• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I'm hoping to find a Springfield RO to try out before she's ready to buy, probably this week maybe next if nothing comes up. If she can't actually see one at the very least she'll probably go with the Ruger since she's at least shot the 45 version.

All this looking has me interested in one as well now. I checked out some videos of the EMP, decided against it due to the mags being proprietary. The standard 1911 frame fits my hand just fine so I don't really need to go that way. Thinking about the RO myself but it will be longer than she wants to wait before I can get mine.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I love my 1911s in 45. My latest build was a commander in 9mm and I love shooting it. I run Wilson 10 round mags and have had 0 issues. Low recoil and it shoots like a laser. 100% fun.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I'm hoping to find a Springfield RO to try out before she's ready to buy, probably this week maybe next if nothing comes up. If she can't actually see one at the very least she'll probably go with the Ruger since she's at least shot the 45 version.

All this looking has me interested in one as well now. I checked out some videos of the EMP, decided against it due to the mags being proprietary. The standard 1911 frame fits my hand just fine so I don't really need to go that way. Thinking about the RO myself but it will be longer than she wants to wait before I can get mine.

If you don't need the EMP then you don't need it. I will say I have been looking for a 9mm 1911 lately and have got to check a bunch out. I have seen 3 examples of EMP 4.0's and a number (4or5) R.O. Champions. In every case the EMP was a far better gun from a fit and finish standpoint. They were smoother, the thumb safeties fit better, the triggers were better, the finish was much, much better. I still have been leery of buying one though with the bushingless barrel and 17 different parts from "regular" 1911's.

Last edited:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    If you don't need the EMP then you don't nee it. I will say I have been looking for a 9mm 1911 lately and have got to check a bunch out. I have seen 3 examples of EMP 4.0's and a number (4or5) R.O. Champions. In every case the EMP was a far better gun from a fit and finish standpoint. They were smoother, the thumb safeties fit better, the triggers were better, the finish was much, much better. I still have been leery of buying one though with the bushingless barrel and 17 different parts from "regular" 1911's.

Up until helping her search for a 1911 9mm I hadn't given them much thought. 1911's were 45's. I like the way my Ruger shoots, other than the brass to the face. It went back to Ruger for that once already. They said they "tuned the extractor" but it still does it. Thinking about having an extended ejector put in it. I don't shoot it as much as I like because of the issue. All the 9's are striker fired except for the wife's 3913LS & her AR-9 pistol.

I'll probably not go with the EMP. I like parts & mags to be as standard and interchangeable as possible. I'll probably have a few things done to it to tweak it the way I want it.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

Thank you, good read. I've had a couple of things refinished by Allen, but no gunsmithing work done yet. He showed me a 1911 he was working on a few years ago and it was impressive. Whatever I end up with will go to him for a check-up and to have a few touches finished. I don't want anything too major as far as tweaks. I like a medium or long trigger that doesn't have serrations on it. Single sided safety and a small beavertail. I have small hands and the smaller the tail, the better. I hate the fish hook to the side when carrying. Flat mainspring if it doesn't already have one. That's about it, other than anything he may think needs looked at. It will serve time as a carry gun so I don't want a super light trigger, just no grit.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    If the budget is $850, how about a Rock Island Armory 1911A1 9mm, some ammo, and some training?

That's a possibility as well. It just depends on what she likes. I've already told her I can help with ammo anytime they need it. She's looking for Commander size or maybe smaller. I've seen some RIA & Citadel guns that would fit the bill as well. She's not likely to upgrade the gun in the future though. Whatever she gets will be kept for a LONG time. As far as training, that's something she & her husband are going to have to budget time for. I can get them all the range time they need until they get their own membership at the local club. But between her schooling, starting work at the hospital when she's done, the older daughter back from college living at home, a new grand-baby on the way, etc, well you get the idea. I can make suggestions, push a bit, teach them the basics, but they are going to have to do their part as well. They've shown an interest in training so that's a good start at least.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Not close. 2 miles from Ohio, 30 miles N of Richmond in Randolph county. We have some decent shops, good ranges, couple hundred acres, but no place to rent guns.

She said she was expecting to have to go to Indy to rent something, but from what was said at the start of the thread it doesn't sound like the usual places have any 9mm to rent.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I bought a citadel 9mm 1911 for a little over $300 have about 900-1000 rounds through it with 2 malfunctions one being because of crappy reloads the second im not sure what it was. May be a good choice to play around with before dropping more money on a nicer one.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Colt Commander in steel or alloy. The steel to control recoil or the alloy for easier carrying.

Yes, that's obvious. But why the Colt over any other brand? What should I tell her is your reasoning for this decision? What's your experience with the Colt compared to the Springfield RO & the Ruger she's considering?

:popcorn:

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I love my EMP , small easy to carry but around $1000 I also have a Remington R1 enhance less money and shoots great

Top Bottom