• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gaterboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2019
    Bloomfield
    I have been doing business with CMP for years and have never been disappointed. That said it is hard to determine the value of what you found without additional info.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    When I get back down that way I'll see if I cant get the serial number.

Is there a CMP in Indiana that sales them? I'm in southeastern Indiana.

Last edited:

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Joker has a M1 with the most beautiful stock ever!

One of the first two M1s that I hand picked on my first visit to the CMP South Store in 2011 was a HRA in the 5.6m range with a LMR barrel with MW=1/TE=1 that is original to the receiver. Sadly the near perfect rifle was sporting one of those orange sprayed, CMP birch stock sets that were common at that time. The SG HRA on top of the FG WIN-13 I also bought that day:

dqoKGhU.jpg

Several years after the purchase, I had Dean's Gun Restorations make a stock for it. It turned out gorgeous. These pictures don't really do it justice.

31cHIgh.jpg

47H4u8Q.jpg

Dean's motto: "Life is too short to shoot an ugly gun!" The fit and attention to detail are outstanding.

Last edited:

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    Wow joker that is a keeper. Going to have to take a road trip to Ohio.

If you do go in person to pick out your rifle you also get to pay OH sales tax. I consider it a finders fee. I've been very pleased with the luck of the draw on mail order though. No longer do they let you pick it out and mail it back to your house unless you've got some kind of detailed travel itinerary that shows you can't have it, they box it up for you and you get to go home with it. I was unaware of that rule change and had to bring mine back field stripped so it could fit in a Mazda Miata with a passenger. Not a comfortable drive back.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you do go in person to pick out your rifle you also get to pay OH sales tax. I consider it a finders fee. I've been very pleased with the luck of the draw on mail order though. No longer do they let you pick it out and mail it back to your house unless you've got some kind of detailed travel itinerary that shows you can't have it, they box it up for you and you get to go home with it. I was unaware of that rule change and had to bring mine back field stripped so it could fit in a Mazda Miata with a passenger. Not a comfortable drive back.

I’ve never purchased a rifle from either of their locations. So, you can walk in, pick a rifle, pay for it (including sales tax for Ohio), and drive home with it that day back to Indiana?

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    You sure can take it home that day. You can also pay sales tax and shipping if you don't want to drive it back. Make sure you meet all the qualifications to be a purchaser and if you're not in the system, bring proof of everything. I think for us IN's it's a passport and pink card and you're good. If you're without a passport you have to prove citizenship somehow. Doesn't take any longer to buy it there than at a gun store here. And get accessories there too. Bayonet, ammo, slings, etc.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    It's been awhile but I think a birth certificate works.
    Go to their web page and download the instructions and forms.
    You can fill them out before you go, makes it a little faster. Or you can mail them in with payment and they'll ship it to your door

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    CMP has been good to me for all 4 of my purchases! I picked up a Correct Grade HRA several years ago when they still sold them in the store for $895. Then I ordered a CMP Special Springfield. I waited several years before purchasing an IHC when they briefly became available and then last year scored a Winchester. I was most pleased when CMP screwed up the Winnie order though, they only advertised .308 conversion Winnie's at the time and although I preferred to keep the stable all 30-06 I reluctantly ordered the .308 for fear of not having another opportunity to get a Winnie from CMP. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the case to find a 30-06 Winnie staring up at me! I called CMP to confirm that it was indeed a 30-06 and they confirmed and told me they'd take care of shipping it back so I could get the .308 I ordered. I told them no thanks, best screw up I'd ever received!:rockwoot:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i hear that driving to the south store was the best way to get one, but that was before orst (not sure of the spelling) retired, they say he was a walking encyclopedia of knowledge about garands!, I think it was on here that someone made the comment about asking him for a rack grade shooter, and orst walked over didn't even look, and pick one up, hand it to the guy and this is the one you want.

turns out he'd placed in on the rack, and it was like new, with a no muzzle or throat erosion, perfect vintage stock/hardware, and was priced at rack grade!

sadly he's retired, im sure there might be others with his knowledge, but he's the one I heard the most about!. plus back then, you could drive to the store, buy it and have it shipped to your house because shipping was cheaper than alabama state tax!, but I hear that now, if you buy it at the store, you have to pay tax, but if you buy online no tax

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Just a heads up for anyone thinking of ordering a Garand. CMP email this morning, Special Rack Grades Springfield and Winchester $650 and $700 (I believe, deleted the email) original receivers new barrels and new wood.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just a heads up for anyone thinking of ordering a Garand. CMP email this morning, Special Rack Grades Springfield and Winchester $650 and $700 (I believe, deleted the email) original receivers new barrels and new wood.

Yep, that's right red. I got the same email. That's a good deal!

Top Bottom