• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    Best shooting, Springfield 1911 RO in 9mm (Point Blank in Carmel had one to rent a while back); but I think Colt Commader (now back in production) because all 1911's should be Colt's.

I have shot both Colt Combat Commander (steel, not currently in production) & Colt Commander (alloy) in 9mm and they are great.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Got some decent model suggestions. What about the details though?

How are the fit & finish on the different ones listed above? Is there much of an actual difference between the Springfield RO & the Colt? Is it enough to justify a price difference? How about MIM parts, any particular model use less, more, different? What about known faults for these? I know early on the Ruger SR1911 had problems with the front sight breaking. They've supposedly got it taken care of.

April's gun will most likely never get upgraded. The only possible thing might be the grips. My Ruger that she has shot has the thin profile, if she gets something that has standard grips she may want the thin ones, then again maybe not. She won't care too much about the trigger as long as it isn't gritty. The difference between a Valor trigger and a stock trigger won't matter. One thing that she said she did like on my Ruger was the safety. She liked the extended safety and the positive solid click when using it.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    The best part about a 1911 is the ton of custom parts out there to make it yours and fit the exact purpose you have for it. Any gunsmith worth his rate can work on 1911s.

colts1982

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Kokomo
    The best part about a 1911 is the ton of custom parts out there to make it yours and fit the exact purpose you have for it. Any gunsmith worth his rate can work on 1911s.

You are correct about being able to customize to your liking but not any gunsmith worth there rate should work on 1911's. I've seen good gunsmith work and I've seen amazing gunsmiths work and the difference is highly noticeable. If you start to customizing please do your research and pick wisely!!! Sent mine down to brandan bunker at bunker arms. Easily one of the top ten smiths for 1911's out there and his work is amazing. Oh and for a suggestion take a look at the Dan Wesson line!! I have the valor and can't speak highly enough about the pistol.

Signess

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2016
    Evansville
    I have a STI Duty 4 that is an amazing shooter and super dependable. First magazine I put through is at 15 yards was an inch and a half group.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I'd like to get hands on ANY of them without a 2 hour drive to do so. It's kind of hard to give a recommendation to family that has no idea what to look for when it's impossible to check them out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'd like to get hands on ANY of them without a 2 hour drive to do so. It's kind of hard to give a recommendation to family that has no idea what to look for when it's impossible to check them out.

That makes things tough.

I have owned several RO (springers) and every one has been very well made. I still have one that has Morphed into a steel gun. It was fit up so well slide/frame that I went batPoo crazy with it and no regrets.
    I have owned several loaded's and 1 was a turd but easily fixed. The rest were great guns for the price points. Same with the TRP models.
    Thing is none of mine remain as built for very long so using them as reference points is mute or you would be welcome to come run them.
    Stay away from the MilSpecs.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I think whether I like it or not I'm going to have to make the drive somewhere. Looks like it's going to be phone calls across the state this week looking for a range with a couple of these for rent. I hope I can find a couple of different options without having to drive from N to S to get it done.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    you can buy those around 900ish. another good option is the springfielf range officer in 9mm

The RO is one that's in consideration. Not sure if you read the first post here or not. This pistol is not for me, mine will come later. There's been lots of recommendations but little in the way of details on WHY those are recommended and what makes them better than the others (besides the normal "I have it and like it").

I need to take her someplace that she can actually put her hands on these guns and shoot them if possible. I need to be able to tell her why one is better than the other and what justifies the price between them. From what I've learned there aren't many places that have 9mm 1911's for rent. It's almost 2 hours for me to get to Indy plus the trek across town to all the usual haunts. She's not going to go wandering from place to place at random even if I'm the one to drive.

Phone calls will be happening this week to see if any shops have one to rent.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Having one and liking it is pretty much what you will get from folks that only have 1.
    I have 1. It is a custom built Fusion and yes I like it but it is well beyond your budget I am sure.
    It is the only 9mm 1911 I have and ever will own. Got it for the spouse.
    I have ran an RO in 9mm. It ran very well as I would expect. Accurate. Reliable. Trigger was fair and it was a new-ish gun so I am sure it would get better.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Having one and liking it is pretty much what you will get from folks that only have 1.
    I have 1. It is a custom built Fusion and yes I like it but it is well beyond your budget I am sure.
    It is the only 9mm 1911 I have and ever will own. Got it for the spouse.
    I have ran an RO in 9mm. It ran very well as I would expect. Accurate. Reliable. Trigger was fair and it was a new-ish gun so I am sure it would get better.

She's probably going to go with the Ruger or the RO since those seem to be the most common. I'm going to find her some youtube vids to watch about each, breakdown, features, etc. For the amount of shooting she will do with it either one should be fine.

As for mine, when I get around to it in several months, I'll be a bit more picky. I'll be happy to go with a higher quality, maybe custom built one.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Talk to AllenM when you are ready. He may have something.
    He might build you one as well.

That was the plan. I'm not sure if it would be better to start with something and do the upgrades I'm after or just have it built from the ground up. I don't really want anything too detailed or custom. Pretty much after a commander size, alloy frame, single sided extended safety, smallish beavertail, no mim parts. It would be a carry gun as well as a range/training gun. I'm tired of average guns, they have their place (Glock, M&Ps, etc) and I have a good collection of them. From here on out I'll be buying quality.

rennocneb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Lawrence County
    Found out you can get into a SIG for about 900 as well. Be hard to beat quality wise. I have two 1911s im in lawrence county but they are both 45s or id say she could shoot mine. Both of mine are colts though. Honestly i feel you get a better gun out of the springfield than the ruger but thats my opinion nothing more. The sig would be a notch above either. Its going to have a much nicer fit and finish, better trigger, and its going to hold more value. Something to consider.

Top Bottom