• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In my opinion it would not be poaching if the person consumed the animal. But it would be if he shot it for the mount.Just another way for the state to make money,but that is another argument we should save for later.

:n00b: :xmad: Fortunately, the definition of poaching is not up to you.

poaching: present participle of poach (Verb)
    Verb:
    1.The illegal shooting, trapping, or taking of game or fish from private or public property.

Poaching is poaching. The definition is not up for debate. Just like stealing is stealing. If somebody steals something, you don't hear people saying, "It's not stealing if they USE it."
    Kind of like killing is killing. If you shot somebody and they died, you have KILLED that person. The motives behind the act don't matter, the fact that it could have been an accident plays no part. You KILLED that person.
    So why do so many try to bend the definition of poaching? :dunno: If you illegally kill an animal, and don't play by the rules, YOU HAVE POACHED that animal. If that hurts some people's sensibilities, then maybe they need to take a look in the mirror.

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    :n00b: :xmad: Fortunately, the definition of poaching is not up to you.

poaching: present participle of poach (Verb)
    Verb:
    1.The illegal shooting, trapping, or taking of game or fish from private or public property.

Poaching is poaching. The definition is not up for debate. Just like stealing is stealing. If somebody steals something, you don't hear people saying, "It's not stealing if they USE it."
    Kind of like killing is killing. If you shot somebody and they died, you have KILLED that person. The motives behind the act don't matter, the fact that it could have been an accident plays no part. You KILLED that person.
    So why do so many try to bend the definition of poaching? :dunno: If you illegally kill an animal, and don't play by the rules, YOU HAVE POACHED that animal. If that hurts some people's sensibilities, then maybe they need to take a look in the mirror.

What he said. I get this with fisherman. They think it's okay to take more than a limit because "they're feeding their poor disabled neighbor" Poaching is poaching ,no exceptions.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    So you and your brother are hunting. You shoot your deer and are just sitting in the stand chilling for the obligatory 30 minutes when you hear your brother's gun go off.

Out from his area comes a hunched deer. It's crossing the field going to where you and your brother have been told you can't recover anything.

It's getting closer to the fence.

You've shot your deer and have just the tag for that one. You're pretty sure you killed it.

Haven't even checked for it yet. Do you consider your deer down? Do you let the gutshot go to the other side?

It's wounded and may take hours to die, and you could stop the suffering with a finisher.

Party hunting is illegal here.

Could you let that deer cross? Is it just a doe, or is it the monster you've watched grow on trail camera for years?

BTW, ever hear dogs/yotes finish off a deer?

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    So you and your brother are hunting. You shoot your deer and are just sitting in the stand chilling for the obligatory 30 minutes when you hear your brother's gun go off.

Out from his area comes a hunched deer. It's crossing the field going to where you and your brother have been told you can't recover anything.

It's getting closer to the fence.

You've shot your deer and have just the tag for that one. You're pretty sure you killed it.

Haven't even checked for it yet. Do you consider your deer down? Do you let the gutshot go to the other side?

It's wounded and may take hours to die, and you could stop the suffering with a finisher.

Party hunting is illegal here.

Could you let that deer cross? Is it just a doe, or is it the monster you've watched grow on trail camera for years?

BTW, ever hear dogs/yotes finish off a deer?

there is an exception that allows you to kill an animal to end suffering.. but if you do that you can not keep the animal...
    best would be teach your brother to shoot better in the first place..

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Scenarios don't matter. Rules are rules.

That said, IMHO the one buck rule turned a whole lot of otherwise honest and ethical hunters into poachers. How many of those whose wives, mothers, brothers, fathers never seen the woods but bought a tag?

Once you are knowingly a law breaker, why fool around? I'm not justifying or agreeing, I'm just saying with the price increases and rule changes as they have been, it happens.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    there is an exception that allows you to kill an animal to end suffering.. but if you do that you can not keep the animal...
    best would be teach your brother to shoot better in the first place..

Do you have a link to some DNR verbiage that says this? I'm not saying I don't believe you, I've just never seen it and would like to read it for myself

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Do you have a link to some DNR verbiage that says this? I'm not saying I don't believe you, I've just never seen it and would like to read it for myself

IC 35-46-3-5
    Exceptions from chapter; electrocution
    Sec. 5. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) through (c), this chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) Fishing, hunting, trapping, or other conduct authorized under IC 14-22.
    (2) Conduct authorized under IC 15-20-2.
    (3) Veterinary practices authorized by standards adopted under IC 25-38.1-2-14.
    (4) Conduct authorized by a local ordinance.
    (5) Acceptable farm management practices.
    (6) Conduct authorized by IC 15-17, and rules adopted under IC 15-17 for state or federally inspected livestock slaughtering facilities and state or federal animal disease control programs.
    (7) A research facility registered with the United States Department of Agriculture under the federal Animal Welfare Act (7 U.S.C. 2131 et seq.).
    (8) Destruction of a vertebrate defined as a pest under

IC 15-16-5-24.
    (9) Destruction of or injury to a fish.
    (10) Destruction of a vertebrate animal that is:
    (A) endangering, harassing, or threatening livestock or a domestic animal; or
    (B) destroying or damaging a person's property.
    (11) Destruction of an animal by an animal control program, including an animal control facility, an animal shelter, or a humane society.
    (12) Destruction of an injured or ill animal by an individual to prevent the animal from prolonged suffering.
    (13) Conduct not resulting in serious injury or illness to the animal that is incidental to exhibiting an animal for show, competition, or display, or that is incidental to transporting the animal for show, competition, or display.
    (14) Parking an animal.
    (15) Humane destruction of an animal that the person owns.
    (b) Section 1 of this chapter applies to conduct described in subsection (a).
    (c) Destruction of an animal by electrocution is authorized under this section only if it is conducted by a person who is engaged in an acceptable farm management practice, by a research facility registered with the United States Department of Agriculture under the Animal Welfare Act, or for the animal disease diagnostic laboratory established under IC 21-46-3-1, a research facility licensed by the United States Department of Agriculture, a college, or a university.
    As added by P.L.193-1987, SEC.8. Amended by P.L.2-1993, SEC.188; P.L.1-1995, SEC.76; P.L.137-1996, SEC.74; P.L.41-1998, SEC.1; P.L.2-2007, SEC.378; P.L.171-2007, SEC.6; P.L.2-2008, SEC.79; P.L.111-2009, SEC.11.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    IC 35-46-3-5
    Exceptions from chapter; electrocution
    Sec. 5. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) through (c), this chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) Fishing, hunting, trapping, or other conduct authorized under IC 14-22.
    (2) Conduct authorized under IC 15-20-2.
    (3) Veterinary practices authorized by standards adopted under IC 25-38.1-2-14.
    (4) Conduct authorized by a local ordinance.
    (5) Acceptable farm management practices.
    (6) Conduct authorized by IC 15-17, and rules adopted under IC 15-17 for state or federally inspected livestock slaughtering facilities and state or federal animal disease control programs.
    (7) A research facility registered with the United States Department of Agriculture under the federal Animal Welfare Act (7 U.S.C. 2131 et seq.).
    (8) Destruction of a vertebrate defined as a pest under

IC 15-16-5-24.
    (9) Destruction of or injury to a fish.
    (10) Destruction of a vertebrate animal that is:
    (A) endangering, harassing, or threatening livestock or a domestic animal; or
    (B) destroying or damaging a person's property.
    (11) Destruction of an animal by an animal control program, including an animal control facility, an animal shelter, or a humane society.
    (12) Destruction of an injured or ill animal by an individual to prevent the animal from prolonged suffering.
    (13) Conduct not resulting in serious injury or illness to the animal that is incidental to exhibiting an animal for show, competition, or display, or that is incidental to transporting the animal for show, competition, or display.
    (14) Parking an animal.
    (b) Section 1 of this chapter applies to conduct described in subsection (a).
    (c) Destruction of an animal by electrocution is authorized under this section only if it is conducted by a person who is engaged in an acceptable farm management practice, by a research facility registered with the United States Department of Agriculture under the Animal Welfare Act, or for the animal disease diagnostic laboratory established under IC 21-46-3-1, a research facility licensed by the United States Department of Agriculture, a college, or a university.
    As added by P.L.193-1987, SEC.8. Amended by P.L.2-1993, SEC.188; P.L.1-1995, SEC.76; P.L.137-1996, SEC.74; P.L.41-1998, SEC.1; P.L.2-2007, SEC.378; P.L.171-2007, SEC.6; P.L.2-2008, SEC.79; P.L.111-2009, SEC.11.

That all seams to be talking about domestic animals and electricution. I wouldn't bet on it being the same for wildlife. Too many times I've been told that if you hit a deer on the road and its suffering that you'd better not shoot it or you risk penalty

Last edited:

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    That all seams to be talking about domestic animals and electricution. I wouldn't bet on it being the same for wildlife. Too many times I've been told that if you hit a deer on the road and its suffering that you'd better not shoot it or you risk penalty
    Thats what I was told once too. I saw a buck that had been hit,I wanted to put him out of misery,but called the CO istead. He said it was a good thing I didnt shoot him.That I did the right thing by calling.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

That particular IC is about the general treatment of animals (owned and wild). If referring to domestic or owned animals, then it is specified; like in 15.

I think #12 is what you're looking for. It is not speaking about domestic only as it is not specified, so it goes for wild animals as well. You'll notice a number of the other exceptions in this IC refer to animals threatening life or destroying property or livestock, like coyotes, bears and such.

Like it was said above, you can kill an animal because it is suffering, but if it is a game animal, you better call a CO and let them know what happened. They'll probably show up and look over the scene and the carcass to try to verify your story, and you probably won't get to keep the animal.

The best thing to do in a situation like a deer that has been hit by a car is to call the police or a CO and inform them of the situation. I've been in that exact situation before and I let the officer know I was going to put it down myself, but wanted to call first. I was told to go ahead and safely put it down, but don't take it unless I wanted to wait around for an officer to show up to give me a permit.

I'm not a LEO or a lawyer, so take it for what it's worth.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Shoot a wounded deer while hunting, that you didn't have a tag for, and then call the CO to explain your good deed?

Uh................. expletives deleted..............NO!

boonedock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    DECATUR Co.
    My buddy owns the store where it was checked in...True story here..confessd to using a .223 the night before...Supposedly a notrious poacher. And yes that is a bad picture but is green scored 191.
    Not trying to add fuel to this derailed fire of a thread..just my .02

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    Deer poaching investigation leads to arrest

JENNINGS COUNTY, Ind. (WISH) - A Paris Crossing man was arrested Thursday night after a deer poaching investigation.
    According to a release from the Department of Natural Resources, Indiana Conservation Officer Zach Walker conducted an investigation concerning criminal mischief against a witness of a deer poaching incident. The incident took place during the fall of 2012.
    Officials say a witness reported property damage at his home over a period of weeks.
    Police expect to file criminal charges against 37-year-old Mark C. Green of Paris Crossing.
    This is an ongoing investigation.

Deer poaching investigation leads to arrest

Word on the street is he got caught in act of placing NAILS in the witness Driveway...WTF... :popcorn:

Top Bottom