• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    sorry OP, i cant sympathize with you on number 1.

If you are looking to find a holster, etc your gun should be in a case or at least you could have the slide locked back. I would be jumpy as hell if someone pulled a gun from IWB.

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Maybe I should have came in with the weapon in a bag, but heck I was carrying and happend to be driving by on lunch and thought id stop in.

I have talked with someone from the store since this post. They made some very good points. But, it dosent negate what and how everything went down that day.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    In the gunstore you don't know how close you came to getting full mall ninja'ed. In GM, um when uh did you um majbe forget to do the um deodorant thing that morning? Just askin':laugh:

It ain't racial man, 240# white guys get treated the same way. I was looking at holsters and asked one of the clerks if they had any more than what was on display, his response was "I don't know" and then left. Not to check, just left!:xmad:

Walking out the door the little girl up front asked me if I found everything, I told her that I found I shouldn't waste my time in there!:patriot:

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    It might be your avatar!

I am sorry you had bad gunshop ordeals in the same week. But with GM that is to be expected.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I was OC'ing.......

oops my bad.

regardless though, a carry pistol probably shouldnt leave its holster in a gun shop. While YOU know its unloaded, they probably don't know you from Adam. And as insulting as it may be, there ARE a lot of morons out there. I'm sure some of them are even members here. :laugh:

I always bring my handguns in a case, usually with a chamber flag. Coincidentally, I've never had a gun store clerk get ready to draw on me.

ymmv

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    i've been to gander mountain about 50 times since it opened. I've never been offered "help". I've even tried to appear lost and stupid, which isn't that hard for me, and nothing. I went there a week ago to pick up some sub sonic 22, luckily i knew where it was. When i went up to pay for it, no one was running a register except a lady at the customer service desk who was doing a return for a guy. 20 min later someone showed up as the line went from the front of the store all the way to the back.

Reference the gun store thing, a friend of mine works at pops who was explaining how many times a day someone points a loaded gun at him. Most recently a guy in the range comes out waving a loading gun with his hearing protection on saying, "THIS GUN JAMMED". Sometimes those guys get paranoid.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    alwalker84, the Gander Mountain gun section is an "equal opportunity" not good service place.

I'm a middle age white guy and the one near me is a place I can never get anybody behind the counter to help me without a GREAT effort either.

I rarely ever go there anymore.

I get better service dealing with small gun shops.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    I don't waste my time at Gander, too high priced and as@wipes that work there, my bussiness goes to bradis, bob in plainfield and web buying.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    When dealing with a place like GM, I keep it simple. If the customer service reaches an unacceptable level of suckage, that means no money from me.

As for the store clerk, I would agree that letting him know your intentions before reaching for your weapon probably would have been the wisest move, but I also think he had a little mall ninja thing going. I guess he could have thought you were going to rob him even though you were OC'ing and were shopping around, but without me being there it's hard to say. If he was nervous that you were going to handle a loaded weapon in the store, what was he going to do? Did he plan on shooting you if you were careless with your weapon? If that was his thinking, he would wipe out half the patrons of any gun show he attended.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I am sorry that happened to you.

I believe a gun shop clerk or shop owner needs to have the same temprement as a Game Warden. As our County Game warden once said to me, "In the fall every person I am walking up to check whether they are violating the law has a loaded gun in his hand with no witnesses around. You just have to get over that fear and realize most people are reasonable. Emphasis on most."

I have been open a month and a half and I have come to expect and accept that my clients pack heat and are often walking through the door with guns in hand. Some of them are bringing in guns to sell because they inherited them and have no interest or knowledge about gun safety or handling.

There was a shop in Jeffersonville run by a black gentleman, O'Bobs I think was the name, and he drew down and pointed on an middle aged white gentleman one time for doing something similar to what you did. He had brought in a pistol to show his buddy who was at the shop because he knew he would appreciate it. He took it out of the rug to show his buddy when O'Bob pointed his weapon at the guy and told him to drop it. It was the "talk of the town" among the local collectors for a couple of weeks.

I guess what I am saying is if one is concerned about people carrying and handling firearms one probably shouldn't be a game warden or a gun shop clerk. I liked O'Bob and I know he didn't do that because that guy was white. It was his shop and that's how he chose to run it. I am a one man operation but I would fire anyone who did that to one of my customers. Again, I hate to hear that and I think the other poster was correct when he brought up the "mall ninja complex" coming into play.

One thing a cop told me that sticks in my head as well. Crooks don't use holsters! I don't know if that is true or not but he said in 25 years or so of LE he never arrested a criminal that carried his gun in a holster. Just something to chew on.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I dont like to ever pull the racial card, but I will at least mention that im a rather tall black guy. Ive been to every gun shop in the city and have never recieved the treatment I did this particular week...

Discuss...

Maybe if you were shorter :dunno: It could be that you're a victim of height discrimination? Tall people creep me out. I never attend basketball games, not even pee-wee BBall.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    To All Concerned, there is a possibility that I am the "clerk" from Fort Liberty that caused the Op concern. I will not say that Allen is incorrect about anything he said about his experienced that day. Here is part of my pm reply to Allen concerning his Op. I am just explaining how I perceived things that were transpiring in the store.

About a week or so ago, I was helping a customer and in walks the previous mention person with an Ar with the mag in it. He was holding it in a ready position(one hand and the pistol grip, the other on the forearm) I could not tell if he had his finger on the trigger. Yes I went to a ready position. He was instructed to drop the mag, and when he did it was appearant that it was indeed loaded. He was also carry a firearm in a IWB holster.
    While one clerk was in the back boresighting the ar, In walks another customer.#2 He is armed, has a firearm in a small of the back rig. That person is looking at the guns, but he seems to pay more attention to the others in the store instead of the guns. All the while he keeps adjusting his holster or just fiddling with the gun. What was his intentions, was he just a new guy with a new rig, was he looking to rob the place, I have no clue.
    So I maintain a somewhat ready position.
    Then in walks custome #3 asking about a holster, he is a tall black man. I do not recall what he asked for, but indicated he had his firearm and it was "unloaded" he showed me, but honestly I was not paying attention to him, as customer #2 was once again reaching under his shirt towards his firearm.
    Customer #3 is holding his firearm to me in what I thought was "take it and check for yourself" manner so I took the fiream and checked it and handed it back to him. We breifly spoke about his needs. He appeared not to see what he was looking for and left.

Customer #1 gets his ar boresighted and leaves, while customer #2 is still just kinda hanging around. He never asks to see a firearm, does not seem to want to engage in conversation, just acted kinda weird the total time he was there.

So could I have been the issue you had....yes. Was it my intentions as to make you feel uncormfortable, definately not. Did I give the customer proper customer service, no I did not and I actually thought about it later in the day. I just had other issues at hand, but how was customer #3 to know.

I do not know if we interacted togather on that particular day, but if we did I am truly sorry. Because it is definately not how things normally go. Maybe you might reconsider Ft Liberty as a option in your firearm purchases.

If in fact I am the guilty party I do sincerly regret making Allen feel uncomfortable. and also failing to giving him proper service.
    Dominic

alluwant

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    i go to gander the day after thanksgiving an that is it, unless im bored just because it is 2 min away. Gander is the most expensive place in indiana besides DOONNNSSSSS

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Like I said, waaaay too much gun fingering in gun stores.

I gotta stop drinking coffee in the gun stores. I'm too twitchy as it is.:D

Target, those of us who have pushed guns across the glass understand what kind of day you were having.:D

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    Find a shop you like. Patronize them often. They will call you by name when you enter and make you deals. Bring money.
    You have found two shops you don't like. Try some on the far west side (not Don's). There are a couple on the South side but I have no dealings with because of above advice.

Beans&Bullets

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Terre Haute, IN
    I"m from Terre Haute. I have not had any issues with the local GM. They are friendly and always greet me at the gun counter. Then, if I tell them I'm just looking, they leave me alone. That's the way I like it. I agree that it's rare to find anything there at a good price, but, it's fun looking anyway. I have made a couple of purchases of items on SALE at decent prices. I also enjoy the fact that the place is clean and the lighting is such that you can see. I"ve been into several "small" independently owned gun shops that are not very clean and the lighting is poor. Do they have poor lighting to keep you from noticing all the scratches on the used gun you are looking at? And the small shops I"ve been into have ammo that is far more overpriced than Gander. I have made several ammo purchases online and find that is the only place I can get good ammo deals.

Top Bottom