• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    This is where I think the blades come into play for SD. It helps to convince that laying hands on others is a bad idea. ;)

Here's my major issue with that line of thought: You really can't go to the blade unless you have at least two things -- 1. Reasonable need of deadly force, 2. The "space"(and time) to access a tool. For the most part, if I have those two things, I can also access a better tool. Absolutely, there are exceptions. You could be in a place where guns can't play and knives can, or you could certainly argue that you could already have a closed folder/auto in your hand BEFORE you're sure about deadly force, or... I'm sure we could come up with other valid reasons. Mostly, though...

The other thing for *me*, but this really is a personal thing that won't necessarily apply to other people, I feel more confident that I can solve this kind of problem QUICKLY with hands, elbows, head butts, knees, etc, than with a knife. Knife wounds are rarely QUICK stoppers, unless your attacker is squeamish and just decides to stop. I'd place my bet on control and blunt force over the blade. Again, though, that part is purely personal and may change as I get older.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The concept of bringing a knife to a gun fight has always baffled me...

[video=youtube;7YyBtMxZgQs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YyBtMxZgQs[/video]

Fun fact about that scene:

The guy with the sword, was a professional swordsman. He practiced for days, preparing for that scene. Him and Harrison Ford were suppose to have this big sword fighting scene. But, while they were filming, Harrison thought it would be hilarious to pull his gun and shoot him instead.

The director thought it was so good, they decided to do that instead.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I don't normally comment in these threads because I have much to learn still in the realm of fighting and hands-on combat. That said, whomever put out that "whole body jab" video either intended that to be a parody or is a completely idiotic blow-hard. That was laughable at best and shows a lack of any working knowledge or fighting experience. In 7+ minutes we got three actual demonstrative strikes and 6+ minutes drivel about how he is such a badass and has to "be gentle" so as not to snap his partner's neck. Give me a break.
    If people actually give that guy money to "train" them, I weep for their stupidity and commend him on his salesmanship.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think you'd be surprised how fast and how hard a serious Judoka can throw you.
    I'm not trying to underestimate anything. I am thinking that the thug that will attempt to lay hands on me will be a wannabe as opposed to one with real training. I feel I am very well prepared for a thug. An assassin, not so much, other than a a decent amount of awareness/paranoia.

Here's my major issue with that line of thought: You really can't go to the blade unless you have at least two things -- 1. Reasonable need of deadly force, 2. The "space"(and time) to access a tool. For the most part, if I have those two things, I can also access a better tool. Absolutely, there are exceptions. You could be in a place where guns can't play and knives can, or you could certainly argue that you could already have a closed folder/auto in your hand BEFORE you're sure about deadly force, or... I'm sure we could come up with other valid reasons.
    Although I'm not trained in martial arts at all, I don't discount any of that. I would go with evasion, hands and feet first. I do practice deploying the blades to separate and, or disable attackers though.
    I'm not so sure that there wouldn't be the freak occasion that a blade in hand warning wouldn't fend off an unarmed yet bigger/stronger/younger aggressor.

Mostly, though...
    ...may change as I get older.
    Had to play the age card, eh?

Knives should be banned. They scare me.
    This is what I'm talking about. ;)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The other thing for *me*, but this really is a personal thing that won't necessarily apply to other people, I feel more confident that I can solve this kind of problem QUICKLY with hands, elbows, head butts, knees, etc, than with a knife. Knife wounds are rarely QUICK stoppers, unless your attacker is squeamish and just decides to stop. I'd place my bet on control and blunt force over the blade. Again, though, that part is purely personal and may change as I get older.

Agreed in the context that most knife wounds are not intentionally targeted to disable limbs. Given that, most thugs who attack people aren't trained like a Michael Janich or Steve Tarani. Many thugs might be excessively effective and deadly combatants, but I don't think many have purposely trained to sever specific muscle groups and nerve bundles.

It kinda seems preferable to be stabbed in the belly or thorax over having the inside of your forearm or your quadriceps severed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Another advantage to my "physique" that I hadn't considered... I'm extremely difficult to throw!! :rockwoot:

It's true . . . as long as you can get low quickly enough. It's the combination of lots of mass and the center of mass being low. When I was younger, shorter, and heavier, my center of mass was lower inherently and I was significantly more agile.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I wouldn't.

Although, no one every successfully threw me unless I allowed it. hehe Sweep, trip, etc. yes, but not throw.

Well, it doesn't apply to rhinos. Either way, a well-executed throw is quick and you don't always see it coming unless you are also experienced.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Agreed in the context that most knife wounds are not intentionally targeted to disable limbs. Given that, most thugs who attack people aren't trained like a Michael Janich or Steve Tarani. Many thugs might be excessively effective and deadly combatants, but I don't think many have purposely trained to sever specific muscle groups and nerve bundles.

It kinda seems preferable to be stabbed in the belly or thorax over having the inside of your forearm or your quadriceps severed.

All true. As you know, kali students DO train to hit specific points, but most thugs do not spend a lot of time with kali gurus.

Top Bottom