• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Rooster The wife and I own 4 9mm 1911s and I have been into several others. After much trial and error I am going to help you out and save your friend a lot of grief.

Commander Frame, 4.25" Bushing Barrel, 9mm-http://shopwilsoncombat.com/

Go to shop Wilson and look up springs by model. For the 4.25" 9mm commander they recommend a 12 lb recoil spring, extra power firing pin spring and 19 lb hammer spring. Buy those 3 springs and install. Then make sure the extractor is tight by removing the slide and inserting a loaded cartridge under the extractor. It should stay in place. While the .45s don't seem to be to finicky the 9mm seems to want a nice tight extractor. Then run ammo with enough balls to actually run the gun.

My wife's Kimber and recently a buddies RO champion would not run. I don't know what springs were in the guns and I don't care. I ended up swapping the springs and tightening the extractors and the guns now work fine. The other thing to consider are magazines. Metalform Latham style mags, CMC 9xp or the new Wilson ETMs are where to look.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Rooster The wife and I own 4 9mm 1911s and I have been into several others. After much trial and error I am going to help you out and save your friend a lot of grief.

Commander Frame, 4.25" Bushing Barrel, 9mm-http://shopwilsoncombat.com/

Go to shop Wilson and look up springs by model. For the 4.25" 9mm commander they recommend a 12 lb recoil spring, extra power firing pin spring and 19 lb hammer spring. Buy those 3 springs and install. Then make sure the extractor is tight by removing the slide and inserting a loaded cartridge under the extractor. It should stay in place. While the .45s don't seem to be to finicky the 9mm seems to want a nice tight extractor. Then run ammo with enough balls to actually run the gun.

My wife's Kimber and recently a buddies RO champion would not run. I don't know what springs were in the guns and I don't care. I ended up swapping the springs and tightening the extractors and the guns now work fine. The other thing to consider are magazines. Metalform Latham style mags, CMC 9xp or the new Wilson ETMs are where to look.

Sounds good. In the past I've used both the Wilson & Wolff springs for various guns. For this I'll recommend to her to go with the Wilson's, both a 12 & 14# just to make sure it's covered and not have to place a second order. She'll probably order a couple mags from them while she's at it as well. The RO that we borrowed had both the factory flat mags and a Wilson and she liked the Wilson much better. It was much easier to seat the mag in addition to the extra round.

I'll keep in mind to check the extractor as well. We'll look for some Lawman of all 3 weights to try out. I have plenty of 124 & 147 HST's to try as well once we get it acting a little better and can get to the outdoor range.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Sounds good. In the past I've used both the Wilson & Wolff springs for various guns. For this I'll recommend to her to go with the Wilson's, both a 12 & 14# just to make sure it's covered and not have to place a second order. She'll probably order a couple mags from them while she's at it as well. The RO that we borrowed had both the factory flat mags and a Wilson and she liked the Wilson much better. It was much easier to seat the mag in addition to the extra round.

I'll keep in mind to check the extractor as well. We'll look for some Lawman of all 3 weights to try out. I have plenty of 124 & 147 HST's to try as well once we get it acting a little better and can get to the outdoor range.

I have no strong preference for Wilson springs over Wolff. Wilson just has a nice easy way to look up their recommended springs and like you said you can grab other goodies like magazines.

If your borrowed 9mm RO was GNRPowders then I am familiar with that gun. We are buddies and the young guy that works with me bought that exact gun off of him a couple of weeks ago. It would not run all ammo so I resprung it. Really helped the trigger. It still wouldn't run and I had to adjust the extractor. It seems to be going now.

My wife has a 4" Kimber out of the Pro Shop. Same problem. These factory guns are coming with to heavy of a hammer spring in them. The 5" guns seem to get away with it but not so with the 4" guns. For $20 I can swap the springs.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I have no strong preference for Wilson springs over Wolff. Wilson just has a nice easy way to look up their recommended springs and like you said you can grab other goodies like magazines.

If your borrowed 9mm RO was GNRPowders then I am familiar with that gun. We are buddies and the young guy that works with me bought that exact gun off of him a couple of weeks ago. It would not run all ammo so I resprung it. Really helped the trigger. It still wouldn't run and I had to adjust the extractor. It seems to be going now.

My wife has a 4" Kimber out of the Pro Shop. Same problem. These factory guns are coming with to heavy of a hammer spring in them. The 5" guns seem to get away with it but not so with the 4" guns. For $20 I can swap the springs.

Yep, that's the gun. We did a swap for a couple of weeks. I don't recall any problems when we shot it. Probably 300 rounds of WWB, PPU, I think some UMC also. No handloads, aluminum or steel cased stuff. It shot very well, there were just some things she liked about the Ruger a little better.

I'll check with her and see what she thinks. She may want to do that.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yep, that's the gun. We did a swap for a couple of weeks. I don't recall any problems when we shot it. Probably 300 rounds of WWB, PPU, I think some UMC also. No handloads, aluminum or steel cased stuff. It shot very well, there were just some things she liked about the Ruger a little better.

I'll check with her and see what she thinks. She may want to do that.

It ran Aquila and UMC. Would not run Federal or WWB. My wife's Kimber did exact same thing. Some of those 115 grain ball is just to light.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I've had 3 9mm 1911s.

1. Rock Island full size
    2. Remington R1 Enhanced full size
    3. Ruger lightweight Commander

The Rock Island was "just fine". Especially for the price.

The Remington R1 Enhanced was an excellent target pistol. Nice sights, great trigger, and almost no felt recoil. Far and away the most accurate pistol I've owned. Really great for new shooters because of it's size, weight, lack of recoil, great trigger, etc... Also, I think I bought mine at Beech Grove for under $750.

The Ruger LW Commander is a really great carry gun.

***Side note, if Ruger ever makes that 9mm LW commander in double stack... ooooooooooh. It could happen, right?

Top Bottom