• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    So if it came from an F-86...you have the other 5 in the back, right?

He has the other three...A family member was hunting in the high desert and found the wreck...He contacted ATF about the guns and they told him to cut the receivers and fill the barrels with lead and they had no problem with him keeping them as relics...Cutting the receiver was kind of silly because, as you know, jet fuel is hard on steel...

He said I got "the best" of the four....I am going to try and get the others....I heard the later ones (F 86's) had six guns but this one (supposedly) only had the four....No bones so the pilot must have bailed....

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    He has the other three...A family member was hunting in the high desert and found the wreck...He contacted ATF about the guns and they told him to cut the receivers and fill the barrels with lead and they had no problem with him keeping them as relics...Cutting the receiver was kind of silly because, as you know, jet fuel is hard on steel...

He said I got "the best" of the four....I am going to try and get the others....I heard the later ones (F 86's) had six guns but this one (supposedly) only had the four....No bones so the pilot must have bailed....

Later f-86s carried 4 cannons vs 6 50s. Also just because a plane can carry a certain number of guns does not mean it is during training flights. Lots of times to increase range or conserve on ammunition the number of guns carried change, Some WW II era planes & flights flew with no guns.

Also I am sure your friend was not the 1st at the wreck the easier stuff was taken 1st.

Last edited:

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    You need to post a picture or two of that. I haven't been in your shop for a few weeks, and now look at what I have missed. That'll learn me...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You don't often find a crashed and wrecked F-86 in the desert in Indiana. That's dang rare around these here parts.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Photos of the 50 cal. The 30 cal is for size comparisons and to show him what he can grow up to if he works hard..

15ejvb6.jpg

1ie4j5.jpg

6zslsy.jpg

24wze50.jpg

1zztd2f.jpg

And Rick, I would like to place a few orders if I can. I
    know a guy who needs an engine Speed control lever and connector bar, Magnetic Compass
    and the Ammunition compartment overheat light & switch ..

Moocho thanks

b9d6b92efe15178b5d1e65c8c14f8e94.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Having an intact, functional F-86 would be awesome. With the guns . . . even better.

Who wouldn't enjoy knowing that rhino is tearing around the skies at 500 mph???

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Interesting. That F-86 sitting on a pole at the Clark County Airport represents the kind of aircraft William "Hap" Happel flew in Korea as a Naval Aviator. Sort of a connection there, I guess. There was a lot of buzz about that .50 at American Shooters the other day.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Well an update on the 50 cal from Ricks... about 7 months ago I showed it to a neighbor who immigrated here. As a youth he had worked on guns in the Khyber pass to fight the Russians.. When I showed Awan the gun he ran his hands over it and asked if I wanted him to fix it up.. He explained he worked on worst... So at 1st I thought it was joke, but we went out in the work shed and he started pounding and filing to beat the band.. Well that thing was a mess. But it started to slowly take shape. At first Awan was really POed when I told him we could not make it Full Auto.. But after explaining things to him, I did have to get him a Semi Right side from TNW and many time Awan was able to fashion parts from Scrap metal after hours of pounding and filing... Now things started to get costly when that rascal found out you could order parts over the internet faster then you could fashion it by hand.

So last week he finished.. It looked beautiful. But I was half scared to try it out.. So I invited doggydaddy to have the 1st shot.. He jumped behind that thing gave a quick manual of arms.. Racked a round then he froze and said "This is the gun you got from Rick".. Well I had to come clean and tell him the whole story, then he chickened out taking the 1st shot (some people) and got some poor guy down the range to try it out first... But all worked well and we went though half a belt of ammo before the Mosquitoes drove us from the field..

All I can say is I am going to be a re-pete customer in the future.....

2r1z677.jpg

10ypb0m.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks for letting me shoot that (even if I wasn't the first)! You know you're in for a treat when it takes 4 trips to the car to carry ONE gun and ammo. :D

Not a very flattering photo of me though. They say the camera adds 10 lbs.. I should've stopped you after one picture! :):

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Well an update on the 50 cal from Ricks... about 7 months ago I showed it to a neighbor who immigrated here. As a youth he had worked on guns in the Khyber pass to fight the Russians.. When I showed Awan the gun he ran his hands over it and asked if I wanted him to fix it up.. He explained he worked on worst... So at 1st I thought it was joke, but we went out in the work shed and he started pounding and filing to beat the band.. Well that thing was a mess. But it started to slowly take shape. At first Awan was really POed when I told him we could not make it Full Auto.. But after explaining things to him, I did have to get him a Semi Right side from TNW and many time Awan was able to fashion parts from Scrap metal after hours of pounding and filing... Now things started to get costly when that rascal found out you could order parts over the internet faster then you could fashion it by hand.

So last week he finished.. It looked beautiful. But I was half scared to try it out.. So I invited doggydaddy to have the 1st shot.. He jumped behind that thing gave a quick manual of arms.. Racked a round then he froze and said "This is the gun you got from Rick".. Well I had to come clean and tell him the whole story, then he chickened out taking the 1st shot (some people) and got some poor guy down the range to try it out first... But all worked well and we went though half a belt of ammo before the Mosquitoes drove us from the field..

All I can say is I am going to be a re-pete customer in the future.....

2r1z677.jpg

10ypb0m.jpg

Why were you at the 50 yd range? And what,,. No Spotter Tracers? Tidler is spinning in his boots......

Oh, and good work... Looks nice.

Edit, sorry, with a quick look I thought you were at Elwood before the new benches..

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You know I was pretty shocked also that DD could set there like that without falling over.. But he did have the gun to hold on to ..... EH

You left out the part where I had just done 200 sit-ups. Look how pumped up my abs are! When I looked in the mirror this morning, the swelling still hadn't gone down! :(

Top Bottom