• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN

Oh, I thought we were talking about Maxey. Never mind then.

If someone wants to have a sit down with a supervisor, how does someone go about it? It probably isnt worth my time, but I still want to do it. Like I said, I feel it is important that our officers know the law, and I do find it kind of disturbing how unprofessional he was. In the end, I know I wont change anything, but I suppose there is a possibility it might get discussed around the PD, which would be a good thing.

As for writing the mayor, chief of police, and the Tribune? Yeah, I am planning on it. Im sure all three will have a chuckle as they throw my letter into the junk pile.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

If someone wants to have a sit down with a supervisor, how does someone go about it? It probably isnt worth my time, but I still want to do it. Like I said, I feel it is important that our officers know the law, and I do find it kind of disturbing how unprofessional he was. In the end, I know I wont change anything, but I suppose there is a possibility it might get discussed around the PD, which would be a good thing.

As for writing the mayor, chief of police, and the Tribune? Yeah, I am planning on it. Im sure all three will have a chuckle as they throw my letter into the junk pile.

In my situation that happened this summer, I simply went down to the Sheriff's department and informed the receptionist that I need to make a formal complaint against an officer. I then asked who I should speak to. I sat in the lobby for about 5 minutes before the Chief Deputy came out and I followed him back to his office.

I would just go to the station and ask the receptionist there who you need to speak to about filing a formal complaint against officer Maxi, errr I mean Maxey. Have everything type written so that you can give a copy to the supervisor while keeping a copy for yourself. Go over the complaint with the supervisor and answer any questions with respect.

Be polite and courteous so that the supervisor can see that you are a calm and reasonable person who did absolutely nothing to deserve this type of disrespect. Don't expect anything to change. However, the officer may get a good chewing and they just won't tell you about it.

Here is the link to my formal complaint that I handed to the Chief Deputy in my case: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...all_county_reserve_officer-4.html#post2019272

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

Thanks.

I dont see how I could have handled it better. Yeah, I could have just covered it up and sulked back to my car, but it is important that our police officers know and understand the law, and I will be damned if I ever follow some cop's marching orders "because he told me to". Police officers, or public officials of any sort for that matter, can not simply order us around. His job is to enforce the law, not his opinion.

There may have been a better way to handle it, but I can't think of one myself.:dunno:

Good on you for knowing your rights and NOT covering it up. Eff that douche for not knowing the law and trying to belittle you.

By the looks of him, was the the high school bully or was he the punching bag? :):

Last edited:

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    :+1:Serious kudos to you for your cool head and level responses. Sounds like the idiot was on a major power trip.

I fully support Open Carry, and love seeing folks handle themselves as professionally as you did in your situation.

Having said that, I think I will grab your laminated "law card" idea and put it there with my license, so I can just hand them over at the same time next time I get hassled.:ingo:

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    OP, a lot of cops are unaware as to what is okay and what isnt, in regards to OC/CC (gun laws could easily take up part of a day at the academy, and the academy wants to cover everything they can to have a well rounded officer, even if they are ignorant to what LTCH may or may not allow). Not necessarily a reflection on the character of the officer, but rather a lack of knowledge on their behalf.

I live by the mantra "just because you can be an @$$ doesnt mean you necessarily should", and sometimes thats thet way you have to handle situations; However, I think you did a good job of "informing" Ofc. Maxey of the fact that CC is not a mandatory form of carry.

As far as " a 5 y.o. girl bein able to take your gun", Im pretty sure a 5 y.o. would reconsider trying to disarm a grown man, if he were to say...idk... give them a strike of some sort (not saying that its always the answer, but sometimes you gotta stop bad behavior in its tracks, by any means necessary).

I understand the statement regarding a suit/ business attire... a good "cut" suit can dramatically change the body image of an individual; I,however, have never thought carrying while wearing a suit to be comfortable... especially after a long day. Personal choice.

As for Maxey, sometimes you get more jerks in liberal cities than in the suburbs and small towns. That is a reflection on the officer, not necessarily on the PD.

Anywhoooo, I digress.

Good post, dont take any of that nonsense to heart :rockwoot:

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Thanks.

There may have been a better way to handle it, but I can't think of one myself.:dunno:

Good on you for knowing your rights and NOT covering it up. Eff that douche for not knowing the law and trying to belittle you.

By the looks of him, was the the high school bully or was he the punching bag? :):

Bully.

OP, a lot of cops are unaware as to what is okay and what isnt, in regards to OC/CC (gun laws could easily take up part of a day at the academy, and the academy wants to cover everything they can to have a well rounded officer, even if they are ignorant to what LTCH may or may not allow). Not necessarily a reflection on the character of the officer, but rather a lack of knowledge on their behalf.

I live by the mantra "just because you can be an @$$ doesnt mean you necessarily should", and sometimes thats thet way you have to handle situations; However, I think you did a good job of "informing" Ofc. Maxey of the fact that CC is not a mandatory form of carry.

As far as " a 5 y.o. girl bein able to take your gun", Im pretty sure a 5 y.o. would reconsider trying to disarm a grown man, if he were to say...idk... give them a strike of some sort (not saying that its always the answer, but sometimes you gotta stop bad behavior in its tracks, by any means necessary).

I understand the statement regarding a suit/ business attire... a good "cut" suit can dramatically change the body image of an individual; I,however, have never thought carrying while wearing a suit to be comfortable... especially after a long day. Personal choice.

As for Maxey, sometimes you get more jerks in liberal cities than in the suburbs and small towns. That is a reflection on the officer, not necessarily on the PD.

Anywhoooo, I digress.

Good post, dont take any of that nonsense to heart :rockwoot:

A good belt, and it is no different than any other day. I am stuck in those chlothes for a minimum 10 hours a day, you just have to learn to make them work for yourself. One thing I do know, CC in that attire is a pain. You either end up with your clothes looking funny, or you spend way to much time trying to not look "off", and you still do.

Good belt with a good holster, I can wear my work clothes and carry for hours on end.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

Not worth the time?
    Sounds like you already drew the line in the sand to me.
    I'm in full agreement with you.
    Some LEOs I've met don't like you to have a mouth and vocal cords. It's probably important to follow up on this so at the very least the SBPD may become educated on the OC law.
    We have to stand up for our rights and not let our rights be determined by personal opinion, whim or 'tude.
    Thumbs up!
    I think I'll make a copy of the law and keep it handy

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Well done and good report. I hope you do follow up with the SBPD but I would not expect much from them. That is a whole different department. I have found them to be worlds apart from Mishawaka or St Jos Co.

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Great job staying cool OP.

Not that there is a easy way to get a copy; however it's likely you and the thug were on camera the entire time.

Even without sound his body language and facial expressions would tell the tale.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Man... you'd think with all the violent crime increases in the last year or two up in SB that the PD up there would be glad that responsible, law abiding citizens are trying to be more responsible for their own safety.

:dunno:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I wouldn't even for a moment consider open carry unless I also had one of those tiny, cheap digital pocket recorders that I could trigger with one touch. Better yet, a camera pen that fits in the front pocket -- only costs about 35 dollars.

Amazon.com: Video Camera Pen: Electronics

Best be careful doing that...I believe IN has some screwy laws about recording cops. I could be wrong.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

you handled this perfectly. Me, being a bit of a smart ass at times, most likely wouldn't do nearly so well.

I do know that if and when this happens to me....not only will I go down and file as complaint, but being a former teacher, I would OFFER to do an inservice for the officers so that they ALL would know and fully UNDERSTAND the Indiana statutes on Open Carry. :)

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Best be careful doing that...I believe IN has some screwy laws about recording cops. I could be wrong.
    Indiana has good laws about recording cops, (or anyone else, for that matter). It is a single consent state. Folks are good to go in recording every interaction they have with any public official with no repercussions. Maybe you're confused about Illinois.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You would think that a LEO would know the laws he's supposed to enforce.
    They carry guns and just like any other citizens you would think they are smart enough to know the law regarding firearms in the state where they work.
    They cannot know every single laws but since they carry a gun they should know every gun laws, just like they should know traffic laws because they drive.Just like any other citizen.
    Even I know the law better than this cop and im not even supposed to enforce it, if I had to I would know it even more.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You would think that a LEO would know the laws he's supposed to enforce.
    They carry guns and just like any other citizens you would think they are smart enough to know the law regarding firearms in the state where they work.

I think there's a certain amount of Ivory Tower syndrome among many officers. I've talked to more than one police officer who was surprised that we can't carry in places like schools, the City of Chicago, etc. They're so used to being able to carry anywhere they want that it never occurs to them that it's a privilege that the rest of us do not enjoy.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Props to you. All these OP threads should be compiled into one thread so others can see how situations like this have played out and might give people something to think about before an interaction. Staying calm like this is good to reflect back on. Wish there was an open sticky with just the OPs.

Top Bottom