• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    MARSOC has always had 1911's, called the "MEU SOC", the are replacements.

The "final" choices were this Colt and the Springfield MC Operator.

Here's an oldie but goodie at work:

425179_351639908214335_901387120_n.jpg

Glad they went with the one made in the U.S.A.

CCF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Test Article Photos of MARSOC Winning Colt Rail Guns - Soldier Systems

Got to wonder what other guns it beat out and why?

I am a huge fan of 1911's, I am not a polymer gun hater, some I like some I don't.
    At $1875 per pistol that is a lot of money.
    The FBI SWAT HRT went with a custom built Springfield, those guns went to shooters. The marines are only ordering 12k of these, there are over 200,000 thousand marines. These guns are going to shooters

After looking at those pics more carefully, I'm convinced that the damage is from a KB. Nothing else can explain how/why the frame is damaged the way it is.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    After looking at those pics more carefully, I'm convinced that the damage is from a KB. Nothing else can explain how/why the frame is damaged the way it is.
    ther slide is weak in that area and is the part that impacts on the rearward movement of the slide

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YdEGWEX4LM[/ame]

the slide is also the weakest right at the point because it is where it is cut for the plunger tube tunnel, add to it the front serrations.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    the gun beat it self up from weak springs.....put a 15# main and 9# recoil spring in one and fire 1k of +P's......it's the same effect....

CCF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    the gun beat it self up from weak springs.....put a 15# main and 9# recoil spring in one and fire 1k of +P's......it's the same effect....

Maybe on the slide, but not the frame. That frame damage came from something far greater.

CCF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    i don't think so:twocents:...seen a 460 Rowland that didn't have a brake and to weak of springs do the same to a frame...

The recoil spring tunnel on the slide never comes in contact with the frame dust cover. How in the world would recoil then splay the dust cover. Particularly that thick dust cover?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i would say it was from the spring over coilin' from the slide over travelin' from weak spring....i'm just guessin' from pic's.....would be able to tell if it was in my hand....

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The recoil spring tunnel on the slide never comes in contact with the frame dust cover. How in the world would recoil then splay the dust cover. Particularly that thick dust cover?

Look at where the crack starts, it is right where the edge of the light rail is. That is a weak point, any sharp edge like that is a spot where cracks can start. Could be a number of reasons and who knows how many rounds it took to do that.
    I know a few people that have had cracked slides in the same spot in those pictures in hand fitted highly tuned custom guns.

CCF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    i would say it was from the spring over coilin' from the slide over travelin' from weak spring....i'm just guessin' from pic's.....would be able to tell if it was in my hand....

The spring does not become solid from recoil. The slide bottoms out on the end of the frame rails before the spring becomes solid. Even when people put a GM spring in a commander and do not cut them down enough, they simply break the barrel bushing.

CCF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Look at where the crack starts, it is right where the edge of the light rail is. That is a weak point, any sharp edge like that is a spot where cracks can start. Could be a number of reasons and who knows how many rounds it took to do that.
    I know a few people that have had cracked slides in the same spot in those pictures in hand fitted highly tuned custom guns.

Jake, what put pressure on that area of the dust cover? Recoil will not do that.

I build many custom guns and like you shoot a ton of USPSA. I know about very light springs and recoil. I have guys running my limited guns with 8lb recoil spring for 10s of thousands of rounds running 172pf. I have seen many slides crack where that one has been cracked. Often because the lightning cuts were too close to the recoil spring tunnel on the slide. You know as well as I do that a 1911 with what was probably a 16lb spring should run for several barrels worth with standard ammo. This was something catastrophic IMO.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    The spring does not become solid from recoil. The slide bottoms out on the end of the frame rails before the spring becomes solid. Even when people put a GM spring in a commander and do not cut them down enough, they simply break the barrel bushing.

the spring is over coiling...which is when the spring coils go over each other from being smashed swelling on the guide rod....

CCF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    the spring is over coiling...which is when the spring coils go over each other from being smashed swelling on the guide rod....

Okay, but that still would not explain how or what splayed the dust cover. The gun would not go forward back in battery if the coils over lapped each other and swelled in the spring tunnel.....right? What am I missing?:(

CCF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Oh well. I wasn't there. Seems weird to me given my experiences with the platform. Not saying it is not possible, but I have trouble looking at that damage and saying it was just from 12k rounds. It's not like it is a new design or new springs or colt is completely incompetent. Weird. :dunno:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    if there is still enough spring that didn't over coil plus the opening of the dust it would go back in battery......i don't build them for a livin' just been messin' with them for 30+ years.........it just looks like the one a friend of a friend brought me to look at that had the 460 Rowland barrel in it that was beat up like the test gun with 12k+ ran threw it with out spring change.....

CCF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    if there is still enough spring that didn't over coil plus the opening of the dust it would go back in battery......i don't build them for a livin' just been messin' with them for 30+ years.........it just looks like the one a friend of a friend brought me to look at that had the 460 Rowland barrel in it that was beat up like the test gun with 12k+ ran threw it with out spring change.....

Interesting. If they were using a traditional spring plug and the coils overlapped and then the slide jammed back into the frame. Maybe the frame damage came from them trying to pry them apart??? But I can't imagine these guns not coming with a full guide rod.

Fun talk guys!!!!

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Interesting. If they were using a traditional spring plug and the coils overlapped and then the slide jammed back into the frame. Maybe the frame damage came from them trying to pry them apart??? But I can't imagine these guns not coming with a full guide rod.

Fun talk guys!!!!

yep great talk......i would think they would but they might have a GI rod in them.......the one i'm talkin' about had a GI rod in it...

Top Bottom