• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Several years ago I met a guy to sell him a Kimber. He wanted to disassemble it and I assumed he was "familiar" with the 1911, shot the recoil spring plug right out through the open sunroof and we never found it. He bought the pistol and we both learned a valuable lesson. Don't assume that everyone else knows what YOU know.

Thanks to cobber, my laugh of the day to this point. :laugh:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduate[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Certified pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IF it's got a spring in it I can guarantee you that I'll soon be looking on the floor for it.
    I NEVER hit myself in the head with a plug before but I did destroy a nice lamp last year when the plug slipped out of my fingers. I'm the guy that never uses a bushing wrench.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Springs are dangerous! Working on a motorcycle front forks springs once with hubby, for the first time. didn't realize how much pressure those things are under! The huge spring flew up, narrowly missing me and hit the garage ceiling, then ricocheted out into the driveway. That was a Holy Crap moment!
    I also found out the other day that those tubular magazine rods (not sure of the technical term) that are on lever action rifles can spring out, I caught it in mid-air though, and at least that wasn't anywhere near my face!
    Also got the bridge of my nose smacked by a scope.
    Lessons learned the hard way... :n00b:

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Another option is to rack the slide back until the slide release notch lines up & pop out the slide release, Then remove entire (fully assembled) slide. After this, disassemble the slide. This is not the "popular" way of dis-assembly, but it does work.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Wow! I have taken mine apart hundreds of times and haven't done that yet. Yet! lol. Push the plunger and rotate bushing clock wise and it (bushing) will stay put while you release the plunger slowly!! Then turn counter clockwise and remove. It is only a PITA with a long guide rod but you get use to it. I find the tool to fumbly to use. a Corner of a mag with push the plunger down nicely.

Just glad no eyes were lost in the event.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I feel for you. One of my buddies and I were 'racing' each other on disassembly/assembly/function check in basic (yes, this was a long time ago) I let my thumb slip and was rewarded with a nice gnurled bruise in the middle of my forehead. Needless to say, it's a mistake that once you've made it, you try very hard never to make again.

I lost one in the shop by not paying attention. It missed my head as I ducked but lost it in all the stuff. Took a few days before it turned up. I have spares but still, not the smartest thing to do.

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I was showing a customer a knife one day at the shop, in the distance a co-worker was showing another customer how to field strip his new NAA .32naa guardian. Next thing I know whack my guy gets drilled in the ear. Thing turned a weird blue/green instantly. We had to have been 25ft apart.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    Just glad no eyes were lost in the event.

judging by the gash it was about an inch from my eye. on this occasion i chose to disassemble at my kitchen counter instead of my shop workbench... prob would have never found the bits from it. ive lost too many AR detent springs/pins in there..

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    judging by the gash it was about an inch from my eye. on this occasion i chose to disassemble at my kitchen counter instead of my shop workbench... prob would have never found the bits from it. ive lost too many AR detent springs/pins in there..

I haven't sent the bushing flying but I did launch the plunger across the room, behind the desk. But first it ricochet off the front picture window. I found it 2 hours later. We all have those ah ha moments. Just glad the eyes ok!

Last edited:

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Another option is to rack the slide back until the slide release notch lines up & pop out the slide release, Then remove entire (fully assembled) slide. After this, disassemble the slide. This is not the "popular" way of dis-assembly, but it does work.

This +1...reassembles the normal way...best way to do it if youve got a really tight bushing/plug/barrel fit.

God bless
    -Shred

bruno1371

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    in the middle
    It got away from me one time too. Sitting in my recliner it shot across and dented the wood trim on my sliding glass door! About 1/2 inch left and the door may have shattered. Not one of my prouder moments.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    k so, have discovered my problem - thisis my first 1911. the manual (i read manuals) says rotate bushing 90 degrees... well it doesn't specify which way, and turns out, it matter. no wonder i spent 2 hours ****ing with the gun and easily injured myself.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    k so, have discovered my problem - thisis my first 1911. the manual (i read manuals) says rotate bushing 90 degrees... well it doesn't specify which way, and turns out, it matter. no wonder i spent 2 hours ****ing with the gun and easily injured myself.

I mentioned that in my earlier post :-) I know you will remember it now!! I hope your healing good! Take care.

Top Bottom