• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    My thoughts have always been better to have to much than not enough.
    Generally speaking i have 2 spare mags with me so depending on firearm im carrying, I have anywhere from 25 to 61 rounds

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Not many wanna hear this but skill set over capacity.

My carry guns are (in no order depending on where I am planning to go) SAA In 45Colt, 1911 45ACP, 4” Model 29 with 44 Specials, 6 inch Model 57. 4 inch Model 65 with +P.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Dependent on where we are going yes, it varies. Sometimes just this little S&W 645-1 +P rated. Deep conceal. Close quarters.

After discussions in the 50 yard off hand thread my thinking has changed.

Come on now.... It's easy. You just need practice.

[video=youtube_share;Tied-t1fFsk]http://youtu.be/Tied-t1fFsk[/video]

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    -Snip-
    What drives your choice in carry capacity and spares?

With me it's where I'm going, how I'm dressed and how important it is to be concealed.

For example, in a little while, I'll be going to the Meijer at Whitestown after midnight to get groceries.
    I'm just wearing gym shorts and a t-short, so I'll be carrying a Sig P365 with 12 round magazine in my right pocket.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Back to the topic.

Looking at the stats, the likely hood of ever needing to pull your pistol in self defense is pretty slim. Going one step further, most people who do pull it out don't fire a shot. If they do shoot, the fight is over in less than 4 (don't remember BBI's number) shots.

So the chance of needing 10, 11, 12 etc is pretty dang slim. Does it happen? Yes it does. But people get hit by lightning too.

I'm NOT saying a person can't/shouldn't carry X number of rounds. They absolutely should. Heck, one of my EDC pistols is 19+1 XDm. Plus an extra mag. Plus a 6 shot Rosco in my pocket.

Carry what you want. Know how to use what you have. Hopefully you never need it.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    In self defense against a bad guy, you won't need but a few rounds.

In defense against a terror attack / mass shooting, you could need many more.

However, the chance of being involved in either are slim, so I base my carry gun on other criteria. How it fits my hand. I can't stand a small gun. I need a full size grip, so I always end up with my 1911 or Glock 17. Either 8 +1, or 17 + 1 will do to start, and either way, I'm gonna have an extra mag or two. Not just for the ammo, but for the mag itself as well.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Sorry for the longer post, but I consider the full weapon system, not just ammo capacity. It all MUST work together. This is not a caliber debate. (After re reading, this wanders to some side weeds on ammo capacity ....sorry)

General assumptions:
    -violent criminals are teaming up for their safety.
    -9mm top shelf can be as good as 40&45
    -45&40 are just as good as top shelf 9mm
    -top shelf 40&45 still wins 1 shot vs 1 shot
    -9mm & 45 are easiest to shoot
    -45acp = 2-3 perp gun, 9mm = 3-4 perp gun.

Ammo capacity FOR YOU is an amalgam of your mental comfort level/awareness/training/edc comfort/caliber/situation(environmental or mental) & ammo available (if you only have 6 - 9mm hollow points, don’t carry a half loaded Glock 19 - unless there’s other factors for shoot ability or platform, etc. ie- situational)

I use the spare mag + leatherman to off set the weight of the firearm. It’s a more balanced system, in addition to the “spare tire” field malfunction insurance etc...That being said, 7/8+1 (45acp)or 15/17 +1 (9mm) all depends on what you shoot best and your situation. All capacities can generally be dressed around. I only use sub compact capacities if absolute deep concealment is needed. That being said a deep conceal Glock 27/26 or (23/19) is edc easy, shield 9mm even more so. Glock 42, (where’d it go?)

Concealment has a lot to do with capacity since it’s linked to grip size or thickness.

-Full size* for owb for occasions I can and speed may be higher priority (work or safety area**)

-Full size* Owb with over garment for “light concealment” for questionable settings and raised eyebrows. (Making a run into mall or dr)

-Iwb for heavy concealment.

* only the iwb would be considerable grip reduction below the standard. Carry grip full size or “compact” grips /capacities are considered within “minimal change” +/- 0.50 inches is not less.

** my “safety areas” vary and are personally set. Rather like coopers levels for awareness. (Coincidently not spoken enough about here)

my god ive thought too much about my system (or perhaps not enough........)

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I'm bouncing between my p320 compact in 40sw which gets me 13+1. And my p228 which gives me 15+1. Spare mags are always in the center console but never actually carry one on me. I think 14 or 16 rounds is more than plenty, but id rather have more than not enough.

I am considering grabbing myself a shield or khar for a better carrying gun. I feel 8 rounds is enough if you practice enough. I would probably carry a spare mag on me at that point in time though. I would probably also keep a service pistol in quick reach in my car if I went this route.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I carry a full size gun with an 18 round mag and a reload. I do it mostly because I can. If/when the day comes I can’t physically handle that I’ll reconsider what’s important.

However, the capacity for me is an added benefit but not the main reason of using a full size gun. I like that I’m able to make more difficult shots and overall am more confident with a full size pistol.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Does anyone vary what is carried based on where they are going? As I had said up thread, if I’m hanging around the house, mowing or walking over to my mother’s house, I’m happy with the G30 and no spare. If I’m heading into the city, I’ll take a spare mag with me. If I’m heading into the city after hours, I might swap the G30 out for a P10C with a second mag.

I can’t really say why though, as if 21 rounds of .45 wouldn’t get me out of trouble, 35 rounds of 9mm is not probably going to make a difference in the outcome.

Like I said though, not really debating capacity choices but just wondering what everyone’s choices are and why if there’s a reason.

I never change based on where I am going. The only time I change gear is when I have to dress a specific way for a reason (which I can't avoid). In those cases, it's a matter of less gear more than different gear.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    No one can accurately predict how many rounds they will need to stop a threat, regardless of caliber or shot placement (unless the medulla oblongata is destroyed).

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I would like to train more but matches and time available limit what I can do. Do you guys listing 3 or 4 guns train with all of them on a regular basis? Anyone that can transition between a single/double action pistol, revolver and a striker fired pistol while getting A zone hits must be training more than I am and I'm jealous.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I do shoot what I carry regularly. If I have not shot it recently, I don’t carry it. I tend to shoot a lot though and 2-3 range trips per week is not uncommon. Last year I hit the 14K mark even though I was down for shoulder surgery for a couple of months. By the end of July, I had topped the 10K mark this year.

The idea of offsetting weight with spare mags is something I’ve tried a bunch but I tend to end the day with a sore back. The belt I like most is a Kramer carry belt but I think that I tend to tighten it too much when carrying a heavier load. I need to replace my Comp-Tac belt for those times as that is a stiffer belt that bears the additional load better. My current Comp-Tac is both too large and has worn and become floppier than I like.

Do any revolver carriers carry a spare speed loader or two? If so, do you carry them in a pouch or pocket? Also, do you do the HKS twist release or Safariland push release type?

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    My minimum is a Glock-27 with a spare magazine.
    But I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it when it comes to my choice(s).

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Back to the topic.

Looking at the stats, the likely hood of ever needing to pull your pistol in self defense is pretty slim. Going one step further, most people who do pull it out don't fire a shot. If they do shoot, the fight is over in less than 4 (don't remember BBI's number) shots.

So the chance of needing 10, 11, 12 etc is pretty dang slim. Does it happen? Yes it does. But people get hit by lightning too.

I'm NOT saying a person can't/shouldn't carry X number of rounds. They absolutely should. Heck, one of my EDC pistols is 19+1 XDm. Plus an extra mag. Plus a 6 shot Rosco in my pocket.

Carry what you want. Know how to use what you have. Hopefully you never need it.

However, the chance of being involved in either are slim, so I base my carry gun on other criteria. How it fits my hand. I can't stand a small gun. I need a full size grip, so I always end up with my 1911 or Glock 17. Either 8 +1, or 17 + 1 will do to start, and either way, I'm gonna have an extra mag or two. Not just for the ammo, but for the mag itself as well.

Both are well said. Size of gun that's comfortable and amount of ammo that's comforting. I'll add backed up with training.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would like to train more but matches and time available limit what I can do. Do you guys listing 3 or 4 guns train with all of them on a regular basis? Anyone that can transition between a single/double action pistol, revolver and a striker fired pistol while getting A zone hits must be training more than I am and I'm jealous.

[FONT=&]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&] / RSO[/FONT][FONT="]

[/FONT][COLOR=darkorange][FONT=&]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][/COLOR][FONT="]
    [/FONT][FONT=&]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT="]

[/FONT][COLOR=firebrick][FONT="]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][/COLOR][FONT="]
    [/FONT][/COLOR][FONT="]
    [/FONT][FONT=&]Aron Bright[/FONT]

The only piece I have that is not a very close match to the set is the S&W snubby. I will admit it is not something I shoot much if any. There are a couple more wheel guns but not for EDC purposes.
    I stick to either my much loved 1911's or CZ's.
    Every 1911 that can or does see carry has as close to identical trigger actions as humanly possible. The target/range pieces are much lighter.
    The CZ's are the same way. Tuned to feel as close to the same as possible. Knowing they are not identical in how they may run does require time at the line with them and as my time has been limited there are only 2 that see carry. 1 of each.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

My first reaction to the Walmart shooting was that I needed to start carrying more ammo. Then, as I thought it through, I realized that if I chose to go head to head with a guy with an AK/AR using a pistol, the matter would be decided in 3 rounds, if that. Either I made my shot or died trying.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    No one can accurately predict how many rounds they will need to stop a threat, regardless of caliber or shot placement (unless the medulla oblongata is destroyed).

I have had to remind myself from time to time that if I find myself in a shooting situation, then I am already on the outside of the ‘what to expect’ odds for that day. If I’m already that far out of the norm, who’s to say that it won’t go even more sideways at the situation progresses.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom