• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I"m with Harry, answer to a question that no one asked. Like an extended slide lock or a stainless RSA assembly on a Glock. Not really a down side but I think any advantage will be difficult to prove. If you like them go for it but in my limited experience adding parts has a neutral effect at best. I have 3 1911s, Kimber Compact with a FLGR because bull barrel with no bushing demands it, a Nighthawk Tactical Enforcer II that has a factory installed Recoil master setup (exotic FLGR) and 22TCM with the standard bushing setup. They all work well but I wouldn't go out of my way to install one. Just my:twocents:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I"m with Harry, answer to a question that no one asked. Like an extended slide lock or a stainless RSA assembly on a Glock. Not really a down side but I think any advantage will be difficult to prove. If you like them go for it but in my limited experience adding parts has a neutral effect at best. I have 3 1911s, Kimber Compact with a FLGR because bull barrel with no bushing demands it, a Nighthawk Tactical Enforcer II that has a factory installed Recoil master setup (exotic FLGR) and 22TCM with the standard bushing setup. They all work well but I wouldn't go out of my way to install one. Just my:twocents:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

Hey, let us have our fun Charlie! We're being all scientific and everything. At the very worst, we'll spend the morning shooting 1911s and come away without having learned anything at all. Or, in other words, a typical range trip for me.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I'm glad i brought this up!! I just really never understood the thinking of some that refuse to allow a FLGR in their 1911.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    In more than a few discussions with folks I deem knowledgeable 1 being the SA custom shop many see the FLGR as a guide for the spring. It keeps it lined up and delivers a more linear result. It keeps the spring in check. Is this true, I think there is merit to this. JMHO of course. My degree in the school of hard knocks engineering agrees.

The longer guide rod makes sense to keep the spring aligned and keep it from binding, linear, etc.
    I've done my own tests (back yard unscientific parameters) and never could tell a difference.
    That may be due to my not being able to shoot accurately enough to tell the difference or not smart enough to know it when I see the difference.
    I have shot a 1911 enough to feel the difference when different types of ammo slide up the ramp into the barrel and I can sometimes feel the difference of the spring free floating on a standard mil spec gr and plug.
    I understand and agree with the mechanical differences and the minute super performance advantages. Any competitive edge is always welcomed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The longer guide rod makes sense to keep the spring aligned and keep it from binding, linear, etc.
    I've done my own tests (back yard unscientific parameters) and never could tell a difference.
    That may be due to my not being able to shoot accurately enough to tell the difference or not smart enough to know it when I see the difference.
    I have shot a 1911 enough to feel the difference when different types of ammo slide up the ramp into the barrel and I can sometimes feel the difference of the spring free floating on a standard mil spec gr and plug.
    I understand and agree with the mechanical differences and the minute super performance advantages. Any competitive edge is always welcomed.

We are going to do the CM/88 unscientific testing and I almost guarantee we will only increse our skill sets as to listing/notes etc. But it will be fun I guarantee it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    We are going to do the CM/88 unscientific testing and I almost guarantee we will only increse our skill sets as to listing/notes etc. But it will be fun I guarantee it.

No CM, this will be scientific. I am bringing a slide rule. I don't remember how to use it, but it will be there, so it will certainly be scientific. I might even bring graph paper.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No CM, this will be scientific. I am bringing a slide rule. I don't remember how to use it, but it will be there, so it will certainly be scientific. I might even bring graph paper.

I will now initiate the hunt for my slide rule. I do have one. showed it to my daughter years ago when we were watching Apollo 13. The scene where all the engineers were crunching numbers on their slide rules. She asked what those were. I found mine and showed her. She was amazed. Stone knives and axes.
    Where did I put that thing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have 2 SA loaded models with Identical internals as to ignition controls etc. Triggers are both set within an ounce. They are both tack drivers if they are properly run so you will have to do the honors.....:lmfao:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I will now initiate the hunt for my slide rule. I do have one. showed it to my daughter years ago when we were watching Apollo 13. The scene where all the engineers were crunching numbers on their slide rules. She asked what those were. I found mine and showed her. She was amazed. Stone knives and axes.
    Where did I put that thing.

Now you guys need to install the "pocket protectors" OOH OOH, you guys got any Nerdy safety glasses?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    So... ya'll gonna use Pepsi Cola cans or Mountain Dew bottles?
    Good question. I'm thinking that while Pepsi Cola tends to sell more than Mountain Dew, the Mountain Dew bottles have to have a more consistent thickness due to the amount of caffeine consumed by the users. Shaky hands and all. This will be at MCFG though, so the only bottles or cans used will not be used to quench the thirst for knowledge, but the normal kind of thirst instead. Unless the weather takes a sudden warming trend, coffee will most likely be the drink I have with me.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have 2 SA loaded models with Identical internals as to ignition controls etc. Triggers are both set within an ounce. They are both tack drivers if they are properly run so you will have to do the honors.....:lmfao:

This will have to take place before I get too much coffee in me.

Now you guys need to install the "pocket protectors" OOH OOH, you guys got any Nerdy safety glasses?

Don't forget the white lab coats. We'll look like something out of a Monty Python sketch or maybe more like an old Top Gear episode.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This will have to take place before I get too much coffee in me.

Don't forget the white lab coats. We'll look like something out of a Monty Python sketch or maybe more like an old Top Gear episode.

Tape on the nose bridge of safety glasses.

I am full up this week but lets look at a morning next week.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dorjan jackson
    Top Bottom