• deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    To re-cap my experience here.
    I blind tested 88's 1911's not knowing which gun had the FLGR. After running a mag through each of them I stated the last one I shot had the rod as it was noticeably smoother. The re-coil on the MilSpec set up was just a tad heavier and noticeably so. Maybe this is due to all of my 1911's being fit with the FLGR and running one without was obvious. Maybe not. The FLGR equipped pieces just ran smoother. The other set up had a heavier re-coil. We did not swap springs.
    When I swaped in the MilSpec set up to my custom gun it was obvious to me. 88 was not so sure. Like he said the diff was noticed by him hand cycling the slides.

In the slow mo vid I could see more muzzle rise and recoil effect on my arms with the MilSpec.
    My take away is you get a smoother running gun with the FLGR. At least to me. In the end it is all how we perceive things.

We did this for ..........​"SCIENCE"
    You spelled "FUN" wrong

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    To re-cap my experience here.
    I blind tested 88's 1911's not knowing which gun had the FLGR. After running a mag through each of them I stated the last one I shot had the rod as it was noticeably smoother. The re-coil on the MilSpec set up was just a tad heavier and noticeably so. Maybe this is due to all of my 1911's being fit with the FLGR and running one without was obvious. Maybe not. The FLGR equipped pieces just ran smoother. The other set up had a heavier re-coil. We did not swap springs.
    When I swaped in the MilSpec set up to my custom gun it was obvious to me. 88 was not so sure. Like he said the diff was noticed by him hand cycling the slides.

In the slow mo vid I could see more muzzle rise and recoil effect on my arms with the MilSpec.
    My take away is you get a smoother running gun with the FLGR. At least to me. In the end it is all how we perceive things.

We did this for ..........​"SCIENCE"

Thanks for sharing your results and I wish I could have been there.
    Did you get to blow up anything? I love science and YES, you can feel the difference between the two different guide rods.
    I can feel the difference in the way the bullets hit the ramps on the frame ramp and ramp built onto the barrel as well.
    When they're tight and right they're smooth as silk throughout the complete cycle.

Last edited:

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Thanks for sharing! I started this thread because of several people on here and afew other sites stating that if they had a 1911 with a FLGR that was the first thing they did was swap it out for a GI one. HOGWASH!! Thanks guys for doing this experiment. REALLY wanna see this video in SloMotion!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks for sharing! I started this thread because of several people on here and afew other sites stating that if they had a 1911 with a FLGR that was the first thing they did was swap it out for a GI one. HOGWASH!! Thanks guys for doing this experiment. REALLY wanna see this video in SloMotion!!

Most folks are just lazy and some lack owning an allen wrench in the proper size. But to each their own I guess.
    A couple of mine have the full length 1 piece rod that is a piece of cake to dismantle and reassemble.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Huh.....looks a lot different on the bigger screen.
    I was gripping the 2 differently. :dunno:

Edit....Watch the spent casing trajectory between them. This could be the extractor/ejector tune but it is interesting.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I did notice that. The gun with the FLGR tossed the cases farther and more rearward than the gun with the standard guide rod. I wish we had noticed that on the range to see if it was just the ejector/recoil spring tune or if it followed the guide rod.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I did notice that. The gun with the FLGR tossed the cases farther and more rearward than the gun with the standard guide rod. I wish we had noticed that on the range to see if it was just the ejector/recoil spring tune or if it followed the guide rod.

I see another Science experiment...:):

I do need to get the signed target from the last 1500 out to the range and punch a hole in it. The member closest to the hole will win some swag. I should have brought it with me that day.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I only have one 1911 which is a Les Baer Custom. it didn't come with one, so I called them, they told me I don't need one on theirs. OKayyy. But i bought one from Wilson Combat. and my Les Baer shoot just as accurate without one. But I left it in it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I only have one 1911 which is a Les Baer Custom. it didn't come with one, so I called them, they told me I don't need one on theirs. OKayyy. But i bought one from Wilson Combat. and my Les Baer shoot just as accurate without one. But I left it in it.

Accuracy was never really effected. I just felt the FLGR fit piece ran smoother.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    From what I have heard, although it has not happened to me is that the FLGR keeps the slide from some inadvertent rearward travel. Say, in the dark, and the muzzle contacts some sort of cover. The FLGR in theory will not allow the slide to travel so far rearward to extract/eject the round in the chamber should it be needed. I would think that would be a rather rare problem, however, if one is in a "rare" situation, it may have merit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    From what I have heard, although it has not happened to me is that the FLGR keeps the slide from some inadvertent rearward travel. Say, in the dark, and the muzzle contacts some sort of cover. The FLGR in theory will not allow the slide to travel so far rearward to extract/eject the round in the chamber should it be needed. I would think that would be a rather rare problem, however, if one is in a "rare" situation, it may have merit.

As all of my 1911's save for 1 are fit with FLGR's and have been for years I have never had an issue related to this. Interesting.
    I did inadvertently assemble one with the wrong spring plug. It was to tight on the rod. I had 2 dismantled (1 was getting some mods and 1 was for clean/service) and did get the plugs mixed up. It galled the rod. Not so much as to stop the slide but I caught it on the next service to that piece. Why there was an OD diff. between the 2 rods is unknown. Diff manf.
    Now I only do 1 at a time out on the bench. I have containers to separate any work in progress. .

Top Bottom