Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Defensive Knife Class - Indianapolis, June 28th

Hey all, just wanted to let you know that we now have the basic defensive knife class scheduled for June 28th. You can find the class description on the link provided.

Defensive Knife Course - June 28th - Self Reliance Outfitters?

Hope to see you there.

Brian

Are you the same Brian who used to be Brian ITC?
    http://www.PaladinCombatives.com/

From the curriculum description on the linked web site:
    In this course, we will teach you proven, easy-to-perform techinques for using a knife and defending yourself against a knife attack.
    Really?

Since the ITC logo is on the Pathfinder page, I'm going to assume either the OP is simply Brian LaMaster on a new name, or the OP is hosting him and happens to also be named Brian.

I'd like to take a moment to post about him and his training quality. I've used ITC as an example in classes before as the type of junk training that is available if you aren't careful. With the rise in the number of training companies to fill the demand (as Kirk calls "the rise of the 300") there are a number of good companies and a number of bad ones. One of the things that I constantly try to get across is the idea of truth and honesty in training.** I'd like to see everyone working to spread the word about good programs and bad ones. Most of us are resource limited and can't train with everyone. The best way I've heard it described was from Morgan Atwood on TPI posted on 1/8/2014. I'll quote it below intact:

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Atwood
    "As a writer and trainer in this industry, I'm amazed at how when someone calls bull**** on a group or an idea they may get disagreed with but rarely scolded, but as soon as they name names, they've crossed a line with many people.
    This industry operates on a false construct of honor and ethics, which tells us it is never okay to call people out by name. We can name bad ideas, dangerous practices, and (sometimes) the most egregious violators of common standards (Dick Metcalf, Zimbo, etc.), but as soon as we give a name to a bad actor in this industry for matters of Tactics, Techniques or Practices, the hue and cry of "unethical" and "dishonorable" begins. And it is behind this bull**** idea of "honor" that people like Higginbotham, numerous other gunwriters and even major industry players and trainers, hide. You can get away with murder, if the community around you widely supports the idea that calling people out by name is unethical.
    For the record, ****.That.****.Sideways. (To Tears, On Fire, While Running). As an industry member, albeit neither a prominent nor influential one, I want to develop a new culture. I want to develop a culture of naming and shaming people who sell dangerous ideas, promote dangerous products, or otherwise package bull****, hokum and nonsense as "Truth" for mass consumption. I embrace a culture of higher standards, and transparency. When bull**** is pushed, no one should be too big to name, shame and take down. Everyone should be accountable (including those who cry "unfair" and "unethical" when their favorite Jim Jones gets skewered. Those people, and their sacred cows and small gods, are holding us all back and endangering lives). To hell with diplomatic words: Name them. Shame them. Demand better. Everyone put on their big girl panties, and deal with it. We'd all be better off in the end." *Morgan Atwood, TPI, 1/8/2014
    I believe in this very strongly. To that end I'll use an ITC video to prove the point (though others would work):

Basic Jab (Whole Body Strike) - YouTube

If you watch the video you should be hearing warning bells and sirens going off in your head. To name a few: the fake flyback of his training partner, the goofy stance, the claim that you can't actually practice these techniques full speed, the claim that something called Thai jitsu has the best punching mechanics, the claim that boxing isn't going to work in a fight, etc etc. Let's use a little logic shall we?*

If we want to be the best at punching people who don't want to get punched, let's look towards the sports that make that a priority: boxing, kick boxing, muay thai.* Boxers have shown to have the hardest punches in the world using scientific testing. When a professional boxer lands a full power punch, the other guy does not fly back 10 feet like Mr LaMaster claims he can do. His hand was against the pad and he simply pushed, that's different.* How is pushing someone combat effective?* Do you really think that if some jerk is accosting you outside a gas station he'll let you do a goofy stanced full body strike to him?** No way.** Think through it. If you want to learn to turn someone into a lawn dart, maybe you should see who spends their days trying to do that...Greco Roman Wrestling for 1000 Alex.

I'm not looking to be mean or disrespectful, but I do want to be honest. As Morgan put it so eloquently we'll all be better for it.

To the person looking for a company or person to spend their money with it would be nice if we didn't "pull our punches" (ha) about places that are no good. If we do that as a community the junk places will fade away and the good companies will prosper.

Mike and I work hard to be on that list.* I've listed some other companies who have already made it in other threads.* Past students of ours will tell you we spend time to list all the good training companies out there we have experience with and trust.* I would have always counted The Pathfinder School and Dave Canterbury as a top notch outfit, but I am really questioning that now.

If Self Reliance Outfitters was just looking to host a decent self defense class, I sincerely hope they reconsider who they partner with.
    http://www.PaladinCombatives.com/

I'm gonna free fall out into nothin'
    Gonna leave this world for awhile

LFFL

Tired Of Winning
    Quote Originally Posted by chezuki View Post
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

The concept of bringing a knife to a gun fight has always baffled me...

Draw quickly, Shoot carefully.

Tired Of Winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Grasso View Post
    Here's a bit of education for you then...
    Don't Bring a Gun to a Knife Fight - Personal Defense Network
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by jdhaines View Post
    To the person looking for a company or person to spend their money with it would be nice if we didn't "pull our punches" (ha) about places that are no good. If we do that as a community the junk places will fade away and the good companies will prosper.
    We HAVE to pull our punches, or they'll have to call an ambulance. Or a whaaaambulance.

thanks for speaking up, Josh. +1 from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Grasso View Post

.]
    This is not what we are saying at all. We are believers in defensive knife, or better yet knife defense. In the clip you reference our intrepid hero makes the right choice for his situation. Such will not always be the case. Not every problem is a gun problem. As a matter of fact most aren't. Fortunately I think this attitude is going the way of the Dodo. It can take the faulty 3-3-3 rule with it as well.

Michael Swisher

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast