Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

Springfield M1 Garand

Found this has has a new match grade barrel installed. $1500

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

Did ya buy it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricnzak View Post
    Did ya buy it?
    Thinking about it. Is that a good deal for one in that condition?
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

CMP is selling Special Grade Rifles with new Criterian(match) barrels for around $1,050 now if I recall. Turn around is pretty quick now too.
    M1 Garand - Civilian Marksmanship Program
    "Excuse me while I whip this out."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hammer24 View Post
    CMP is selling Special Grade Rifles with new Criterian(match) barrels for around $1,050 now if I recall. Turn around is pretty quick now too.
    M1 Garand - Civilian Marksmanship Program
    Okay thanks I'll check into that.

User Info Menu

I'm certainly no expert but what I do know is...it depends (on whether it's worth it). Are the numbers correct? If they are, I do know that will be a factor.
    INGOer #18,319

User Info Menu

Not nearly enough pics or info to give an educated opinion. But I'm going to say you're holding a tribute rifle built by Springfield Armory some years ago and not an original production rifle from WW II. Those were pricey at the time for a reproduction. The serial number and name stamped on the receiver will tell what it is.

If I.am correct, you can find nice originals for much less, if that's what you are looking for. If you want a "new" example of the Garand then I would say it's a little high in price.
    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Plinker

User Info Menu

Most likely this is overpriced. Go to the CMP to buy a rifle or watch the CMP forums in the classified section if you really want a Garand.

Condition, manufacturer, serial number range, correctness, and cartouches present (or not) are some of the major factors that go into assigning a value for a Garand.

Expert

User Info Menu

I recently bought one from JJM off our classified. It is a post war Springfield, correct grade, just as it was sent from the factory for that price. There is no evidence to think the mechanics have ever been disassembled.

Once the M1's have "improvements" the value drops, considerably.

The prices you see on the internet and at gun shows will numb your senses over time and you will stand there with dribble on your chin and a handful of cash mumbling, "I must have...I must have..."

This is one end of the market where it really pays to have friends, someone on the inside.

JJM bought this one from CMP in 2005 and had the foresight to leave it "as is" and passed it on to me for a modest profit but less than half what the current bids are when (and if) some come available.

If you want a shooter, one can be had for much less than $1500. If your time is worth more to you than what it will take to find one, or you just really have to "scratch that itch", then grab it. They are making money everyday but they aren't making any more M1's...
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Hell, for that price, you can practically build your own at the CMP ... Advanced Maintenance Class - Civilian Marksmanship Program

I know several people who have attended this course and the rifle they built is without a doubt better than anything you can find in a LGS.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast