my pocket.

Carry what you want. Know how to use what you have. Hopefully you never need it.

If it happens to you the stats are meaningless. Years ago I carried a 44 spl revolver and thought 5 rounds were plenty. One day I was playing "what if" waiting for my daughter and 3 guys walked by my truck and that changed my mind. Now to the meaningless stats, one shot rarely kills a person, drug use is heavy, and people are crazy. My conclusion is 5 rounds is not enough unless you like living on the edge. I still have the 44 spl but my edc is a Glock 23 and extra mag or Glock 30 with hyve extensions and extra mag.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I carry a M&P Shield IWB.
    I load the mag 2/3.
    The more you compress the mag spring.
    The faster it goes bad, it weakens.
    I carry one spare loaded the same.
    If I ever get in a fire fight and can not take the person down in two to 3 shots.
    They will be on top of me.
    So having so many rounds in the mag is over load.
    Now if I am up against more than two people.
    I am not Jerry Miculek.
    I do not think I can take them all down.
    I am sure one of more will be shooting at me.
    So having so many mags or rounds in the mag is a bit over load.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I carry a M&P Shield IWB.
    I load the mag 2/3.
    The more you compress the mag spring.
    The faster it goes bad, it weakens.
    I carry one spare loaded the same.
    If I ever get in a fire fight and can not take the person down in two to 3 shots.
    They will be on top of me.
    So having so many rounds in the mag is over load.
    Now if I am up against more than two people.
    I am not Jerry Miculek.
    I do not think I can take them all down.
    I am sure one of more will be shooting at me.
    So having so many mags or rounds in the mag is a bit over load.

That’s not how springs work. The more they are compressed and released repeatedly the faster they wear out. A mag fully loaded that just sits there will not wear out any faster than a mag that’s 2/3 loaded and just sits there.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I have read that the internet experts have a Rule of 3 (most shootings involve 3 shots at 3 yards in 3 seconds). So you only need to carry three rounds. I have no idea where that comes from but have seen it referenced many times.

Even though that's seems unlikely, there is probably a lot of truth in that statement on average.
    At this time, I only carry the 26 with a two round extension mag and no spares on me. I do keep two spare mags in my car though.

Top Bottom