• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    One vote for the PT1911. Nah, it's cheap ($459 new for mine) so flame away, LOL. Mine's only around 1,000 rounds so far without a hitch.

..hey, had to get 1 vote in and make ya see my picture:):

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    At least the thread is about 1911s. If this were discussing Glocks and M&Ps then no telling where it would go.

Actually Mrs. VERT will not be insulted. I have never traded a 1911 and my pistols get the best of everything. Life is too short to shoot an ugly gun and I think all my 1911s are fine looking arms. My taste is anything but cheap.

Now I will end this analogy before Powder reminds me yet again about how he can outshoot me with my own gun. We ain't goin' there.

I have the same taste, very picky about my choices and never skimp out, NEVER. Springfield RO is about as cheap as I will go, but that gun is very much an exception...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    RO seems to be a best buy. The finish is rough but I hear only good things about the function. I am seriously considering adding an RO or SR1911 to the safe this fall. Not sure why other then I don't own what I would consider to be a traditional 1911.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    At least the thread is about 1911s. If this were discussing Glocks and M&Ps then no telling where it would go.

Actually Mrs. VERT will not be insulted. I have never traded a 1911 and my pistols get the best of everything. Life is too short to shoot an ugly gun and I think all my 1911s are fine looking arms. My taste is anything but cheap.

Now I will end this analogy before Powder reminds me yet again about how he can outshoot me with my own gun. We ain't goin' there.

You sound like the ideal buyer for my Llama. That thing will flush your assessment of them all being fine ;)

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    RO seems to be a best buy. The finish is rough but I hear only good things about the function. I am seriously considering adding an RO or SR1911 to the safe this fall. Not sure why other then I don't own what I would consider to be a traditional 1911.

I was going to buy a ruger, but its just OK from what I see, that RO is the best for what it is. Ill be refinishing mine in black T soon after I find somebody to checker the front strap...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For the money (seriously) the RO is hands down the best shooter you will get out of the box. Remember....for the money.
    The finish is a bit rough. The function is (for the money) the best mid-level 1911 going. I have owned many and talked many into owning this gun. After about 200 rounds they get pretty smooth. After a bit of love the will run with most any out of the box N.M. piece.

rcwill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 12, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You'll probably end up with several 1911s just like the rest of us. I really like my Ruger SR1911 full size and within several weeks of that purchase I also bought a Desert Eagle 1911C...a real sweet shooter. You might want to give that a look as well...has a great trigger.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My oldest son and I took a couple of 1911s out to the range this morning in honor of Memorial Day. We shot my 1944 Colt along with a Remington R1S. I'll probably head out again this afternoon with my youngest son when he gets home from school. It's hard to beat the feel of a full size 1911. I like my compacts, but it's the full size ones that I really enjoy shooting.

OP: whatever you get, consider it to just be the first of many. The things really are addicting but I'm trying to control myself now days. Just like messing with women, I find myself going from thinking 'That sure looks like a lot of fun to play with' to 'Am I sure I want that with me the rest of my life?'.

ag563

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Delphi, Indiana
    I also think they are a lil under rated , not to say I wont ever own one but I will most likely save up and by one I know I'll be happy with as my first.
    that is a sweet lookin pistol tho, congrats.

I have a Springfield 1911 & two Rock Island 1911's, both are good guns. Next will be a FS Ruger SR1911.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I also have the addiction. The Ruger SR1911 full size was my first 1911. Then in the last two weeks I've acquired a Range Officer and a LW Champion Operator! Haven't shot them yet though :-(

I had a RIA Tactical and liked it OK, but side by side with the Ruger you could tell a difference in finish and trigger. I sold the RIA.

Last edited:

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I have a Ruger 1911 and a STI Spartan. Both of these guns ran perfect out of the box and are alot of fun to shoot. Buy what you can afford and then enjoy it!!

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Save! With 1911s, they tend to get into your blood. If you buy a cheapo now, you will be selling it to buy a quality 1911 once the bug sets in. I had an OD Green Springfield Operator & Parkerized Springfield 1911 years ago both of which were stolen when my home was burglarized while I was Overseas. I've had a chance to pick up some cheapies for under $300, but I just can't do it.... Once you've had T-bone, round steak just doesn't cut it.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Don't go cheap on a 1911.

I carry a Kimber Super Carry Custom HD.

Fantastic for a myriad of reasons. Liked it so well I bought a second one.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    DEFINITELY save for a springer RO or a TRP!!!!! That trp is the best 1911 I have ever shot and made me look like an expert out of the box. I will be buying more springfields from now on!!!

tackshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 11, 2014
    Southside
    Save! With 1911s, they tend to get into your blood. If you buy a cheapo now, you will be selling it to buy a quality 1911 once the bug sets in. I had an OD Green Springfield Operator & Parkerized Springfield 1911 years ago both of which were stolen when my home was burglarized while I was Overseas. I've had a chance to pick up some cheapies for under $300, but I just can't do it.... Once you've had T-bone, round steak just doesn't cut it.
    Yeah my buddy has a cheap one and is already looking for a better one.
    Also that is such a great analogy, I love it lol

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have the RIA Tactical I midsize and it's been a great shooter. If I ever get the addiction of buying another 1911, I like to get the Ruger SR1911. IMHO NO gun is ever worth a few thousand dollars. They all shoot. They all do bodily harm. And everyone will duck for cover regardless if it's a hundred dollar or a million dollar gun. The gun is only as good as the shooter.

Top Bottom