• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    rather irritated at the moment, during disassemble, ****ing barrel bushing popped off and flew straight at my orbital bone. now there's a swollen bag of blood pressing down on my eyelid so can't see great at this time, and a cut along my eyebrow..

whats the best way to take the bastard apart?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Uhhh... You're doing it wrong. Not even sure how the barrel bushing would pop off like that.

Push in on the recoil plug, turn the bushing, let the plug out slowly, pull the recoil spring out. There will be no more spring pressure and no way for the bushing to shoot out.

I don't understand how you could have done this unless you meant the recoil spring plug instead of the bushing or you turned the bushing the wrong way with the recoil spring plug still pushing against the back?

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    Uhhh... You're doing it wrong. Not even sure how the barrel bushing would pop off like that.

Push in on the recoil plug, turn the bushing, let the plug out slowly, pull the recoil spring out. There will be no more spring pressure and no way for the bushing to shoot out.

I don't understand how you could have done this unless you meant the recoil spring plug instead of the bushing or you turned the bushing the wrong way with the recoil spring plug still pushing against the back?

its quite possible it was the spring plug that hit me. i wasn't paying a hole lot of attention at what was coming toward my face.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    its quite possible it was the spring plug that hit me. i wasn't paying a hole lot of attention at what was coming toward my face.
    You should know - because if it was the plug the bushing *should* still be on the gun unless you're doing things bass ackwards.

There are a *lot* of videos on YouTube about disassembly/assembly - I suggest watching a few of them and you'll likely see where you went out of order on the steps.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    yea avoid looking directly at the bushing because they can fly out if your not careful

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The plug can become an un-guided missile if you do not pay attention.
    My son has a scar above his eye from a flying plug. The gun had a one piece guide rod system. It has a nice hole punch in the end of it.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I feel for you. One of my buddies and I were 'racing' each other on disassembly/assembly/function check in basic (yes, this was a long time ago) I let my thumb slip and was rewarded with a nice gnurled bruise in the middle of my forehead. Needless to say, it's a mistake that once you've made it, you try very hard never to make again.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Practicing interior deployment and firing I once held my 1911 a wee bit too close to my face and got a nice gash from the recoil. Didn't leave a mark although it could have broken the bridge of my nose...

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    "I consider keeping the recoil spring in the same zip code a success" Taken from Annie's Stuff. The nifty tool on Jetgirl's page looks like something pretty useful. I too have had the pleasure to have the recoil plug fly forth. The exciting part is sitting silently waiting for it to hit something so you can begin your search.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have chased more then one part that went flying while taking a gun apart. They always seem to end up under the couch, in the toy box, or bounching across the concrete.

Top Bottom