• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    It'd be nice if they showed a picture example of "heavy pitting above the wood line". Of course, then I might be tempted to buy another one!:rockwoot:

Looked over these in the CMP Stores and seen pictures on the forum, I've seen both 'ugly, ugly parked over pitting' and I've seen 'can't find a speck of pitting'. I wouldn't shy away from these field and rack specials; but, I would certainly make the drive to the North Store or the South Store and hand pick one.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Okay guys I just talked to the man that owns this rifle he said it's a Springfield Armory M1 Garand National Match rifle. It looks to be in very good to excellent condition. Is $1500 a good deal on this rifle?

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    If it is in 'as developed' condition then it is.

Some people buy the NM sights and put them on a Garand and call it NM.

It should have ALL NM parts, sights, barrel, op rod, trigger and there should be evidence of glass work where the receiver rests on the stock.

Ask what the barrel gauges also...

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Sounds like someone is hoping for a quick sale, and may be taking advantage of your ignorance on Garands.
    Take a pic of the receiver heel (serial number and other markings are on it) and do a serial number search.
    Pull the op rod back and lock it open, then look at the markings on the barrel, that were hidden by the op rod.
    Should be a maker's mark and date. SA= Springfield Armory W=Winchester HR or IHC=International Harvester.
    For that price tag, it should very little muzzle wear or throat erosion, there really is a lot to know about them to make an educated buy.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Sounds like someone is hoping for a quick sale, and may be taking advantage of your ignorance on Garands.
    Take a pic of the receiver heel (serial number and other markings are on it) and do a serial number search.
    Pull the op rod back and lock it open, then look at the markings on the barrel, that were hidden by the op rod.
    Should be a maker's mark and date. SA= Springfield Armory W=Winchester HR or IHC=International Harvester.
    For that price tag, it should very little muzzle wear or throat erosion, there really is a lot to know about them to make an educated buy.

The more information the better. I'll check on this as well.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    They use to say 'ALL NM ARE SA', but now some Winchester NM have come to light with paperwork. But it wouldn't be a W barrel on a SA receiver.

Scott Duff has an excellent resource book that is small and easy to carry, the small price for one of those could save a lot of heartache...

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I did re-read the first post, which states it has a new barrel.
    So I would imagine muzzle wear and throat erosion are not an issue.
    I used to have the big red covered book by Scott Duff. He is the man when it comes to M1's.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    To try and authenticate a NM is difficult at best. There were only 43,681 produced and all were used but cared for. These were not collected at first just put to use as they were made to do and do well.

Many were offered for purchase to the original shooter and if not bought were sent back through the SA for a tune up before the next shooter. Several of the shooters personalized their rifle to their own desires.

They were made from 1953 to 1964. The very first ones had a 'SA JLG' cartouche but all the others had the DoD eagle on the stock. NM will be on the top or left of the barrel and will be inscribed, not stamped.

If made after 1959 it will have NM marked sights and gas cylinder.

In 1960 glass bedding around receiver and trigger housing was introduced.

In 1962 hooded rear sight apertures were introduced.

In 1963 special NM barrels marked 'SA F7791035' were introduced along with NM op rods part number '7790722-RA' or '7790722-SA' were introduced.

So, when any un-purchased rifles came back to the arsenal any one or all these upgrades 'could' have been made.

Regular arsenal rebuild rifles that were not NM also had some of these parts installed during the rebuild process after 1964. Then to make thing more confusing, thousands of unused parts were released through the DCM (what is now the CMP) and this is the recipe for one of the easiest faked most highly sought after rifles there could be.

I know just enough to get into trouble, so I would highly recommend the rifle be looked at by someone who knows OR in the best case they have DCM or CMP documentation.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    From the picture, this sure does look like a Garand made by Springfield Armory... you know the same guys that make M1A's and 45's... They were offering newly made garands back when I bought my first match M1A rifle. The serial number should tell if it's one of these or not.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    That's true.. I can't tell by the picture what exactly it says.
    I also had a original rifle rebarreled and refinished by them about the same time. I think it was a blue sky import with a worse than bad barrel.. At the time there were not very many people working on them, it was just easier and cheaper to buy another rifle.

NICKT93

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    MORGAN CO
    Haven't shot a M! Garand since I was a kid, have been pondering the thought of driving to the CMP to pick one up. Good buy if you did it

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Got an email today, both locations are closed to the public. Shooting events are canceled or postponed
    Edit to add- i deleted it or I wold give you the low down

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Got an email today, both locations are closed to the public. Shooting events are canceled or postponed
    Edit to add- i deleted it or I wold give you the low down

CMP ANNOUNCES CANCELLATION OF ALL ACTIVITIES UNTIL MAY 4

ANNISTON, AL/CAMP PERRY, OH - The Civilian Marksmanship Program has announced the cancellation of ALL activities at its Alabama and Ohio armories, offices, stores, worksites, marksmanship centers and the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park until Monday, May 4, 2020, due to the COVID-19 virus pandemic.

These cancellations reflect protocol set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and state governors.

nagkalimot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2020
    Martinsville
    They did have completely refinished rifles for $1050, I have a stack of paperwork for a new gun (or two) and an old gun I need repaired by the CMP, so I hope they open soon, though I truly don't wish anyone to work in risk of getting covid.

tribeofham

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Fishers
    They did have completely refinished rifles for $1050, I have a stack of paperwork for a new gun (or two) and an old gun I need repaired by the CMP, so I hope they open soon, though I truly don't wish anyone to work in risk of getting covid.

I have a service grade special and I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase. I've heard recent field grades come with a hackberry stock, which is unfortunate. I wonder if you can mail in your paperwork now to get in line for when this COVID-19 thing settles down? This way you'll be ahead of others who waited.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My boy finally got this rifle. It's serial number was 742,000 area we looked up and found it was made August 1942 springfield armory.

Now how do you find out where it's been/deployed/issued to? My son ask me I don't know how to search for that. Is there a website or someone you contact about it?

Top Bottom