• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That theory works great but what about the KC parade. Broad daylight, lots of people out to have fun, and a dedicated place with police presence. Things are changing.

In some ways, yes, but in terms of danger I don't think it is. The only difference between Charles Whitman and a modern day mass murder is the presence of a bajillion cameras, social media, and a 24 hour news cycle. He's correct that the stupids rule "greatly reduces" the chance but it's never zero. I suspect we're all in agreement to that point.

Even accounting for advances in medical treatment saving more people who would otherwise be counted as a homicide, rates are significantly better today than in the 70s and 80s, or even the 1920s. We are objectively safer today than in the vast majority of the preceding century. It just doesn't feel that way because every crime nationwide is on the news cycle making it feel more impactful.

Like you said, there's not much freedom in being afraid to go do stuff. You're still way more likely to get wiped out by a drunk on the road to X event than get gunned down at X event. If I wanted to go to an NFL game or celebration I would. Of perhaps some irony to the thread, I only learned who won the Super Bowl because of the shooting, though, so it's pretty unlikely I'll want to.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Right next to a Red Roof Inn and a Speedway gas station. Very modest income older neighborhood "just behind it" to the north and east, plus what looks to be an apartment complex as well, all connected by paved roadway. Two other "hotels" in the immediate triangle of major roadways around it.
    FIFY.

From what I have heard, those are "hotels" you dont want to stay in if you are in town for a couple days. E.g. they have a weekly rate that is used quite often.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    In some ways, yes, but in terms of danger I don't think it is. The only difference between Charles Whitman and a modern day mass murder is the presence of a bajillion cameras, social media, and a 24 hour news cycle. He's correct that the stupids rule "greatly reduces" the chance but it's never zero. I suspect we're all in agreement to that point.

Even accounting for advances in medical treatment saving more people who would otherwise be counted as a homicide, rates are significantly better today than in the 70s and 80s, or even the 1920s. We are objectively safer today than in the vast majority of the preceding century. It just doesn't feel that way because every crime nationwide is on the news cycle making it feel more impactful.

Like you said, there's not much freedom in being afraid to go do stuff. You're still way more likely to get wiped out by a drunk on the road to X event than get gunned down at X event. If I wanted to go to an NFL game or celebration I would. Of perhaps some irony to the thread, I only learned who won the Super Bowl because of the shooting, though, so it's pretty unlikely I'll want to.
    Everything you said is very true.

But you can’t deny that things are different as time ticks on.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    FIFY.

From what I have heard, those are "hotels" you dont want to stay in if you are in town for a couple days. E.g. they have a weekly rate that is used quite often.
    To be fair, there are a couple of nicer hotels in Park Fletcher, there along the Airport Expressway by 465. I grew up up just north of Washington and just inside the highway and remember it not feeling unsafe at all back then (except for some reported problems in the Cloverleaf apartments). The whole west side has gone downhill bigtime since I moved out to Hendricks county 27 years ago. Couldn't pay me enough to live anywhere inside Marion nowadays...

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    That has been a less than stellar area of town for quite some time and with the lack of prosecution over the last 8 years i'm sure there are a lot of undesirables still running the streets. Throw that in with late night, open Waffle House and you see the results. These late night restaurants are a magnet for drinkers on their way home. Put enough of them together and this is the result.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    FIFY.

I had some not so great impressions about them given their location. The franchises are decent in some locations, and sketchy in others. We've had some flip-flop near where I live.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Don’t forget the NBA all star game was in town also and last night was the big show!
    The NBA All Star Game was in my home town, and I didn't even know until after the fact.

Some of these folks apparently came all the way from NWI for it?

As an event destination, Indianapolis has moved past its "Monster Truck Jam" phase. As long as your city wants to be a destination for major events culturally significant to the "Hood-Celebrity Complex, I think you have to plan on at least one of these occurrences per extended weekend.

Maybe Iron Mike will come Celebrate Summer with us again?

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    This just solidifies my phobia of waffle houses. Bad experience with a very weird chick I picked up in a bar, and a couple of miles of running/fast walking home in the middle of the night, in the snow, pretty much ruined waffle houses for me.
    Did you happen to have your cheeks clinched while running? :coffee:

Top Bottom