Suspend this man for setting a bad example

gonnapopImage2.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    And this isn't even a difference just between boys and girls. Everyone learns in different ways, but the public schools have no interest in exploring different methods. It makes much more sense to them to make a poor little boy sit there and shut his brain off while some nitwit drones on about nothing that will ever matter to him. And our drop-out rates, standardized test scores, etc. all reflect this problem.

my wifes school used to be another school, but test scores dropped low enough to where they lost federal funding. they got 51% new staff, and test scores stayed the same. they began trying a new curriculum a few years ago that makes EVERY lesson 50 percent classis style lecture education and 50 percent GAMES. i have came into the classes and the kids dont even realize its learning, they just think its a game... well test scores still keep on dropping. i for one know that my wife puts 110 percent into the classroom and a TON of her own money to try and make it the best experience for the students, but her class this year as well didnt show the level of improvement required. i think its a general lack of motivation by students. instead of going home to mom or dad saying get your homework out... they go home and turn on the tube or xbox or cell phone. i think america is slipping because our home standards/discipline are slipping.

Although in my opinion, public schools are designed with a feminine mindset. Why do you think females excel in school so much more than boys? Are they smarter or better? Of course not. Boys aren't meant to sit in a classroom all day learning how to write in cursive, how to cook, how to sew, and how to conform.

WOW. thats pretty sexist. there are plenty of successful men taught by this system. i am one of them and never even had that thought cross my mind. so because we are men we cant be "man" enough to sit in a classroom?

On that note, i am going to leave this thread, i have better things to do w/ my time. not saying you guys are wrong, but i just cant wrap my mind around yalls way of thinking to even see the other side of the fence, let alone know if its greener.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    What happened to detentions? What happened to making the student do extra homework? Taking away recess for the day? Separating him from his friends in class?

Zero tollerance happend and many kids will just not do the homework or feel the detention is worth it. I graduated in 01 and even then you never heard about people getting detention, why? Because getting it was no big deal.

Take away play time and they know at some point they will get it back.

Suspend them and now mom or dad have to be home or have to get a baby sitter........ more of a chance something will be done at home then.

Not to mention what if said kid did bring in a gun and shot someone and all's the school had done before is take away play time? The school has to at least look serious in handeling situations or the law suits become far worse.

My wife an I are tempted to home school our kid(s) for multiple reasons but if you point your fingers like a gun multiple times in a school then any idiot should know something is going to get said/done considering all the school shootings... I am all for liberty but lets get real.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    my wifes school used to be another school, but test scores dropped low enough to where they lost federal funding. they got 51% new staff, and test scores stayed the same. they began trying a new curriculum a few years ago that makes EVERY lesson 50 percent classis style lecture education and 50 percent GAMES. i have came into the classes and the kids dont even realize its learning, they just think its a game... well test scores still keep on dropping. i for one know that my wife puts 110 percent into the classroom and a TON of her own money to try and make it the best experience for the students, but her class this year as well didnt show the level of improvement required. i think its a general lack of motivation by students. instead of going home to mom or dad saying get your homework out... they go home and turn on the tube or xbox or cell phone. i think america is slipping because our home standards/discipline are slipping.

Turning it into a game is not at all what I'm talking about.

WOW. thats pretty sexist. there are plenty of successful men taught by this system. i am one of them and never even had that thought cross my mind. so because we are men we cant be "man" enough to sit in a classroom?

It's not sexist. What's sexist is a system that caters to females and does nothing to cater to males. And if you don't think there's a difference, then...I don't know what to say.

I never got good grades. I always struggled in school. I spent my entire childhood grounded and punished for bad grades. My parents tutored me constantly but I still never put in enough effort to get better than B's and C's usually. The material did not interest me or engage me in any way. Was that my fault, as a kid? My parent's fault? Or is that the system's fault, for insisting that every kid be able to sit there and mindlessly repeat things that they could never possibly have any interest in?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    but I still never put in enough effort to get better than B's and C's usually.

doesnt sound like the systems fault. sounds like a work ethic. i was one of those kids put on ritilan and got mostly b's and c's as well despite parental input and tuturing. at 16 i started to refuse to take ritilan and my parents agreed that if i could get all a's and b's off of ritilan then i could stay off of it. i was on ritilan more for behavior than anything else. i had the motivation and once i applied my work ethic on my own i got straight a's. maybe you spent more time blaming the system instead of blaming yourself? i truley believe that a human can adapt to anything they put their mind to w/in reason, school is one of them. there is no such thing as a person born stupid, just poor work ethics. school is not supposed to be "fun". i didnt enjoy the work around the farm much either but i was forced to do it and eventually that work ethic carried me through to become a successful adult. i am now reenrolling myself into the "system" where i will no doubt be spending time in a row listening to a lecture, where my work ethic will greatly reflect what i get out of the class.

i disagree wholeheartedly that the system was designed and caters to females.

see there i go, i just cant stay away from this thread.... good conversation nonetheless.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    doesnt sound like the systems fault. sounds like a work ethic.

I honestly don't agree. I had the work ethic, I just couldn't bring myself to apply it to things that I found so boring. I even learned the material fine, well enough to rock my SAT's and get a national merit scholarship. I just hated the classroom and the homework.

i disagree wholeheartedly that the system was designed and caters to females.

see there i go, i just cant stay away from this thread.... good conversation nonetheless.

So why do females excel in our school system compared to males?

It is a good conversation, though.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    i disagree.

Once again reinforcing the false belief that the world revolves around their butt. :rolleyes:

How is creating an educational curriculum tailored to a student's needs a bad thing? Isn't that what all teachers strive for?

So again, explain to me why girl's succeed so much more in school than boys.

Does that seem right to you? Or is this a clue that maybe they're doing something wrong?

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    A 7-year old boy shouldn't have to adapt to school.

The school should adapt to him.
    Schools have been adapting for over 30 years at the demand of new age parents. You see where that has gotten us.

Parents refuse to take a leadership role and crack the whip at home. "My little darling can't be this stupid, it must be the school's fault". Then they demand the school adapt and change to "meet the needs" of stupid Johnny and their lack of parenting skills.

It's always the fault of someone else. This country lacks personal responsibility.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Schools have been adapting for over 30 years at the demand of new age parents. You see where that has gotten us.

Parents refuse to take a leadership role and crack the whip at home. "My little darling can't be this stupid, it must be the school's fault". Then they demand the school adapt and change to "meet the needs" of stupid Johnny and their lack of parenting skills.

It's always the fault of someone else. This country lacks personal responsibility.

I am a prime example of this not being reflective of reality. My parents cracked every whip they could think of. Cracking a whip doesn't change the fact that some children can't just shut off their brains and their bodies and listen to mindless drivel all day long.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Also, trying to call this "new-age" is absurd. There's nothing traditional in human history about forcing little kids to sit in little seats like drones.

Kids grew up learning from their parents and the people around them. Learning trades, learning the family business, learning how to work.

Cramming a bunch of completely different children into a little room and expecting them to learn the exact same way is "new-age".

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I am a prime example of this not being reflective of reality. My parents cracked every whip they could think of. Cracking a whip doesn't change the fact that some children can't just shut off their brains and their bodies and listen to mindless drivel all day long.
    One persons mindless drivel is another persons education opportunity.
    Providing they are receptive to the learning process. :twocents:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Then your parents should have been responsible for finding a method so you learned.

Changing the way students are educated hasn't gotten us very far in the past 30 years. Go watch what pours out the doors of your local high school at 3:10 PM. This is what "lowering the standards so stupid Johnny gets it" has gotten us.

Scrap all this "new age" BS and get back to basics. If that doesn't work send them to Catholic school. Nothing like an angry nun and the fear of God to help pull your head out of your ass. :twocents:

Oh...I would be in favor of a class on personal responsibility...although most people would undoubtedly fail it.

For the record...I despise public education. Mainly for what it's been turned into because of inept parenting skills.

Stop coddling Little Johnny and hold him responsible.

Last edited:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Then your parents should have been responsible for finding a method so you learned.

I agree. And they did. However, learning is not the same as succeeding in public schools.

Changing the way students are educated hasn't gotten us very far in the past 30 years. Go watch what pours out the doors of your local high school at 3:10 PM. This is what "lowering the standards so stupid Johnny gets it" has gotten us.

Scrap all this "new age" BS and get back to basics. If that doesn't work send them to Catholic school. Nothing like an angry nun and the fear of God to help pull your head out of your ass. :twocents:

I don't know where you got anything resembling "new age" or "lowering standards" from anything I've posted.

Oh...I would be in favor of a class on personal responsibility...although most people would undoubtedly fail it.

What does this have to do with personal responsibility? I didn't design the system. The system requires that the kid conform to ridiculous standards that have nothing to do with real life or a real career. Obviously it's up to me to raise my kids so that they succeed in this system, but that doesn't mean I don't have every right to criticize this system and try to fix it as well.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I agree. And they did. However, learning is not the same as succeeding in public schools.

how so?

I don't know where you got anything resembling "new age" or "lowering standards" from anything I've posted.

new age implying that when disciplinary rights were taken away from teachers, (going politically correct) and the no child left behind act mean that there were more cracks that are easier to slip through. pass the problem on if you will, hence the lowering graduation rates

What does this have to do with personal responsibility? I didn't design the system. The system requires that the kid conform to ridiculous standards that have nothing to do with real life or a real career. Obviously it's up to me to raise my kids so that they succeed in this system, but that doesn't mean I don't have every right to criticize this system and try to fix it as well.

what are you doing to fix it besides talking on the internet?

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Then good for your parents. They took the bull by the horns and did what was necessary. Most just blame something else and do nothing.

That wasn't necessarily addressed at you. It's merely how I see it.

IMO...this entire thread has to do with personal responsibility (or lack thereof) by parents and their children's actions.

Compared to the system 30 years ago...I agree...this system sucks. It changed because parents refused to accept their responsibility as parents. And refused to hold their kids responsible for their part of the equation.

30 years ago very few kids dropped out of or failed school. Now it's a common occurrence. Schools changed because lazy, unqualified parents demanded the schools adapt because Johnny couldn't adapt to a "normal" education. That hasn't gotten us very far.

You are correct. You have every right to criticize the system. Just be sure to lay the blame where it's due. It doesn't all fall on one side. There is plenty to go around.

Home school...then the parent has no one to blame but themselves.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

I did poorly in school and have still succeeded in my career. The two are not necessarily linked.

new age implying that when disciplinary rights were taken away from teachers, (going politically correct) and the no child left behind act mean that there were more cracks that are easier to slip through. pass the problem on if you will, hence the lowering graduation rates

I agree with you that neither of those were a good idea. But I don't believe those are the main problems in public schools.

what are you doing to fix it besides talking on the internet?

My kids are nowhere near school age yet. I don't know how to fix it except to keep promoting home-schooling and hoping it doesn't get banned.

Top Bottom