• ...and so much more!
  • Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    A week and a half before I was born.
    I've often wondered what my parents worried about.
    I remember the 9/11 attack a month and a half before my daughter was born and wondered/worried what kind of a world she was coming into

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    In Germany, within 2K of the Czech and E.German borders

It was around 1800-1900 hrs. I was winding it up for the next day's shift, reading a Mad magazine, relaxing on my bunk. I am a Russian linguist. A Czech linguist charges in my door screaming, "The President has been shot! ! ! !" LOUD.
    One friend down the corridor has a huge Gründig radio, and he's switching it between AFN, RadioLux, and BBC. All the news was the same. Kennedy shot.
    I'm standing in the room, big enough for 6 guys to stand in, and there are over a dozen in here. One dude -- a radar-tech, not a linguist -- goes all kinds of off on me for holding my Mad magazine! I bust his chops in Russian.
    Our station is amidst a Border-Patrol of armored Cav, "Four-Zero-Lima" being over 30 large tanks. I knew Russian tanks, but not U.S. Cav. tanks. I DO recognize the sounds of two-dozen tanks revving up. Your whole body shakes. They were headed out the gates of the Kassern just as fast as they could maneuver. 2000-hours, and not a single German vehicle on the highway or streets. Weird. We stayed by the radio as long as we could, and a siren went off. Air Force equivalent to "Battle Stations." Stay in your room and wait for instructions. Finally, around 2300 one of our Flight Commanders came to our billets and went into each room, physically, and told us we were on DEFCON-2. Pack a bag. Not a "BOB" as we might think now. This was Cold War time. We'd pack a suitcase. New German clothes, some cameras, LP-records, Jägermeister (Jah, it was good THEN, too), letters and all of our orders. Looking out the windows I see a LOT of Army in battle regalia. Not like the tankers, who didn't carry much. These dudes were armed to the teeth, and had gas-masks. Working in pairs, and had BARs in each pair. The night went slowly, and I slept. Woke up in time for breakfast, and the chow-hall was eerily still. What was there to say? Got to the Site, and had two AP-types I.D. us and let us in. They didn't know what we did, but they knew what they had to do. Long, unclassified story short: NOTHING was moving in the Russian, East German, Polish, or Czech military forces. All we could hear were taxi-cabs. Tense for awhile. The tankers reported that the East Germans were out of their tanks, waving their head-gear at us. Sign of sympathy, we interpreted. The second day we had Commander's Call, and the Padre read a eulogy. As I recall, it was very nice. Later on, when we were released passes to go into town, we found that our money was no good: everyone wanted to buy us our beer. Some leg was that way, too. Ahh, when we were young.

MRTOOSE

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Putnam Co
    Not yet born. I did go to elm street in Dallas a few years ago when i was a vacation and went to the spot where Oswalt fired . Maybe it was me but I didnt think that it was that hard of a shot from where he was at .

netlander10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Laying down in front of the tv watching the parade as the president got shot. Mom was listening to the tv from the kitchen and i will never forget the look on her face when she heard it and came in. I was 3 and can still remember it like yesterday.

tk6968

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I was in the fourth grade at IPS #33. Our teacher, Mrs Jenkins told us what had happened and then left the room crying. It was hard to understand right then. I still do not believe that Oswald could have done what they say he did. I also firmly believe that the final shot came from the right and slightly ahead of the limo.

Top Bottom